In port Lunch

big green

Are NCL MDRs still open for lunch in port on all their ships??

The MDR was NOT open for lunch on port days when I was aboard the Pearl last fall. I believe I saw a recent statement from NCL stating that each ship is allowed to set its own policy in this regard. So things may vary from time to time and from ship to ship. Or, in other words, you don't know in advance what to count on. :-(

Too bad, in my opinion. Enjoying a leisurely full-service lunch on a port day was a treat!

Are NCL MDRs still open for lunch in port on all their ships??

Big Green

normally one of the MDR's is open for lunch...in port.

Yes, but they do not want you to go there---I was on the SUN last week and they did not even list it as an option for lunch in the Daily. I went anyway,saw it was open and enjoyed a sitdown lunch SERVED to me!

No...a recent change in policy has meant the MDR may now be closed at lunch while ships are in port. An NCL rep recently posted here that opening the MDR at lunch in port is at the discretion of management. In each of our last two cruises (Gem to Bermuda in October, 2011 and Jewel to FL/Bahamas in January, 2012) the MDR was not open while the ship was in port. (Note: I am talking about port days during the cruise. The MDR was still open on embarkation day.)

Here's the post from NCL public relations explaining the policy: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31941970&postcount=14

No...a recent change in policy has meant the MDR may now be closed at lunch while ships are in port. An NCL rep recently posted here that opening the MDR at lunch in port is at the discretion of management. In each of our last two cruises (Gem to Bermuda in October, 2011 and Jewel to FL/Bahamas in January, 2012) the MDR was not open while the ship was in port. (Note: I am talking about port days during the cruise. The MDR was still open on embarkation day.)

Here's the post from NCL public relations explaining the policy: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31941970&postcount=14

Since all ships do not have a Blue Lagoon--like the Sun--I find this unacceptable for the Sun or any NCL ship that does not have an option like the Blue Lagoon.

Bg

I totally agree with you BG. I hate buffets and do not accept this as the only option for a cruise line that boasts 13 restaurants. Some folks like us consider the ship a destination.

Luckily I have the option of the suite venue for lunch. Otherwise would NOT be happy.

Since all ships do not have a Blue Lagoon--like the Sun--I find this unacceptable for the Sun or any NCL ship that does not have an option like the Blue Lagoon.

Bg

just a cost saving measure.. if they stayed open ncl prices would increase.. what do you want a open mdr for.lunch or higher cruise prices

just a cost saving measure.. if they stayed open ncl prices would increase.. what do you want a open mdr for.lunch or higher cruise prices

I want a MDR open in port like it use to be--if you want cheap cruise another

line.

BG

Gee--I must have missed that!

I am disappointed with this change..

I want a MDR open in port like it use to be--if you want cheap cruise another

line.

BG

theres a cheaper line than ncl? been on 3 cruises i checked other lines ncl had them beat by 50 to 300 bucks

but really how many ate n the mdr for lunch? theres a reason its left up to the ship now.. they prolly have to hit a certain % to open the mdr so they dont loose money

theres a cheaper line than ncl? been on 3 cruises i checked other lines ncl had them beat by 50 to 300 bucks

but really how many ate n the mdr for lunch? theres a reason its left up to the ship now.. they prolly have to hit a certain % to open the mdr so they dont loose money

Depends were you are cruising to--Costa is the cheapest in the Carribbean.

BG

It's too bad the sun doesn't have a 24hr included eatery like the others. Even if they combined it with another venue like the java cafe to give another option.

The MDR was never even busy when we went on ship days, so I can understand why they leave it to the ship for the decision to open or not. If the ship was in a port where a lot of passengers stayed onboard it would make it worth it to open but if it was at a port where most don't stay on board it wouldn't be worth it to open.

So I guess my only suggestion is either book a line that does have more lunch options or book another ship on NCL that has the blue lagoon if you wish to stay on board for lunch.

Does the Sun not have a buffet or a sports bar?

I believe the sports bar doesn't open until 5:30pm however there is lunch served in Moderno. Used to be in Pacific Heights. Stuff like Pizza, pasta station and stir fry station. A good alternative to the buffet.

While in port, why not try a local restaurant. We do.

IF we get off the ship..we do...BUT-on some cruises we stay onboard..just to relax and then enjoy a leisurely, served/sit down lunch..;)

Archived