Pantyhose -Yes or No

SewMuch

I've been wanting to ask this for awhile and finally got up the nerve. I know many ladies now go bare-legged, even on the Red Carpet in full evening gowns. But I'm turning 60 this year and I just don't feel "finished" when all dressed up if I'm not wearing stockings. Plus I don't like how my dress shoes feel bare-footed.

So my question is, for formal night on a RCCL cruise will I look horribly out of date wearing pantyhose?

NOOOOOOOO! Hate, hate, hate pantyhose - esopecially when cruising! Of course that's just my personal preference. It's too hot and too uncomfortable to wear pantyhose. It's different when at work cause that's kinda required but when I'm on holidays, the hose go out the window. Wear them if you like - I won't be bothered - and no one else should either - but I certainly won't be joining you :D Be free little legs - be free! LOL

While pantyhose have definitely gone out of style (not in a bad way - culture has just changed), they are definitely still appropriate. If you feel naked without them, wear them - most people will not even take notice.

Also, if you happen to be wearing open-toed shoes, they now make toeless pantyhose.

Sounds like I won't be the only one in hose. That's good.

I used to have a neighbor who ALWAYS wore stockings, even with shorts in the middle of summer! And its not like they were for a medical reason, she just liked how it looked!

I was just thinking how times have changed. Stockings are "out" but girdles are "in" - they just call them Spanx now!

For me the "hose or not" question is usually answered by the shoes I'm wearing. I have some shoes that I wouldn't wear without hose, and others that I wouldn't wear with hose. The weather can be a factor, too - if it's cold I'll wear tights. However, the heat will rarely cause me to not wear them - I live in coastal Georgia where it can be stifling hot in the summer and we're still expected to wear hose at work. I think I've just gotten used to it.

I will wear very sheer pantyhose, Nordstrom has a brand that is 6 denier, the sheerest I've ever found. Of course, since they are so sheer they only last one wearing, but since I only wear them on rare occasion, no problem.

I just picked up a new pair last week, black to go with my knee length cocktail dress and black D'orsay pumps. Now all I have to do is wait 5 more weeks till my next cruise :)

Wear them! I don't feel finished either without them esp. if I'm in a short cocktail dress or a formal gown. I guess if I had perfectly tanned legs, I might try it. :o But that's not going to happen anytime soon. :D

I feel the same way... and keep perfectly tanned legs year round. :D Nah jk, but I prefer a ultra sheer hose, especially Wolford on formal nights.

I sometimes wear them but not very often and only with a closed toe shoe! Please if you are wearing an open toe shoe, do not wear hose unless you get the toeless kind. Also choose the sheerest ones you can find in as close to your own natural skin tone as possible. I think it looks so weird when women wear the "suntan" color which is so, so dated especially when their arms are pale! I am also not a fan of black hose unless you are wearing long sleeves. In my opinion it looks strange to have black legs from the hose and then white arms with a a short sleeved or sleevless dress. I know lots of people will disagree with me on this one though.

I am still thinking of your neighbour wearing them with shorts......that seems strange to me!

I will be wearing them with cocktail length dresses on my formal nights - I think they finish an outfit off. Skin colour or barely black depending on the dress colour - and always with closed toes!

Archived