Alaska Cruise Questions

For my first cruise, I am looking at a Princess cruise in either May or September. A couple of questions:

Is either month better as far as weather, crowds, etc.?

I notice that cruises which include Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm tend to be cost about $200 more per person no matter the cabin category. Why is that? Is it preferable to spend the extra to see Glacier Bay?

Thank you!

For my first cruise' date=' I am looking at a Princess cruise in either May or September. A couple of questions:

I notice that cruises which include Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm tend to be cost about $200 more per person no matter the cabin category. Why is that? Is it preferable to spend the extra to see Glacier Bay?

Thank you![/quote']

May & September would be the shoulder months for Alaska cruising. The weather (at anytime) in Alaska is quite variable. We did our cruise toward the later part of September and found the weather fairly grey, but the only "rain" we had was some misty kind of rain a couple of days. However, not too cold, it was about mid to high 60s.

Glacier Bay is usually considered a "better" sight than Tracy Arm.

:)

We cruised Alaska last May and loved it. Being from the deep south, we don't get snow, so I was very excited to get to see lots of snow still on the ground in the Yukon.

The weather our week was grey and drizzly on only 1 day and the rest was nice. It was chilly early in the morning, warming up to the upper 60's during most days, and then a little chilly in the evenings. We just dressed in light layers.

We also saw lots of whales, bears, eagles, etc. during our cruise. We went the last week in May.

Glacier Bay is also unbelievably gorgeous. I'm so glad we chose that itinerary.

We did the "Tracy Arm" cruise in July of 2010 on the Golden Princess. The weather was all over the place mostly cold around 60 degrees and a few days of rain we did have one day in Ketchican that was 76 deg and sunny. I don't think it really matters as to which month as far as the weather goes.

We originally wanted to cruise Glacier Bay but because of the date we had to go with Tracy Arm. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

Only a few permits are issued for Glacier Bay by the US Park Service. Most likely that is the reason for the increased costs. Princess and HAL get the bulk of the permits. It also might be the dates you are looking at.

We went last June. One week after our sailing date the fares were much higher, so we went the first weekend the kids were out of school (and prayed that we wouldn't have snow days to make up!) to save the $$$.

According to the National Weather Service, June is the warmest month on Average in Alaska. Now saying that, you also need to realize that the weather is all over the place.

We did our last Alaskan Cruise at the end of August. It rained almost the entire week, but temps were such that blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt were good most of the time.

No matter which cruise you choose, you will be happy you went. It is an amazing place. So much so, that within a couple months of being back home, we booked another.

Best of luck

For my first cruise' date=' I am looking at a Princess cruise in either May or September. A couple of questions:

Thank you![/quote']

Glacier bay IMO is far more attractive. Also just to get permission to sail into it requires (I think) a lottery type system. Not everyone who wants to is allowed in. I would definitely pick a cruise that goes there over say Tracy.

September. End of season sales on souvenirs.:p:D

Hmmm....never thought of this! :rolleyes:

I did stop by the TA's office this afternoon and asked for her thoughts on May vs Sept. She added that the chance to see wildlife may be a bit better in Sept.

I think I have made the decision to go with a cruise in Sept that includes Glacier Bay. I appreciate everyone's input!

You get more hours of daylight in May than in September. That could be something to consider if sightseeing from the ship is of importance to you.

When we went in September, we were very aware that we totally missed the scenery along Lynn Canal (the scenic fjord between Juneau and Skagway) because we cruised it both ways after dark.

The same for the transit through Icy Strait on the way to or from the ocean, if you are on a northbound or southbound itinerary, because you may also be traveling through there in darkness in September.

Whales are often sighted in Icy Strait, especially close to Pt. Adolphus, if your ship goes through there during daylight.

All good advice here ... essentially, weather is a crapshoot; days are "longer" in May; Glacier Bay is preferable to Tracy Arm. We've sailed both itineraries, and do prefer GB. Tracy Arm is not always fully navigable due to ice floes, but Glacier Bay is wide open, and a much better place to see wildlife, including humpback whales. The Golden and Star Princess are sister ships, although the former was refurbished in '09. We're in the process of planning our next Alaska cruise ... if you can alter your schedule a bit, take a look at the 8/11 and 8/12 Princess sailings. For some reason, prices are especially attractive. Whichever cruise you select, you're going to love the trip. Smooth sailing ...

Al

We found the mountains were snow capped in June. Several years later when we did the cruise in September there was little snow on the mountains. Snow capped mountains are more picturesque.

Loved Glacier Bay. Don't get a balcony just for Glacier Bay because you will want to be on deck so that you can experience the whole view the entire time and you can go from one side of the ship to the other. I've never done Tracy Arm.

Also, since money seems to be important, it may be too chilly to sit outside comfortably on the balcony. Of course you will have the wonderful view without having to leave your cabin. You may want to take this into consideration when choosing your cabin especially if you are mobile and want to save money.

Also, since money seems to be important, it may be too chilly to sit outside comfortably on the balcony. Of course you will have the wonderful view without having to leave your cabin. You may want to take this into consideration when choosing your cabin especially if you are mobile and want to save money.

No need to be chilly or sacrifice the incredibly scenic views. Just make your way to Skywalkers Lounge (both ships have one), pull up a front-row seat, and enjoy the ride and panoramic scenes in total comfort. The weather cleared up nicely on our last cruise, and we were able to venture out on deck by about midday. But even if it doesn't, you won't miss a thing.

We found the mountains were snow capped in June. Several years later when we did the cruise in September there was little snow on the mountains. Snow capped mountains are more picturesque.

Loved Glacier Bay. Don't get a balcony just for Glacier Bay because you will want to be on deck so that you can experience the whole view the entire time and you can go from one side of the ship to the other. I've never done Tracy Arm.

Also, since money seems to be important, it may be too chilly to sit outside comfortably on the balcony.

On an Alaska cruise it is never too chilly for us to sit comfortably on the balcony. We just bundle up, adding or removing layers as needed.

If it is really cold, I will have on my fleece layer and wooly cap with my water resistant Alaska jacket over it, the hood pulled up on my head over the wooly cap, wearing warm gloves, and I will be sitting out there enjoying the view all wrapped up in one of those nice warm deck blankets that the stateroom attendant kindly leaves for us.

If I am still cold, then I just add another blanket.

The balcony provides enough privacy so that nobody else can see how totally ridiculous I look that way. :D

On a warm day when it is pouring rain cruising through the Inside Passage, if you look down and see some crazy fool standing out at the rail under a big umbrella enjoying every minute and softly humming the tune to "Singing in the Rain" that will probably be me too. ;)

Archived