Silly Question about Cruisers with contact lenses

I know this will sound silly, but I want to know what others do. I am now wearing soft multi-focal contact lenses. I have not been on a cruise or swimming since getting these lenses. What do those of you who wear lenses (soft) do for swimming or beach? I know for sure that I don't want to deal with my glasses, but I do what to be able to see without everything being blurry. They say not to shower, swim, etc. in soft lenses. Wish I could afford Lasik, but that is out of the question. I would love to know what others do. Just put up with blurry vision or what? Thanks in advance for your replies.:confused:

I'm a diver and I have soft contact lenses for diving. Water magnifies and I have no problem seeing underwater, including my computer. I normally wear bifocal contacts and at their price I'm not about to risk losing them in the ocean.

My contacts stay in for 2 weeks at a time per the manufacturer's instructions. I've swam in our pool with them but haven't tried salt water. Given that they are two week disposables, I always have a spare pair in my bag (along with my glasses) just in case.

You may want to check with your eye doctor/optician. When we were getting ready for our honeymoon, they gave me a different style of contacts to try/wear for our trip. Great low cost solution. :)

I had never been told not to wear my soft contacts while swimming or showering. Guess you learn something new everyday; however, with that said, I have been diving, snorkeling, swimming in salt and chlorine water in my Contact Dailies for the last 10 years. I don't always change them on a daily basis either. However, if you were told by your eye professional not to-I wouldn't take any chances. Ask if you could use goggles with them.

I'm a diver and I have soft contact lenses for diving. Water magnifies and I have no problem seeing underwater, including my computer. I normally wear bifocal contacts and at their price I'm not about to risk losing them in the ocean.

Why would someone take their computer underwater?

I've been wearing soft contact lenses since I was 16 (which is longer than I'd like to admit), and no one ever told me not to swim or shower in them. Common sense says that if you are planning to open your eyes underwater while swimming you should wear goggles. I'm not a serious swimmer - just cool off and splash around for fun, so I never felt the need to use goggles. I don't go under water often and when I do I just shut my eyes. As another poster indicated - when I travel I always bring an extra paid with me, just in case.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am not sure if my doctor told me not to swim in them or what, but they are the Air Optix multi focals. I don't see how it could hurt if I don't open my eyes under water. I will definitely be bringing an extra pair with me just in case something were to happen. Sorry it was a pretty silly question, but I just wasn't sure what other contact wearers did. Only had glasses on my last cruise 2.5 years ago.

I have soft contacts, disposable monthly lenses and I swim in them all the time.

If I'm doing laps, I wear goggles but if I'm just at the beach or pool for fun I just wear the lenses and don't open my eyes under water.

I always bring one or 2 extra pairs with me on vacation but so far (knock wood) have never lost one.

When I snorkel I wear them and the mask keeps the water out so I'm fine.

I wouldn't wear them in the ocean. I got an ulcerated cornea from swimming in the ocean at Bethany Beach, DE. This was about 11 years ago. Thank heavens I had internet access and could catch it early. I self-diagnosed my problem, called the ophthalmologist, was treated all in about a half an hour. No waiting anywhere. You can lose your sight.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am not sure if my doctor told me not to swim in them or what, but they are the Air Optix multi focals. I don't see how it could hurt if I don't open my eyes under water. I will definitely be bringing an extra pair with me just in case something were to happen. Sorry it was a pretty silly question, but I just wasn't sure what other contact wearers did. Only had glasses on my last cruise 2.5 years ago.

I wear the exact same type (and yes they are expensive), I close my eyes while swiming and bring an extra set or two just in case. A couple of year ago I also had a pair a goggles because I was planning to snorkel and for that you need your eyes open ;):p:cool:

Don't feel bad, I was going thru the same feelings the first time.

Regards

It maybe the area I live, just off the beach, but every optometrist or ophthalmologist I've ever had lens prescribed by have told me no swimming ocean or pool and no hot tubs w/ the lens in. A few pointed out ,if I mentioned it, that snorkeling and short dives are ok because of the mask, and showering was ok but not if I was washing my hair. Most contacts (hard or soft; daily throwaways or extended wear) generally prohibit you from wearing them while swimming in salt or chlorinated water because minerals can get behind the lens to scratch or burn your cornea and in the case of chlorine it can additionally deform or cloud contact lens. If you want to keep the contacts on in while swimming just slip on a decent pair of goggles as you go in the water (avoid the dollar store ones but no need of a $200 prescription pair).

Why would someone take their computer underwater?

It's my dive computer that I wear on my wrist.

One warning for soft contact lenses, it will burn like the dickens if you get salt water in your eyes and the lenses will make it worse due to trapping the water against your cornea.

Huh. You learn something new every day.

I've had my soft contacts for about 13 years now. My doctor told me I could swim in them as long as I didn't open my eyes. Mine are supposed to be replaced every month and I have worn them in showers, hot tubs, oceans, pools, etc, etc, and never had any problem. As others said I would definitely travel with an extra pair.

I agree with the OP, I HATE wearing and dealing with glasses!

I've never been told not to wear my contacts in the shower or when swimming either. I've been wearing contacts from the time I was 16 (now 46) and have never had a problem with swimming in a pool, at the beach, hot tub or snorkeling.

I have always kept my eyes closed when swimming in a pool. However, when snorkeling of course I use a snorkel mask. I have to see everything that's there and that's the point for snorkeling. :)

Also, BTW, I wear Air Optix Multi-focal as well. :D

Hmm, not to wear while swimming? Don't recall ever being told that and I've worn soft contacts for ~22 years, and while on cruises and enjoying various water activities. I've gone in the ocean, pools, waterslides, etc. with my lenses in. Never had a problem. (various Acuvue lenses)

I ALWAYS carry spares in case something happens to one (or both).

Have fuN!!!

One warning for soft contact lenses, it will burn like the dickens if you get salt water in your eyes and the lenses will make it worse due to trapping the water against your cornea.

Good to know. But, what in the salt water causes that to happen, compared to saline?

I'm not sure, but probably the salt content is higher and there's a whole lot of other stuff potentially in the water that could cause irritation. I had a dive the other day where I got some salt water in my eyes and it did burn for a few minutes.

I've been wearing soft contacts (daily wear, disposable monthly) for over half my life and never had a problem w/ wearing them in or around water. Also, I don't have prescription sunglasses, so I'd hate to be out in the bright sun w/ just my regular glasses.

I don't do "serious" swimming, but I've been at the beach and in pools plenty. I usually do close my eyes underwater in the pool. I plan on snorkeling w/ them on our cruise this summer...if I took my contacts out, I wouldn't be able to see a darn thing! ;)

I know this will sound silly, but I want to know what others do. I am now wearing soft multi-focal contact lenses. I have not been on a cruise or swimming since getting these lenses. What do those of you who wear lenses (soft) do for swimming or beach? I know for sure that I don't want to deal with my glasses, but I do what to be able to see without everything being blurry. They say not to shower, swim, etc. in soft lenses. Wish I could afford Lasik, but that is out of the question. I would love to know what others do. Just put up with blurry vision or what? Thanks in advance for your replies.:confused:

I don't know who says not to swim or shower in soft lenses. I've worn the multi-focus soft lenses as well as regular soft lenses for over 20 years and have always swam with them in both in fresh and salt water. I also dive with them in, as many people I know do. Unless I'm wearing a dive mask, I don't usually open my eyes underwater (especially not in a pool), but I've accidentally done so. I've never had a bit of a problem. Of course, I always shower with my lenses in if I've got them on. I'm not sure why you thought you couldn't do so?:confused:

My contacts stay in for 2 weeks at a time per the manufacturer's instructions. I've swam in our pool with them but haven't tried salt water. Given that they are two week disposables' date=' I always have a spare pair in my bag (along with my glasses) just in case.

You may want to check with your eye doctor/optician. When we were getting ready for our honeymoon, they gave me a different style of contacts to try/wear for our trip. Great low cost solution. :)[/quote']

That's the kind I have, too. Salt water is easier on the lenses that the chlorinated pool water.

It's my dive computer that I wear on my wrist.

That hasn't been my experience. Salt water has never burned my eyes more with my contact lenses in than out. However, chlorinated pool water has made my contacts feel bad and sticky if I get that water in my eyes.

I have worn contacts while diving and swimming. I always wear goggles if i am going to be doing anything other than walking the beach. The only time I have lost a contact is when a large wave caught me by surprise while in knee deep water and tossed me off my feet- you can't help but open your eyes to try and find "up".

The other problem is sea water is not clean - there's a lot of bacteria and other organisms that thrive in the wonderful bath temps of the Caribbean . So even though you may not open your eyes, you still could contaminate your contacts when you rub them after coming out of the water. Not to mention how hard crusty dried salt and sand can be on the lens of the eye. Scratches are miserable feeling and you can't wear contacts while they heal ( it makes it worse).

I take a couple extra pairs, and toss the ones I wore at the end of the week just to be certain. And yes, I am a physician.

Archived