Can I Bring sanitizing Wipes on Board

quonetta@aol.com

You can bring your clorox wipes! I dont do that yet...I just believe in good hand washing habits ( though obviously not everyone does). That is just me though, and I have never been sick on a cruise. I have never heard that you cant bring them, so by all means bring them.:)

To the OP, we completed a cruise on the Ruby Princess two weeks ago. This was the second cruise after being "sanitized" from a Noro outbreak. We researched lots of information, most of it is also here on CC.

We learned hand alcohol based hand sanitizers do little to prevent spread of Noro. Hand washing is best.

That said, the best thing to clean/wipe down your cabin are bleach based cleaners or wipes. We brought a container of such wipes onto the Ruby without any questions. We then wiped down our cabin completely, including all switches, phones, handles, etc.

Happy to report the cruise went well and no Noro was reported during our 2.12 - 2.19 cruise.

Take care!

I always bring a ziploc with Clorox wipes and wipe down the room when I first arrive.

I do the same thing as soon as we get in the cabin. I'm sure the stewards clean the rooms but Noro can live on hard surfaces for up to 48 hours.

Im going to do everything I can to prevent it. Yes, washing hands with warm water and soap often and always after getting food at the Lido buffet.

My DH thinks I'm nuts but he got it one cruise and I never have.

I always bring my wipes.

I wipe down door knobs, drawers, counter space, light switches, telephone...anything that dirty hands could have touched.

Please make sure that you wipe them down every time the steward is in your cabin, or that you go out and touch anything anywhere on the ship. If you don't do that there is no point in doing it when you first board because the bacteria and viruses are just replenished whenever any of those things happen.

If you want to stay healthy the best thing to do is to make sure that you are exposed to germs all the time so that you can develop a good immune system, and then wash your hands.

Sure you can but there are hand sanitizers everywhere. Point of fact, you're far better off washing you hands thoroughly (for like 20 or 30 seconds...) with soap and very warm water than using wipes...

:)

Except the hand sanitizer on the ship is Purell and does not contain the ingredient that kills Norovirus, where Clorox wipes DO.

Yuppa - the Purell hand sanitizer, while it does a good job of killing rotovirus, does a poor job of killing norovirus. The CDC says that the best thing is thorough hand washing.

Chlorine solution is the best thing to kill the virus on surfaces - Clorox!!

Please make sure that you wipe them down every time the steward is in your cabin, or that you go out and touch anything anywhere on the ship. If you don't do that there is no point in doing it when you first board because the bacteria and viruses are just replenished whenever any of those things happen.

Well that would make me a fanatic, wouldn't it??? LOL

Clorox wipes aren't meant for use on your skin - they are for hard surfaced like countertops, toilets, remotes, etc.

You want something like "Wet-Ones" for use on hands. I travel with these for since sometimes public restrooms in foreign places don't have soap or sometimes even water. :eek:

I've got a travel size pack of Clorox Wipes I got free somewhere - I've packed them in case of a hotel room that might be yucky but have actually never used them. Never gotten sick on a cruise, either.

Use common sense, wash your hands regularly after touching public items (the slot machines are the one that get me!) and avoid touching your face with your hands. Other than that, let your immune system take care of it.

Honestly it doesn't take long at all because I have DH and DS chip in and help. :D

Ok...that is good LOL...I had fears that you were missing sail away party while wiping down the room!:D Seriously, I'm not questionning your use of the wipes. I have those in my home, and use them a LOT!. Just havent thought of bringing any with me on a cruise, since, I fly to port of departure and have to limit my baggage.

So happy to hear you have good help, and I hope that I get to inherit one of your staterooms some day when you are getting off, and Im getting on! I know that it will be "clorox clean" :)

Archived