Rum Runner-Naughty Room

Does what happens in the naughty room, stay in the naughty room? No really...what happens when they take you there? What are the reprocutions other than having the stuff confiscated?

They make you put your hands on the table and smack them with a ruler.

No, they just take the naughty stuff out and send you on your way.

It always surprises me how people freak out and feel the need to comment of the size of bar tabs. $650 isn't a lot of a couple on a 7 day cruise at all.

It's not always how much you drink but what you drink.

One shot of Louis XIII will run you over $85 + tip. Not sure of the price of Dom but it is at least $125 + tip. All those "foo foo" drinks people like around the pool run about $7 bucks each. It doesn't take much to tally up a big tab.

Our bill as a couple always peaks over a grand. It's just the price of cruising.

The last time I looked a bottle of Dom was about $234 on the ship....

I plan on smuggling booze on board because I'm cheap and I want to stiff the cruise line. No really, that's not completely true.

The fact is the cruise line wants to stiff me. It's no different than going to a pro-ball game. The stadium charges you $8 for a $2 hot dog. On the cruise ship you are a captive audience. There is no competition for where or what you can buy. Some of us prefer a cruise for many different reasons. But the fact is having a good number of drinks may be a big part of our vacation. It can add up quickly. What, the booze package alone that is offered on the UK ship is $70/day or something like that. So obviously a week can give someone a bar bill of $500, and that's just one person.

If I thought I had no choice but to buy only the ship's booze then I'd probably book a hotel on an island where I could buy what I wanted at a competitive price. Fact is the ship sells booze in bottles for a good price. But they won't let you drink it. It's the cruise ship saying to you, "Hey we know this stuff doesn't cost much but if you want to have it here then you have to take the 500% markup plus tip.

So the holier than thou people that like to belittle the smugglers can just keep to themselves. If you don't like it then don't open these threads. The rest of us are just trying to communicate ideas and we just don't need to hear about your morals. And on top of that all the threads with the good ideas and info get deleted because of the idiots that have to pop in and flame us for discussing the issue

I know this post is 10 months old, but I agree 100%.

Sigh. why do we have to explain this over and over?

We care because your behavior effects all of us. We all may have to go to naughty room even if we are not smuggling, this has happened. It also effects prices.

Furthermore I'm sure these are the same people who stole towels, so now I have to check them out. They are also the people in general who don't think the rules apply to them, and this creates all kinds of trouble in society.

I'm a computer gamer/geek, as you may know piracy is a huge problem. Ditto for music and movies. Interestingly people who justify illegal downloads use the exact same argument, such as "I already gave this company X$," or "this company makes so much money already," or "it's not fair they charge so much."

Finally, why are people shocked to be judged? There are many many examples of behaviors that don't hurt anyone but are condemed by many due to their opinion of morality. I won't give any examples so as not to break the rules of the board but I'm sure you can think of some.

Even if you don't agree I'm sure we can all agree that it's best not to discuss it as RCL monitors the boards.

Now MOST IMPORTANT, what is often lost in thse discussions is simply this: I don't think it's a huge deal. It's wrong but I'm not saying that people who smuggle are horrible criminals that should be whipped.

I think the way that most people who take booze onboard may look at it is like how a theatre charges $10 for a box of popcorn and a drink for $6. It is outrageous to charge that much for $1's worth of food and drink. It is called " being in a closed market". You want it, they have it, and you are not supposed to bring it with you. It is not a matter of being a thief, it is a matter of paying fare and equittable prices for something. Not everyone who cruises is rich or even comfortably well-off. That doesn't mean they don't deserve to cruise. I saved for months to be able to go on a cruise. Worked and sweated for every penney. I doubt the price of a cruise is changed much at all due to " smugglers "' The cruise lines expect it and there is no way to catch them all. Too time consuming and not in their best interest to detain a bunch of paying customers who may or may not have a pint in their luggage. If they catch 5% of them, they would be lucky. It comes down to general economics. Cause vs. costs. I will say, if you plan on doing it, don't boast about in in a public forum. Just makes you look like a troll looking to cause havoc on the forum. If you are not taking booze onboard, don't be sucked in by the trolls out there. This is a great and informative web-site, and we are the ones who control the content on here as well as what you decide you are going to read. More than twice as many people here have read this thread as have read the ruless for the forum. That says something to me. I will get down off my box now !!

Edited by JYD Hawkeye

I think the way that most people who take booze onboard may look at it is like how a theatre charges $10 for a box of popcorn and a drink for $6. It is outrageous to charge that much for $1's worth of food and drink. It is called " being in a closed market". You want it, they have it, and you are not supposed to bring it with you. It is not a matter of being a thief, it is a matter of paying fare and equittable prices for something. Not everyone who cruises is rich or even comfortably well-off. That doesn't mean they don't deserve to cruise. I saved for months to be able to go on a cruise. Worked and sweated for every penney. I doubt the price of a cruise is changed much at all due to " smugglers "' The cruise lines expect it and there is no way to catch them all. Too time consuming and not in their best interest to detain a bunch of paying customers who may or may not have a pint in their luggage. If they catch 5% of them, they would be lucky. It comes down to general economics. Cause vs. costs. I will say, if you plan on doing it, don't boast about in in a public forum. Just makes you look like a troll looking to cause havoc on the forum. If you are not taking booze onboard, don't be sucked in by the trolls out there. This is a great and informative web-site, and we are the ones who control the content on here as well as what you decide you are going to read. More than twice as many people here have read this thread as have read the ruless for the forum. That says something to me. I will get down off my box now !!

Your analogy is actually very good.

You simply don't understand the economics of either movie theaters or cruiselines.

The initial "entrance" fee - movie ticket or cruise fare - barely covers or does NOT cover the cost of the movie/cruise. It is the extra spending that allows the theater owner/cruiseline to stay in business.

If you tip that balance, the movie theater/cruiseline stops making money and goes out of business.

No more movies with overpriced popcorn or cruiselines with perfectly reasonably priced drinks.

Just a bunch of cheapos without movie theater or cruises.

Your analogy is actually very good.

You simply don't understand the economics of either movie theaters or cruiselines.

The initial "entrance" fee - movie ticket or cruise fare - barely covers or does NOT cover the cost of the movie/cruise. It is the extra spending that allows the theater owner/cruiseline to stay in business.

If you tip that balance, the movie theater/cruiseline stops making money and goes out of business.

No more movies with overpriced popcorn or cruiselines with perfectly reasonably priced drinks.

Just a bunch of cheapos without movie theater or cruises.

Oh contraire mon cherie, I do understand. I meant this analogy as to the average percentile of people who engage in this activity and not to my own. It is not my perception of the issue.

Oh contraire mon cherie, I do understand. I meant this analogy as to the average percentile of people who engage in this activity and not to my own. It is not my perception of the issue.

That's "au contraire" and "ma cherie" to YOU! ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

• 1 year later...

Maybe because it was around Spring Break time, but rum runners didn't work for us. We put 3 rum runners in 2 different bags (1 very small one, 2 larger). We put them in between shoes, snorkel equipment, etc. We didn't get our luggage until very late that evening and when we did, all the rum runners were gone. Our steward told us they had been trying to find us (I presume to tell us to come to the naughty room), but we were out all day.

We were very surprised that they were taken out of both bags --did they target us? Seemed strange to us.

Lesson learned! Now we just bring the legal wine and don't sweat it.

$13 for an empty bottle....why not just pay $3 for a full one and use the shampoo?

Wish I were smart enough to sell non shampoo for $13...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

I'd be nervous to use these, I mean who brings a 16 oz bottle of shampoo on a cruise? Plus I'm sure the security people are smart enough to search the net to see what people are using.

I've done it both ways (smuggled vs not smuggled) and my tab at the end of the cruise was virtually the same.

I bring my own alcohol on board totally for the convenience of having a nip in the cabin while getting dressed for dinner or as a nightcap. If they offered reasonably priced bar set ups for the cabin I'd do that.

But before they discontinued in-cabin bottles, they were charging 6 times what I'd pay for the same bottle at home.

So the cruise lines themselves instigated this problem by being greedy, and I say more power to the rum runners who succeed! :D

I'd be nervous to use these, I mean who brings a 16 oz bottle of shampoo on a cruise? Plus I'm sure the security people are smart enough to search the net to see what people are using.

Fwiw, my wife and I bring full size toiletries, but we drive to the port. With no flight why be limited in our regular use products?

"Keep moving, this isn't the airlines" and I carried my bottle of rum and Coke on board with me.

You put a smile on my face...what a wonderful thought. Used to do that in my younger years...just in walking around...who knew?? Not too much rye (not rum), just enough to give me a little 'good' feeling. I was happy, everyone was happy....LOL :D:p

As a fellow UK resident, I hope I can explain what rum runners are. They are a way of people smuggling alcohol onboard a cruise ship against the T&Cs of their cruise ticket because they are too cheap to buy it onboard.

And for those who use them, please do not try and justify your actions on using them, it does not wash with me, the cost and convenience of getting a drink onboard a RCI ship is so easy, it's called room service, or heaven forbid, go to the nearest bar (which is never far away) and purchase an alcoholic beverage, and the value for money for the cost of a drink onboard against land based costs cannot be justified either. And don't use the excuse RCI don't sell my preferred beverage. You've cruised before to know how to use rum runners, so you also know that the cruise line don't sell your preferred beverage, so choose another vacation where they do sell it, don't stiff the cruise line.

Sorry, but this is a topic that annoys me so much because it means that staff are also missing out on their 15% gratuity that I happily pay, but to some because I am Brit, some people think I must object to because tipping is not in our culture. Not true.

So come on, flame away.

Poor Brits, always having to whinge about something ;)

$13 for an empty bottle....why not just pay $3 for a full one and use the shampoo?

Wish I were smart enough to sell non shampoo for $13...

It is virtually IMPOSSBLE to get the smell of Listerine or shampoo out of a plastic bottle. Believe me, I've tried every way there is.

And it's 2 bottles, not one. So, 6.50 for a bottle is not so bad....