Planning

lawyerrose

At work and at home, I love my paperwork and planning the day to day, the weekly meal plan, our weekend activities, etc. However, when it comes to cruising, to my surprise, I abhor the planning part. And my husband does it all. Maybe because he doesn't do any of that in our daily life? But like for our Hawaii cruise I told him that all I want to do is go to the beach, and go to Pearl Harbor. So he planned that, and everything else - researched and booked a luau, the bus ride around town, the Spam festival - LOL - but it's a complete role-reversal for us the planning of cruising and when we are leaving, packing, where we are staying. Ick. Too much work for me when I am trying to think of vacation, and this is the part that he loves of the vacation.

Thanks for this thread! I really appreciate some of the sentiments that have been expressed, particularly ANSalberg's cultural comments. My mantra is that travel is the only way to save the world.

I'm a big time planner, and can get much more than a year's worth of excitement just from the browsing and planning. DH used to be happy settling for my information, but he's got the addiction now as well, and enthusiastically joins in the research.

I feel very fortunate to be less a planner today. When I had 1 or maybe 2 trips a year the planning was a wonderful experience. After retirement I've been very fortunate to have had 8 cruises in 2011 and 2 down with 6 to go in 2012. I miss the planning but there is often no time for it and would not give up one of my cruises to do more planning.

The choices we make.

Roy

I too am the planner and absolutely love it. Darling BF is a bit more laid back about it. I'm not 100% sure, but maybe the "packers' and non-planners might feel that if they plan too much that it takes some of the enjoyment/surprise/whimsy out of it? Not sure, but I can't get enough of it. Of course, I'm a meeting planner by profession, so really, it's not a stretch to understand why I love it. That said, Cruise Critic has so much info to peruse, it's impossible not to get caught up in all of it! Yes, I'm a CC addict. Can't help it...won't apologize!!:D

Aside from the practical reasons for booking well in advance there is the added bonus of lots of planning time. Planning is fun and extends the enjoyment you get for your money. I do all the research re flights, hotels, excursions, CC advice etc..

I also do all the packing and usually start laying things out in the spare room six weeks before the cruise. Since we tend to take longer cruises the clothing issue needs careful planning. My husband does not even know what is in his suitcase until he unpacks on the ship.

We buy our excursions well in advance and unless the ship is in port overnight we use ship's tours. We know they are more expensive but there is a comfort level that we like. I book our Pinnacle Grill reservations well in advance and always have a drink card and soda card waiting in the cabin when we board.

For the reservations that cannot be made in advance, I have a list of what I want and make them immediately after boarding.

Then I can sit back, relax and enjoy because everything is in place.

We travel w/ another couple (friends of 40 yrs, our best man and his wife). They could care LESS about the planning. We call and tell them the dates we are planning on going and where, and once they sign on, it's basically up to us. I have his credit card numbers and book the cruise, excursions, hotels, rental car, specialty restaurants, trip insurance, etc. I don't book their air but do the research for them and forward that info via e-mail.

It works for the 4 of us because they roll w/ any punches and never complain or second guess the arrangements. We're not joined at the hip when traveling, but enjoy each other's company and don't see each other all that often as we live 4 hours apart. So more often than not, are together doing things on trips. But it works out nice as the guys can go do one thing while the ladies do another. We always put a male of one couple and a female of the other on the rental car agreement so that either couple can use it on their own or the guys can take off or the ladies.

10 years and many trips later, we're all still speaking to each other and have a trip booked for Dec on Nieuw Amsterdam to celebrate the guys' 65th birthdays (a day apart in age.. he always introduces me as his MUCH older friend *L*)

At work and at home, I love my paperwork and planning the day to day, the weekly meal plan, our weekend activities, etc. However, when it comes to cruising, to my surprise, I abhor the planning part. And my husband does it all. Maybe because he doesn't do any of that in our daily life? But like for our Hawaii cruise I told him that all I want to do is go to the beach, and go to Pearl Harbor. So he planned that, and everything else - researched and booked a luau, the bus ride around town, the Spam festival - LOL - but it's a complete role-reversal for us the planning of cruising and when we are leaving, packing, where we are staying. Ick. Too much work for me when I am trying to think of vacation, and this is the part that he loves of the vacation.

Wow, I can see where I might like that, if I could trust the person planning to do a good job. Guess it's my control issues. Finally, I GET it!:)

We travel w/ another couple (friends of 40 yrs, our best man and his wife). They could care LESS about the planning. We call and tell them the dates we are planning on going and where, and once they sign on, it's basically up to us. I have his credit card numbers and book the cruise, excursions, hotels, rental car, specialty restaurants, trip insurance, etc. I don't book their air but do the research for them and forward that info via e-mail.

It works for the 4 of us because they roll w/ any punches and never complain or second guess the arrangements. We're not joined at the hip when traveling, but enjoy each other's company and don't see each other all that often as we live 4 hours apart. So more often than not, are together doing things on trips. But it works out nice as the guys can go do one thing while the ladies do another. We always put a male of one couple and a female of the other on the rental car agreement so that either couple can use it on their own or the guys can take off or the ladies.

10 years and many trips later, we're all still speaking to each other and have a trip booked for Dec on Nieuw Amsterdam to celebrate the guys' 65th birthdays (a day apart in age.. he always introduces me as his MUCH older friend *L*)

I'm envious of such great traveling friends and all your travel together!! Enjoy every moment! What a blessing.

I love planning and anticipating the trip. We usually only book 3-4 months ahead. This is enough time to anticipate and extend the joy of the vacation. I do book excursions and read up on "must sees" and such here and elsewhere. I would hate to have been somewhere and miss the one thing I would have liked to see more than others.

For instance, in reading about Curacao and the reviews of excursions on the HAL site, I canceled the snorkel trip and decided we would do some touring by foot on our own. We wanted to see the market and the temple more than snorkeling.

This is the first cruise we are meeting friends on. We have all traveled together before and do it well. We all suffer each of our foibles with kindness and leave each couple alone periodically. Our interests are different enough that we have things to talk about and similar enough to share. I cannot wait, as they live 9 hours away and we booked this over our December holiday visit on a whim. And yes, I have shared all my planning notes that might affect them and that has worked well.

So +1 for planning!

Definitely a planner, especially if its the first time I'm going somewhere, or trying something new. Since I'm gearing up for my first cruise, I'm almost obsessively reading everything I can here to find out all the little details of the ship, the experience, etc., not to mention beginning to research the ports and possible activities there. I typically make all the hotel arrangements, find restaurants, etc. when my partner and I travel. He's not "pack and go," really, but knowing I like researching all those kinds of details, leaves that part of the planning to me.

One thing I don't generally do much planning for is restaurants. Most times, when we're out and about, we just ask a staff member at what ever museum or shop that we happen to be at when hunger strikes where they would recommend. For the most part this has work well for us.

A policeman in Florence recommended a great little place (he even walk over there with us). As this was getting towards the end of our trip I was feeling rather comfortable with Italian menus, knowing most of the words for the things I liked. But when they handed us a hand written menu I was completely lost! I couldn't make out a thing! There was no grouping of menu items just a list of 8 to 10 dishes that were offered. Between the waiters limited English and my much more limited Italian we worked it out and had a fantastic evening. And chestnut pudding became one of my all time favorite desserts!

One thing I don't generally do much planning for is restaurants. Most times, when we're out and about, we just ask a staff member at what ever museum or shop that we happen to be at when hunger strikes where they would recommend. For the most part this has work well for us.

A policeman in Florence recommended a great little place (he even walk over there with us). As this was getting towards the end of our trip I was feeling rather comfortable with Italian menus, knowing most of the words for the things I liked. But when they handed us a hand written menu I was completely lost! I couldn't make out a thing! There was no grouping of menu items just a list of 8 to 10 dishes that were offered. Between the waiters limited English and my much more limited Italian we worked it out and had a fantastic evening. And chestnut pudding became one of my all time favorite desserts!

What fun!! I like to just ask the locals about restaurants, too. Sometimes, though, I hear about a good local place in doing my research and I make a point of seeking out that place.

Good example of planning.

Our family group of mostly first time cruisers and non-planners all told me that one of the best things on the cruise was the day in Grand Cayman where I found an out of the way place for them to snorkel for free (or you could rent your equipment there).

Even though I did not join them, having the nice comments was great.

DaveOKC

Good example of planning.

Our family group of mostly first time cruisers and non-planners all told me that one of the best things on the cruise was the day in Grand Cayman where I found an out of the way place for them to snorkel for free (or you could rent your equipment there).

Even though I did not join them, having the nice comments was great.

DaveOKC

That took some research, I'll say. You could plan for me any day!!:D

I feel very fortunate to be less a planner today. When I had 1 or maybe 2 trips a year the planning was a wonderful experience. After retirement I've been very fortunate to have had 8 cruises in 2011 and 2 down with 6 to go in 2012. I miss the planning but there is often no time for it and would not give up one of my cruises to do more planning.

Roy

I would like to have that problem ;)

(my sons are always laughing about me for this "neurose")!

Lydia, my son always laughed at me too until we took a family trip to Europe a few years ago. Driving along the causeway into Venice we passed the huge long line of cars waiting in line for the carpark. We bypassed the line, drove right up to the carpark entrance, called out my name and were given immediate entry as I had made an online reservation. At that point, my son looked at me with new respect and said "OK, that was pretty cool." We'll show those kids a thing or two won't we?????:D

(my sons are always laughing about me for this "neurose")!

Lydia, my son always laughed at me too until we took a family trip to Europe a few years ago. Driving along the causeway into Venice we passed the huge long line of cars waiting in line for the carpark. We bypassed the line, drove right up to the carpark entrance, called out my name and were given immediate entry as I had made an online reservation. At that point, my son looked at me with new respect and said "OK, that was pretty cool." We'll show those kids a thing or two won't we?????:D

Nancy, That reminds me of when we first visited Vancouver and my friends and I shared a stretch limo from the airport going to our hotel in downtown. Although I was riding with my back to the driver, I noticed when he missed the exit to downtown and told him I thought he'd missed his exit. My friends thought I was nuts and driver thought I'd visited before. No, I just studied the street map of Vancouver for months ahead!! (And he HAD missed his exit - he thought it was a different hotel) Got some respect after that! :D

Ooops! I forgot to ask this question of all the pre-planners out there. Rose, maybe you can help.

I've printed off all of my lists ( restaurants, taxi fairs, tour info etc.) for each port to take along with us. I usually just put them all in chronological order in a large envelope and as we go through them, I recycle the pages. Does anyone have any other nifty tips on how to carry this important paperwork?

Thanks!

Wow, a post tailor-made for me. :D

Anyone who reads my posts on the Med boards knows I'm a (nearly) obsessive planner. I enjoy travel and particularly love the Mediterranean; but not all of my trips are cruises. I'm not a fan of ships' excursions, so I always try to plan my own excursions. (And I'm not talking about a private car or mini-van, but more like using the local trains, metros, buses, etc.....)

I'm not obsessive at all about things onboard ship -- that's where I relax and enjoy myself. I don't really care what kind of ketchup or mustard or steak sauce is served. But when it comes to ports, I'll have metro and bus schedules, detailed information on all the sights I want to see (preloaded onto my Kindle or printed out), step-by-step directions on how to get places, etc.

I planned a two-week visit to Japan with my son a few years ago -- somewhere he'd always wanted to visit. We did everything on our own, including extensive use of the metro in Tokyo and using the bullet train to get around the country.

Currently I'm getting ready to leave for a trip to Naples/Sorrento that I've been planning for nearly a year.

I enjoy planning. As others have said, it is a way to get a lot of advance enjoyment before the actual trip or cruise. Additionally, I think I am a "student" at heart. I read and study numerous books on the history, culture, art, food, etc of the places I visit. By the time I get there, I really don't need a guide, most of the time. And I remember a lot more than just hearing a spiel from a guide for an hour or two....

I LOVE the planning of a vacation, whether it's a cruise or land. I love making lists, and researching the area I'm going to, and figuring out what we want to do, etc. If it's a cruise, I'm on here looking into every single detail (probably obsessively) but for me, it's part of the excitement, part of the anticipation that I ALMOST enjoy as much as the actual vacation.

I enjoy planning. As others have said, it is a way to get a lot of advance enjoyment before the actual trip or cruise. Additionally, I think I am a "student" at heart. I read and study numerous books on the history, culture, art, food, etc of the places I visit.....

This is how I feel too. I love the planning, weighing out the possibilities.. My DH found me bleary eyed at the computer the other night and offered that we could get a travel agent :eek: Bite your tongue! This is my bliss, leave me to it :D

We have a 10 day from Rome to Amsterdam with 2 days on either end, lots of interesting places to investigate. BTW, wanted to be a lawyer when I was growing up but became a computer geek instead ;)

Ooops! I forgot to ask this question of all the pre-planners out there. Rose, maybe you can help.

I've printed off all of my lists ( restaurants, taxi fairs, tour info etc.) for each port to take along with us. I usually just put them all in chronological order in a large envelope and as we go through them, I recycle the pages. Does anyone have any other nifty tips on how to carry this important paperwork?

Thanks!

I used a small 3 leaf folder and used tabs. A tab for each port, tabbed our Meet & Greet, with the itinerary in the front.

I love the planning. I research online and print out all kinds of information.

I use CC Ports of Call board and get valuable information there.

I join the Roll Call and get lots of info and ideas from that and have also joined others on a private tour.

I buy guide books and mark them up with ideas of things to do.

I enjoy making packing lists and tweaking them as the weeks go by.

I agree with those who say 'planning is half the fun'.

However, it's loose planning, not rigid. We book most of our excursions ahead of time but aren't afraid to cancel if we change our minds.

Archived