Diabetes Type II Questions....

duncmelsmom

Hi all!

I know there are other cruisers who are diabetic. This is my first cruise and I was just diagnosed in September. I am nervous about sticking to my diet. I am a carb counter. Absolutely no rice, potatoes, and very little bread are my focuses. I've lost 30 pounds and feel better than ever. I cheat some, but don't want to push it because I'll be drinking. I take 2 pills/day. I have some questions:

1) Do I tell anyone on the cruise about my dietary needs or just try to stick to them myself?

2) I look at pictures of people's meals and I see lots of protein (good for me), but very little vegetables (bad for me)...is that the case?

3) Have you been in "trouble" by eating wrong? I would hate to feel so yucky that I couldn't do anything. What happened when you got in trouble?

4) I live off of Greek yogurt. It has protein and vitamins, and I feel great after eating it. Is it served on the cruises? Do you think I could bring some aboard?

5) Any other suggestions??

Hi all!

I know there are other cruisers who are diabetic. This is my first cruise and I was just diagnosed in September. I am nervous about sticking to my diet. I am a carb counter. Absolutely no rice, potatoes, and very little bread are my focuses. I've lost 30 pounds and feel better than ever. I cheat some, but don't want to push it because I'll be drinking. I take 2 pills/day. I have some questions:

1) Do I tell anyone on the cruise about my dietary needs or just try to stick to them myself?

2) I look at pictures of people's meals and I see lots of protein (good for me), but very little vegetables (bad for me)...is that the case?

3) Have you been in "trouble" by eating wrong? I would hate to feel so yucky that I couldn't do anything. What happened when you got in trouble?

4) I live off of Greek yogurt. It has protein and vitamins, and I feel great after eating it. Is it served on the cruises? Do you think I could bring some aboard?

You can advise Carnival that you are on a diabetic diet. From what I understand they have large variety of sugar free desserts.

As long as you keep a close eye out on your blood glucose levels you should be good. I would check it at a minimum of three times a day. And know your personal signs of an impending low sugar level.

Hi all!

Contact the special needs dept and tell them this.. and they will be able to help with you meals if need be...

I also am a big fan of Greek yogurt and, much to my dismay, I have never found any Greek style yogurt on board. The yogurt is the typical sweetened runnier blended yogurt, banana, strawberry, and some other flavors. Neither DH nor I can recall if there was any plain yogurt. They do have great cottage cheese, though, if that helps.

There is a dessert option every night. My DH ordered steamed veggies every night with his dinner.

My DH and a friend we traveled with who is also diabetic, did not tell Carnival ahead of time. I think it would be a good idea. We didn't only because we did not think of it. They were both able to make eating choice on their own.

Unfortunately, I do not believe they have the Greek Yogurt. All I've ever seen is the regular (i.e., added sugar) Yoplait :(. There are high protien/low carb breakfast alternatives though - omlettes come to mind. I have found that the room service menu is rather lacking in good breakfast choices, in terms of protien content though, so I would suggest planning on having breakfast in the MDR or Lido to give yourself more options (no hardship).:)

As far as vegetables, in the buffet they have a salad bar available, as well as various cooked vegetables. The pizza station has a lovely Caesar Salad that can be ordered 24 hours a day. The MDR has salads and vegetable side dishes available at both breakfast and lunch. The MDR also has "Spa Cuisine" meals which are good, healthy choices.

As other posters have said, they also have sugar free deserts available for an extra treat.;)

Have a great cruise.

Vegetables are available every meal in the MDR, but might not be listed on the menu. I always asked for a side of steamed veg and it was never a problem at all. Usually a brocolli, squash, carrot, green bean, cauliflower medley, so watch the squash as some is fairly high in carbs.

Don't stress, you know your subsitutions so you should do fine! :)

Wow! Y'all are the best. Great advice!!

Thanks for the veggie medley info. I'm glad to know about the Greek salad. I love that.

Didn't think of cottage cheese. I love it, so it's very helpful to know. Yes, I looked at room service menus and I don't see much that's very helpful.

I love eggs, so omelets will be perfect.

I feel so much better from reading your posts. Thanks for the speedy replies and keep them coming!

Have any of you found a drink of choice for diabetes? I'm a beer drinker, but could do others if it helps. I'm sure they're all bad, aren't they? No fruity yummy sugary concoctions for me...boo hoo!

"Sugar free" desserts sometimes have more carbs than those with natural sugars; they have sugar alcohol. I've been told by my dietitian to stay away from anything "sugar free".

I'll be checking blood levels constantly, like I always have.

I've been a Type II for years and have cruised extensively. If your meds include glipizide the only worry you have is going low.....feeling faint and woozy. DW always carries a pack or two of peanut butter crackers with her and I've never had a problem. If your meds are Metformin, you have no worries. I'm always able to maintain my blood sugar levels and I test 4 times a day....and I do eat almost everything.....definitely a cheater on a cruise....I just don't eat massive quantities.

I've been type2 diabetic since 2003. I do not tell them about my diabetes when I go on a cruise, I pretty much know what I should and shouldn't have.

I agree with you about the sugar free desserts. I prefer to have 2-3 bites of "the real thing" and either push the plate away, or my husband will finish it for me. :)

Most of the time when we went to a bar to listen to music, or at the show, comedy club, etc. I would just have club soda with a wedge of lime. It's pretty much my "drink of choice" at home too. I did have a couple other drinks though too, but as the nutritionist told me there is nothing that is "off limits" for a diabetic. Just plan for it. If you know you're going to have dessert at dinner, or a sugary frozen drink then have a nice big salad with a ton of fresh vegetables. Or meat and lots of steamed vegetables. Stuff like that.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise. :)

Yes you could bring your own yogurt on board but where would you keep it is the problem. Unless you have a room that has a small fridge in it I guess you could keep it in an ice bucket. You could as the steward for two ice buckets and keep them in there maybe.

Why don't you bring some of your own diabetic snacks with you. Special cookies or crackers. A nice cheese plate for dessert is available every night on the MDR menu. There are all kinds of veggies and salads in the MDR. My SIL always asked for extra veggies with her meals and got them, no problem.

Just plan ahead.

I hope you have a really great, healthy cruise.:D

P.S. I just found this on another thread:

Guests With Disabilities:

Anyone has the ability to book a modified cabin designed for guests with disabilities.

Carnival's policy is if you don't need and/or aren't qualified for a modified cabin you have to agree before booking it that you are willing to be moved to another cabin if someone with disabilities needs it. This will be in the same cabin category or higher, depending on what is available at that time.

Unfortunately, Carnival has been known not to track this information as closely as they should. This in turn has brought added issues and delays in getting passengers with disabilities into these cabins.

We suggest if you really don't need one don't book it.

All passengers with special needs should also submit a Special Needs Form. This will help to inform Carnival of your specific needs so they can accommodate you to the best of their ability.

I would fill out this form and you may be able to get special meals.:)

We have never contacted special needs re a diabetic diet in that to us it's a waste of time. Based on what you are not eating all they can do is tell you that you will know when a potato is there or a piece of bread etc. I am not trying to be facetious, but there isn't anything that they can do. I say that because I had asked about a low salt diet and was told that I would have to ask about each food to know about the salt.

I wish I had your willpower as I also have to take 2 pills a day and I need to lose weight, but I love potatoes and bread! As previously mentioned you can ask for extra veggies every night in the MDR and every night there are salads at dinner.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your cruise.

Hi all!

My husband is type II but I'm not diabetic, I'm hypoglycemic. So we are always balancing our 2 differing dietary needs. He needs, like you, to stay away from carbs and starchs and on a strict meal schedule. While I need to eat lots of smaller meals (more like snacks) on demand & sometimes heavy on the carbs and starches.

BTW be very careful with the alcohol and the Rx pills for type II. The form of sugar in alcohol goes through even a diabetic's system in odd ways compared to processed and formed (carb/starch) sugar and can give some strange reading on a glucose meter. Some of the symptoms a sugar level drop can resemble seasickness and drunkness (dizziness, nausea, disorientation) so inform the Special Needs Dept of your diabeties and medications that they can inform the Infirmary that if you faint that they check your blood sugar first and don't treat you w/ something contra-indicated to the meds your on already.

You can inform the wait staff of your diet requirements and many will do their best to help you make informed decissions. Ultimately the diet choices will be yours to make the staff will not stop you from ordering what you want. A set dinner seating opposed to your time dining is better to make sure your not repeating this to new waiters/waitresses every night.

The MDR dinners a very much ala cart choices and generally will only have a single small side vegatable. You can orders as many additional sides as you choose or even pre-request the Indian vegan meals then add a protein main course to it.

My husband hasn't his type II act-up so bad that he has ever had a sugar crisis, but he will monitor his levels more frequently on any vacation than he does at home (3x daily vs once a day). For me, twice on cruises I've needed to have a family member help me back to the room because I let my sugar fall too low (>45 on the meter). After a few feet a crewmember generally offers to help and my family has been conditioned to tell others when I'm like that, that I'm hypoglycemicand need to eat then lie down.

In my case I'm able to rebalance my sugar by ordering a sugary drink (soda, juice, etc.) and napping for an hour or 2. Luckily it has never happened on a shore excursions, but in case it does I make sure I have my medi-alert bracetlet on before leaving the ship. Also carrying peanut butter cookies around seems to keep me on level.

Don't ever remember seeing Greek yogurt just regular Yoplait and Yoplait lite being offered at the buffet. Not sure what type is served in the MDR for breakfast. You can bring your own aboard just pack them, seal intact, in a cooler no bigger than 12" per side with ice packs. If the mini-bar in the cabin is not cold enough just ask the cabin steward to make sure the cooler stays filled with ice.

They do have a small but nice selection of desserts that are no sugar added or made with sugar alternatives including cakes from the Bon Voyage Dept. The buffet has a good selection of salad choices but watch out for the dressing they offer some have frutose or starches to thicken them. Fresh fruit is generally available at all meals from any dining venue. At the buffet you may need to visit a couple of different "stations" to find a variety of non starch veggies but generally thay have the same selections as down at the MDR just scattered.

Just try to plan ahead for the menu choices with this link https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html Just click Dining Room Menus in the lefthand navigation bar.

For drinks, order alcohol from bon voyage and take powdered sugar free mixers like crystal light and baja bobs. It will help and let you drink. DH is type II. He loves salads for lunch, and sticks to sugar free desserts.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I cruised on the Dream 3 weeks ago. I did not see Greek yogurt. I found plenty of protein options, and steamed vegetables were on the "available anytime" menu at dinner. I just refused the bread basket at night (sigh) and watched my potato and rice intake. The only problem with the refrigerator in room is that it was not as cold as your home refrigerator. Milk spoiled overnight...It is much more difficult (for me) to be good on vacation. I am with the other poster that nothing is off limits, just in moderation. As I am on an insulin pump I check glucose pretty often. I carried some snacks with me, but did not do without if I wanted to try something. We ate breakfast in the dining room and had eggs and sausage links. Lunch was harder at the buffets. Dinner was much easier with a salad for appetizer and steamed vegetables on the side of whatever entree I had. No worries! You will do fine.

We've learned a few things on our previous cruises.

1. Refuse the bread basket at dinner and ask for the cheese tray dessert instead. Once you do this the first night or two, the waiters will know and have it ready and won't offer bread again.

2. Stay away from the umbrella drinks. Vodka tonic, red wine, or dirty martini (yuck!) for alcohol choices instead work best.

3. You can always ask for mixed veggies or veggies for a side. You may still get the potatoes or rice that comes with the entre, but the veggies will be on a different plate.

4. Sugar free dessert will still have some carbs if it has a crust (i.e. sugar free cheesecake with a graham cracker crust).

5. If you have some carbs, eat those early in the day around lunch so you can burn those off before bedtime.

Just suggestions.

Hi all!

If you plan to go ashore on Port days - possible suggestion is prior to leaving the ship grab some fruit ( ie banana, orange, etc...) so if you find that you're starting a sugar low, at least you have something to tide you over til you are back on board the ship.

Especially if you're not acustome to the local food(s) at the Port.

My wife is also diabetic, when we go a shore this is what we do, there were times she needed to eat the banana / orange.

I'm diabetic too. You can have carbs, the good ones such as whole wheat rolls. They have wheat pasta, ask for it. You're smart of avoid the sugar-free desserts. And with all the walking you will be doing on the ship you should be fine. I do indulge a little, but really watch what I eat. I've lost a few lbs on the last 2 cruises, and I'm sure it was from all the walking I did.

There's always usually an option for some type of salad for dinner appetizers. Don't be afraid to ask for a second vegetable appetizer if your main course is without. i second the cheese plate idea, it's very tasty.

For room service, they have crudites, which makes a good snack, though I can't recall what veggies were included in the crudites. The buffets will have a deli section, and another specialty cuisine section (Mongolian Wok or a burrito bar from what I've seen). You could do a sandwich without the bread, and get extra veggies from the specialty sections.

They post menus by the main dining room. I eat vegetarian, and that helped me plan for the day.

If you inject insulin, you can ask your stateroom attendant for a sharps container. They have signs posted about that, it seems to be a standard request.

In regards to feeling "wrong", that's a good question to ask you doctor. And G-d forbid, in case of a medical situation, make sure you have coverage (something everyone should do).

Enjoy your cruise!

I took a mini-vacation from my Type 2 on my cruise. I did not feel guilty and checked my sugars throughout the day - with all of the activity going on I stayed within good sugar ranges even with the mini chocolate croissants ;-). My drink of choice was diet coke and rum, but I did allow myself a margarita once or twice. This is a lifelong lifestyle change and I broke a few "rules" perhaps, but I did not dwell on the food too much and enjoyed my cruise. I did pay attention to portion sizes but did not deprive myself at all.

You cannot bring fruit into foreign ports. It is usually against local countries laws but you can bring prepackaged food as snacks with you. Talk to your doctor or nurse at your next appt. before you cruise too. Carb counting is important and you can see dinner menus outside the dining room before dinner times and plan your menu at that time for dinner. I am a prediabetic with 2 diabetic parents and I don't eat bread or starches. I will share and eat a bite or two of a dessert that I really want and then I have my treat but with only a few carbs. I also make myself walk at least a half an hour every day even on a cruise. You have to have that will power and it is truly hard but you can do it. As a previous poster said the sweet umbrella drinks are a big thing to avoid too. Even lots of fruit can spike you blood sugar.

Have any of you found a drink of choice for diabetes? I'm a beer drinker, but could do others if it helps. I'm sure they're all bad, aren't they? No fruity yummy sugary concoctions for me...boo hoo!

"Sugar free" desserts sometimes have more carbs than those with natural sugars; they have sugar alcohol. I've been told by my dietitian to stay away from anything "sugar free".

I'll be checking blood levels constantly, like I always have.

My 7yr old son is an insulin dependent T1 and we count carbs for EVERYTHING! We've had no problems whilst cruising, although obtaining carb content is virtually impossible - guess!

For drinks, we take lots of Crystal Light for him. He can have it instead of juice in the morning, or to liven up water at lunch/dinner.

With regards to the sugar alcohols, we've always been told that you can subtract half of them, as they don't break down into sugar the same as regular carbs. Same with Fiber, you can subtract all of that from the total carbs.

My son is the same - never wants the sugar-free desert, and I can't say I blame him!!! I'm trying to find out if they have sugar-free jello, that is a fav of his, especially when his BS is high.

Personally, we do notify them that he's T1. You can request a sharps container for your cabin if necessary. Also, if your meds require refrigeration, don't trust the fridge in the cabin, as it doesn't keep things as cool as a regular fridge. You can take your meds to customer service (I think) and they'll keep them for you, you can have access to them 24/7.

When out on excursion, take plenty of snacks with you 'just in case'.

Have a great cruise!

Archived