Info on Papeete hotels, post cruise

cruznliz

We just booked Frequent Flyer Miles for a Princess Tahiti cruise. (We've been hoarding miles for many, many years). Unfortunately, we couldn't get a return flight for the last day of the cruise and might have to stay overnight. ;) We booked the Sofitel Tahiti Resort. Does anyone know if this is in a good location or a decent hotel? How is this location in relation to where Princess docks? Thanks for any help!

We just booked Frequent Flyer Miles for a Princess Tahiti cruise. (We've been hoarding miles for many, many years). Unfortunately, we couldn't get a return flight for the last day of the cruise and might have to stay overnight. ;) We booked the Sofitel Tahiti Resort. Does anyone know if this is in a good location or a decent hotel? How is this location in relation to where Princess docks? Thanks for any help!

Though I have not stayed at the Sofitel Tahiti Resort myself, it is located about 8kms (5 miles) to the west-south-west along the coastal road from downtown Papeete and the Cruise Ship Docks. You will need transportation (taxi or otherwise) from the docks to reach your hotel, though you may want to inquire if transport is possible from the hotel itself (shuttle or confirmed paid transport).

You will actually pass the International Airport on the way to the hotel, and the hotel is located only about 2 miles away from the airport, so your return trip to depart the next day should be quick...

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Enjoy your trip!

-- Darin

cruisechaos at gmail dot com

http://www dot thenextjourney dot com

We have stayed at the Intercontinental many years ago and are going to use it post cruise this year. It is far enough away from town that you feel island life (meaning quite)not city bussle. But close enough that it is a quick ride to town.

Great choices of food and swimming pools also types of rooms.

• 1 month later...

I vote for the Intercontinental as well. It's gorgeous! We booked on Expedia and got a regular room (in hotel section) for only $200 a night. The room was awesome. A tip if you want an overwater bungalow- book a cheaper room and then ask what it would cost to move to an OB. We did that in Moorea, and it saved us about $400 a night!

• 1 month later...

I read a review from April 2012 (Nautica) about visiting the town while waiting for his/her flight.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103226

The writer (Tusconan) says: On the return, same problem: early disembarkation, evening "flight. But this time we were smarter and declined the transfer-with-resort option. Instead we spent the day at the colorful Papeete public market and nearby shops, all quite close to the pier. And a few blocks inland, we found a charming, albeit expensive, place for lunch, La Petite Auberge. Limited menu and they don't speak English, but the food and ambience were wonderful. Afterward we returned to the pier and caught a taxi to the airport. Cost: about $20 for four people, far less than Oceania's transfer."

I am wondering where he would have left his luggage. At the ship? At the port? Is there luggage storage?

you can leave your luggage with the cruise line.

I wwent to the Sofitel for a day it was okay the IC is much better. some people actually catch a ferry and go back to moorea or just get off the ship there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I read a review from April 2012 (Nautica) about visiting the town while waiting for his/her flight.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103226

The writer (Tusconan) says:

Should be Tucsonan.

It looks like we are the same Oceania cruise. Are you concerned about the weather? Any comments appreciated, novice cruisers gabby01

Archived