Adding 5th person to cabin later on?

Stacy_C

I am thinking about booking the 10/15 Elation sailing from New Orleans. We are a family of 5. Right now, my 17 year old son isn't sure if he'll want to go or not. I've played around on Carnival's website and I can get the same cabin whether I book 4 passengers now or 5 now. So, what are the drawbacks of booking the cruise now for 4 (because it's at a great price) and adding the 5th person later IF he decides to go? Will there be any penalties, fees, etc? Thanks!

I am thinking about booking the 10/15 Elation sailing from New Orleans. We are a family of 5. Right now, my 17 year old son isn't sure if he'll want to go or not. I've played around on Carnival's website and I can get the same cabin whether I book 4 passengers now or 5 now. So, what are the drawbacks of booking the cruise now for 4 (because it's at a great price) and adding the 5th person later IF he decides to go? Will there be any penalties, fees, etc? Thanks!

The only drawback I can see is that if the ship gets to max capacity, he will not be able to go.

Even if 5 people can technically fit in your room, there is still only a certain amount of passengers they will let on the ship due to lifeboats and things.

the thing I would be worried about is the capacity for your muster station

it can only hold so many people, if you try to add him later, they may not let you.

this has happened to me, when I tried to add a third on one of my cruises

hope this makes sense and helps

I hope he doesnt mind the bed as it will either be a rollaway or a trundle bed. The trundle bed will be too short for him...so have to make sure your cabin steward brings in the rollaway if still available.

Triumph was the last class of ship grandfathered in to allow 5 to be in a quad. So, expect to be wall to wall beds at night.

As long as you don't book ES , you can book the 5th now to avoid any future passenger limitation . Then cancel 5th before final and apply his deposit to your final balance.

It will be very tight with 5 .That rollaway takes up floor space and sharing the bath is a concern.

I'd tell your 17y/o son that it's time to be a grown up and make a decision of whether or not he wants to go on this trip that you have so graciously offered. In or Out, done. Not your problem anymore. :-)

As long as you don't book ES , you can book the 5th now to avoid any future passenger limitation . Then cancel 5th before final and apply his deposit to your final balance.

It will be very tight with 5 .That rollaway takes up floor space and sharing the bath is a concern.

We were able to book pax 1 and 2 with ES.

We added a 3rd pax and put him as a past guest, so he could cancel (which he did).

You can actually mix and match rates for the same cabin on the same booking.

ES and past guest for pax #3 were the same rate, so we made him refundable .. and pax 1 and 2 were not.

We have stayed 5 in a cabin twice before (once was on a 7 night cruise!), so we are well aware of the tight quarters and are ok with that. One of his younger sisters (ages 7 and 11...both very short) will be using the trundle or rollaway bed if he decides to go. So, that should not be a huge issue. Thanks so much for all the replies!

Archived