Ruby has Noro again....

mikew40

I posted this just to let everyone know that the virus has been reported on the ship. I agree that it's everywhere but some people like to know when this happens on a ship that they are getting on. Sometimes it helps to have an idea of what is going on to possibly make plans. It is kind of odd that the virus was not reported on the Ruby until late in the evening after the ship completed the visit to Sint Marteen. I and my wife are having a great time, the crew is absolutely great, the CD is lovely, more on that later. I really hope they cancel the cruise Saturday night and give everyone a 100% refund though........:D

It could also be terminal or itinerary related (maybe one port has it bad as well)..

The biggest obstacle to containing an outbreak is people, crew or passengers who don't abide by restrictions ("Dang it I paid for this cruise..."). It's entirely possibly crew on this ship are not following as tight quarantine as they should.

Then again, it could be something as simple as a bad batch of disinfectant. That happened around here somewhere a few years ago, they couldn't figure out why the problem kept coming back until the tested the 55 gal drums of disinfectant and found they had only 1/3 or so the actual active ingredient they were supposed to.

People say that it can happen at any time, but the fact that the it keeps returning to the same two ships makes me think that Princess/the staff are doing something that is keeping it from being eliminated.

I posted this just to let everyone know that the virus has been reported on the ship. I agree that it's everywhere but some people like to know when this happens on a ship that they are getting on. Sometimes it helps to have an idea of what is going on to possibly make plans. It is kind of odd that the virus was not reported on the Ruby until late in the evening after the ship completed the visit to Sint Marteen. I and my wife are having a great time, the crew is absolutely great, the CD is lovely, more on that later. I really hope they cancel the cruise Saturday night and give everyone a 100% refund though........:D

Thank you for the update. Glad you and your wife are enjoying the cruise. Have a terrific afternoon on Grand Turk.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, hand sanitizer does NOTHING to protect you from the noro virus, NOTHING. It may protect you from E. coli or other bacterias but does NOTHING for noro. The ONLY thing that is helpful is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for 20 seconds frequently, especially after using the bathroom and before eating. Doing this does not kill the virus but rather washes it down the drain.

people say that it can happen at any time, but the fact that the it keeps returning to the same two ships makes me think that princess/the staff are doing something that is keeping it from being eliminated.

i have never heard as ridiculous a statement and accusation

The announcement came as we were leaving the ship heading to the beach that the outbreak seems to be under control and is subsiding. BEAUTIFUL day in Grand Turk, enjoying my lunch at the Jack Shack watching Toby dig holes.......

The announcement came as we were leaving the ship heading to the beach that the outbreak seems to be under control and is subsiding. BEAUTIFUL day in Grand Turk, enjoying my lunch at the Jack Shack watching Toby dig holes.......

That's GREAT news that they seem to have it controlled! We'll be on Ruby in 3 weeks + 2 days :D

Continue to enjoy your cruise!! Does Jack's have free wi-fi?

i have never heard as ridiculous a statement and accusation

Wait wait, I don't think robgvic meant the Princess staff is INTENTIONALLY doing something to keep it "noro" from being eliminated...

But there is a point that the same two ships, the Ruby and the Crown, both out of Port Everglades, and in and out weekly on Saturdays and Sundays, have been the two Princess ships most recent in the noro headlines. However, the Crown had a 48 hour deep cleaning 4 weeks ago and we've been hearing good reports since...

I hope the Ruby passengers don't "infect" the cruise terminal, which could allow this to be passed back to the Crown, and then the cycle goes back to the Ruby and vice versa ad nauseum. Literally.

Several people have said it. Deep clean the terminal the same time as you're cleaning the ships.

Wait wait, I don't think robgvic meant the Princess staff is INTENTIONALLY doing something to keep it "noro" from being eliminated...

But there is a point that the same two ships, the Ruby and the Crown, both out of Port Everglades, and in and out weekly on Saturdays and Sundays, have been the two Princess ships most recent in the noro headlines. However, the Crown had a 48 hour deep cleaning 4 weeks ago and we've been hearing good reports since...

I hope the Ruby passengers don't "infect" the cruise terminal, which could allow this to be passed back to the Crown, and then the cycle goes back to the Ruby and vice versa ad nauseum. Literally.

Several people have said it. Deep clean the terminal the same time as you're cleaning the ships.

The Ruby and Crown are both scheduled to sail from alternative cruise terminals(#21/#19) this weekend.Not the usual #2. However, there is a three day event at the Convention Center March 2-4. Parking and traffic control could be the reason other than terminal cleaning.

That's encouraging news. Hopefully your next post will be that the code red has been lifted. Can't wait to be sitting at the Shack next Friday enjoying lunch beach side.:cool:

No one ever said they were CODE RED!!!! She said " We are now in lockdown, no salt etc............. "

First of all - what is lock down???? Never heard that term with Noro?

And I still wonder how many cases are not Noro but just sea sick - and some people can be sea sick without rough water. And lets say someone had a little too much to drink - I never do - but lets say "things are not as firm as normal". Is the steward suppose to report that and say the toilet was a mess and that means they have Noro??????

Noro is all over the schools here and one of the nursing homes closed their doors and will not allow anyone in.

We brought disenfective spray and wipes and re cleaned our cabin the day we got on the Ruby after an outbreak. My question is what did they serve in the dinninhg room night before the out break?

Could it be the dock workers?

Yikes!!! :eek: I am going to go home tonight and mix my Milkshake Martini with Immodium AD -- that way I will be ready for my Ruby cruise on 3/11/12... I love to invent new cocktails for the cruise...

Seriously, we have been through this several times and as long as we take the proper precautions -- we should all be fine.

Everyone have a great weekend -- now it's time for my "MilkyImmod" Martini -- LeChaim --Yummy...:)

We brought disenfective spray and wipes and re cleaned our cabin the day we got on the Ruby after an outbreak. My question is what did they serve in the dinninhg room night before the out break?

Could it be the dock workers?

Sam.

We did the same thing -- brought disenfectant spray and wipes and cleaned the cabin, even though it looked spotless. Went over the TV report, hairdryer, bathroom, all buttons and switches. Then we went on our way and all went well.

Donna

Lots of posts about about Noro outbreaks in the northeastern states. I believe Noro on cruise ships does not come from one source, but likely many. Deep cleaning the ships and the cruise terminals is one way of controlling it. Maybe no one from up north should be allowed on also as a means of precaution. :)

As someone else posted, we don't live in a bubble. I'm on a plane right now and the woman seated next to me keeps sneezing. It's life and there isn't much you can do about it other than to try to stay well by taking care of yourself, eating well, getting sleep, drinking lots of water and washing your hands every chance you get. Oh, yeah, I forgot the positive emotional outlook! That's number one!

Happy and healthy cruising everyone!

No one ever said they were CODE RED!!!! She said " We are now in lockdown, no salt etc............. "

First of all - what is lock down???? Never heard that term with Noro?

And I still wonder how many cases are not Noro but just sea sick - and some people can be sea sick without rough water. And lets say someone had a little too much to drink - I never do - but lets say "things are not as firm as normal". Is the steward suppose to report that and say the toilet was a mess and that means they have Noro??????

Noro is all over the schools here and one of the nursing homes closed their doors and will not allow anyone in.

What is the correct term that Princess uses when there is a illness outbreak and normal service procedures are withdrawn? I have read in many posts on the Princess board's that it is called code red.

Jacks Shack dose have free Wi Fi. Getting ready to head back to the ship. We are doing the Ultimate Balcony dinner tonight with some special requests. This has been absoutley the best day on Grand Turk. Excusee my spelling to many Presidente's.

Some hand sanitizers WILL KILL NORO! Benzethonium Chloride and Benzalkonium Chloride DO KILL norovirus! Products with either of the these active ingredients WILL kill norovirus. Purell just kills bacterial and won't touch Noro.

Wet Ones brand wipes have Benzethonium Chloride as the active ingredient and it’s widely available in most stores. Clorox wipes DO NOT contain Benzethonium Cl and do not kill noro.

Purchase and carry Wet Ones on board with you. As soon as you enter your room take 20 minutes or less and wipe down everything you will touch...light switches, drawer pulls, door handles...you get the picture. Then wipe down chairs, etc on your balcony if you have one. Then wash your hands.

Wash your hands as part of your normal routine every time before you leave your room.

If everyone boarding Princess would do these simple things odds of a Noro-free cruise go way up!

New emergence email from Princess saying they are delaying our embarkation on Sunday to disinfect the ship!

We cant board until 3pm. Wonder when we will actually sail.

I would rather not wait forever in line getting exposed to other people but don't want to be late boarding.

Any suggestions on when to arrive for this kind of problem?

Some hand sanitizers WILL KILL NORO! Benzethonium Chloride and Benzalkonium Chloride DO KILL norovirus! Products with either of the these active ingredients WILL kill norovirus. Purell just kills bacterial and won't touch Noro.

Wet Ones brand wipes have Benzethonium Chloride as the active ingredient and it’s widely available in most stores. Clorox wipes DO NOT contain Benzethonium Cl and do not kill noro.

Purchase and carry Wet Ones on board with you. As soon as you enter your room take 20 minutes or less and wipe down everything you will touch...light switches, drawer pulls, door handles...you get the picture. Then wipe down chairs, etc on your balcony if you have one. Then wash your hands.

Wash your hands as part of your normal routine every time before you leave your room.

If everyone boarding Princess would do these simple things odds of a Noro-free cruise go way up!

So, is it better then to wipe down your cabin with Wet Ones vs. the green packaged Chlorox wipes? :confused:

New emergence email from Princess saying they are delaying our embarkation on Sunday to disinfect the ship!

We cant board until 3pm. Wonder when we will actually sail.

I would rather not wait forever in line getting exposed to other people but don't want to be late boarding.

Any suggestions on when to arrive for this kind of problem?

I spoke with a very nice P.R. and she told me that 4pm would be a good time to check in at the convention center and then directly go to board the ship. I am going to call again late tomorrow to see if anything has changed. I find Princess customer service to be very professional. Don't hesitate to call them with any questions or concerns.

Archived