Taking passports on tours.

grozas

I see where a lot of you leave your passport on the ship and just take a copy off the ship. From my experience (Mexico Russia Europe) this is short sited. If something happens off the ship a copy will do you no good. When we're checked in Russia or Europe, they want the real thing. Yes you have to protect it really close, but that is also why you put your copy in the safe on the ship. You carry your real passport.

The only time we have ever taken our passports with us on an excursion was when we did the White Pass and Yukon Train excursion in Skagway. Because the excursion took us into Frasier, BC, we were told that we had to show our passports as soon as we crossed into Canada. If you did not have a passport you were not allowed to go on the excursion.

All other times we have never taken our passports with us on excursions, as they have either been Carnival sponsored, or we made arrangements with the tour operator to be back at the port at least two hours before sailing.

You will get a 50/50 response on taking the actual passport. If I am going on a ship sponsored excursion or in the carib, not to worried about it. Anywhere else if I am doing it on my own I try to remember to take them or at least a copy, especially the copy if beaches/water are involved.

So what happens when you become separated from that ship sponsored tour and you are on your own and hand the federalies a xerox copy?

Heck - in russia even citizens carry it with them all the time.

So what happens when you become separated from that ship sponsored tour and you are on your own and hand the federalies a xerox copy?

Heck - in russia even citizens carry it with them all the time.

We usually don't take our original passports off the ship with us in the Caribbean ports. If something were to happen, I know that between the port authorities, the cruiseline, and possible family or friends traveling with us, our passports and any other necessity can be secured from the ship. If for some reason that didn't happen, a copy would assist the local embassywith our travel. Europe and Russia are different.

This decision is a personal choice, and everyone can decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.;)

We always take our passports. I generallly wear cargo shorts and they easily fit in the pockets. If I'm going to the beach I put them in ziplocs. Yes they are left on the beach in my shorts while i'm snorkeling, but really, who's gonna steal my shorts?

Always take our passports you never know what might happen.....whats the use of having it!! It's like you ID in the U.S. do you leave your house without it no!! So why should this be any different it's your ID outside of U.S. :)

I never step onto foreign soil without my passport. The cruise line can say whatever they want, but if something happens and we miss the ship (or God forbid a real emergency), with passports and a credit card we can head straight to the airport and either catch up to the ship or fly home. Without a passport, you get to cool your heels at the local US consulate or embassy for a couple of days while the US State Department secures you a temporary travel document.

The cruise line is protecting their own interests, not yours, by telling you to keep your passport aboard: if you show up at US customs without the documents needed for entry, it becomes their responsibility to either transport you back out of the country or to help you get your documents.

I never took my stuff off the ship. Nor do I carry it around when I am on a land vacation.

That being said-- I lost my pass port while I was in Aruba. Somewhere between the customs agent and the hotel.

I spent about 2 1/2 hours at the police station and another 45 minutes at the airport being cleared.

IF you lost this while on a cruise-- how do you get off the ship with all that security in place.?

I still do not carry it with me.

We always take our passports. I generallly wear cargo shorts and they easily fit in the pockets. If I'm going to the beach I put them in ziplocs. Yes they are left on the beach in my shorts while i'm snorkeling, but really, who's gonna steal my shorts?

The thief who thinks you may have money, jewelry, credit card in the pockets.

I see where a lot of you leave your passport on the ship and just take a copy off the ship. From my experience (Mexico Russia Europe) this is short sited. If something happens off the ship a copy will do you no good. When we're checked in Russia or Europe, they want the real thing. Yes you have to protect it really close, but that is also why you put your copy in the safe on the ship. You carry your real passport.

Comparing Europe and Russia to the Caribbean is like comparing apples to grapefruits. Totally different situations, and it is much different when cruising than on a land based vacation. Many cruise lines hold ALL passports when you are cruising in Europe so you have no choice in the matter.

In the Caribbean passports are not even required to cruise. Some people take them off the ship but there is no really need other than you own peace of mind.

If we go our passport goes. I grew up traveling with a passport and it is just what we do.

I agree that in the caribbean it would not be as hard to deal with a passport left on the ship as it might in other places, but even there, the passports are with us at all times.

Working in Homeland Security, I know its not worth it if you lose your passport, you will have to go through extra checks for the rest of your life. And forget money, do you know how much that passport is worth to the wrong people? Its more than they will get in cash from stealing your wallet.

Working in Homeland Security, I know its not worth it if you lose your passport, you will have to go through extra checks for the rest of your life. And forget money, do you know how much that passport is worth to the wrong people? Its more than they will get in cash from stealing your wallet.

Are you saying you leave it or take it then??:D

This thread has me thinking. Since we are cruising the Caribbean, can we use a passport card to get back to the states if we have an emergency? It's unclear from reading the State Dept. thanks for the advice.

I had a passport stolen while traveling and between business and vacations we travel a lot. I am not aware of any extra checks that are being done as I pass right through customs and the TSA at the airport as any other passenger whether flying or cruising.

I never step onto foreign soil without my passport. The cruise line can say whatever they want, but if something happens and we miss the ship (or God forbid a real emergency), with passports and a credit card we can head straight to the airport and either catch up to the ship or fly home. Without a passport, you get to cool your heels at the local US consulate or embassy for a couple of days while the US State Department secures you a temporary travel document.

The cruise line is protecting their own interests, not yours, by telling you to keep your passport aboard: if you show up at US customs without the documents needed for entry, it becomes their responsibility to either transport you back out of the country or to help you get your documents.

Here is what is supposed to happen if you do not return to the ship upon debarkation from a port of call:

Ship Security searches their cabin for passports and valuables, and secures them.

Passports go to the port agent before we depart. Agent arranges visas for those left behind.

The port agent assists in getting the tardy passengers back to our home port (At passenger's expense).

Cabin steward packs up their belongings.

The suitcases are offloaded and waiting at Customs when the passengers come to pick them up.

Originally posted by a cruise line employee who was in management.

Vinnie

Archived