YOUR FAULT CC!!! Steakhouse Info

cdamion

I have long disliked the entire idea of pay-per-eat on cruise ships, but I finally give up. Too much talk on here about the taste and service - I can't hold out anymore - gonna try it on Splendor.

The only question I have that I can't find via search is how much time to allow for the meal.

Dont do it!

Ever done a galley tour? If so you would know your food is being cooked and prepared at the same cooking stations by the same cooks as the regular food in MDR.

Why pay extra? order more and varied items from your MRD waiter to satisfy your special needs for the night. no odds to them how much you order or waste as its all incinerated if not eaten anyway:cool:

Den

Dont do it!

Ever done a galley tour? If so you would know your food is being cooked and prepared at the same cooking stations by the same cooks as the regular food in MDR.

Why pay extra? order more and varied items from your MRD waiter to satisfy your special needs for the night. no odds to them how much you order or waste as its all incinerated if not eaten anyway:cool:

Den

The steakhouses strongpoint is not quantity, but quality.

And there is a chef kitchen up top.

My husband & I love it so much that the first Carnival cruise we were on that had a Steakhouse (Liberty) we ate there twice. The second Carnival cruise (Pride) we ate there 3 times. We will be on Breeze in June (12 day med). Have reservations for 2 nights and 1 night at Chef's Table. Will probably do 3 nights in Steakhouse... The food and service is just SO much better. I don't mind paying the $60 for dinner. A comparable dinner ANYWHERE else would cost $150-$200 for the two of us. The only time I get to eat like that is on a cruise! Just sayin':rolleyes:.

Seriously, it is a real treat... and very much worth the money.

-Chelle

My husband & I love it so much that the first Carnival cruise we were on that had a Steakhouse (Liberty) we ate there twice. The second Carnival cruise (Pride) we ate there 3 times. We will be on Breeze in June (12 day med). Have reservations for 2 nights and 1 night at Chef's Table. Will probably do 3 nights in Steakhouse... The food and service is just SO much better. I don't mind paying the $60 for dinner. A comparable dinner ANYWHERE else would cost $150-$200 for the two of us. The only time I get to eat like that is on a cruise! Just sayin':rolleyes:.

Seriously, it is a real treat... and very much worth the money.

-Chelle

actually, it's an additional $60, not a $60 meal.

I have long disliked the entire idea of pay-per-eat on cruise ships, but I finally give up. Too much talk on here about the taste and service - I can't hold out anymore - gonna try it on Splendor.

The only question I have that I can't find via search is how much time to allow for the meal.

I used to feel that way as well. Our first cruise was on NCL Star and we ate at specialty restaurants 3 of the 7 nights. Back then the charge was $15pp, if I remember. It was well worth it and we try to eat at the steakhouse on Carnival at least once per cruise. So far the best steakhouse we have been to was on the Caribbean Princess, but Nick and Nora's on the Miracle was very good as well.

We spend anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the steakhouse.

Have a great time and enjoy the ambiance.

actually, it's an additional $60, not a $60 meal.

Oops! Should have been more specific... It's $30 per person. Definitely worth it. Husband & I go to Capital Grille occasionally (a "upscale" chain) and Porterhouse is in the neighborhood of $40. Doesn't include soup, salad or dessert. Quality is above average but not fantastic; and service is always hit or miss. For the money Capital Grille charges, I really should be getting the quality and service that I get at the steakhouse on the ships.

It's simply a money maker for the cruise. Another nickel and dime thing. Many love to pay for it and that is fine. I agree the food in the MDR is okay, I won't say it's great, the Steakhouse just might be better food. I am one who after saving for a cruise for 12-20 months won't plop down another 60 for my wife and I to eat when free food is all around. I can't think of a time where we have paid 60 for both of us to eat at home?

Perhaps if enough pay the 30 pp it's keeping cruising affordable for the rest of us?

It's simply a money maker for the cruise. Another nickel and dime thing. Many love to pay for it and that is fine. I agree the food in the MDR is okay, I won't say it's great, the Steakhouse just might be better food. I am one who after saving for a cruise for 12-20 months won't plop down another 60 for my wife and I to eat when free food is all around. I can't think of a time where we have paid 60 for both of us to eat at home?

Perhaps if enough pay the 30 pp it's keeping cruising affordable for the rest of us?

except something must be wrong. the porterhouse has been removed, and they seem to be doing bait and switch with the lobster tails.......

they are also toying with an $18 eat at the bar incentive. $30 doesn't seem to be attracting the current carnival cruiser.

We have a reservation to try it on our Spirit cruise next week.

I am a bit put off by the descriptions of the intrusive wait staff! We really don't like that at all! We go out to eat here at home to nice restaurants for special occasions but rarely order steak. I just thought that it might make a lovely romantic evening but giant portions don't turn me on either. Hmm?

We may just cancel and stay in the MDR!

BTW are tips extra or do our included tips cover the steak house too??

We have a reservation to try it on our Spirit cruise next week.

I am a bit put off by the descriptions of the intrusive wait staff! We really don't like that at all! We go out to eat here at home to nice restaurants for special occasions but rarely order steak. I just thought that it might make a lovely romantic evening but giant portions don't turn me on either. Hmm?

We may just cancel and stay in the MDR!

BTW are tips extra or do our included tips cover the steak house too??

the $30 surcharge includes the tip.

A friend and her husband are going to be on the Conquest with us next week. She did a HUGE favor for me last summer and as a very belated "thank you" my husband and I are hoping they will be our guests for dinner in the steakhouse. Lots of wine included!

Dont do it!

Den

Maybe on some of the ships? But the steakhouses we have been to had their own kitchen in the steakhouse...it was open so you could see them cooking so it certainly did not come from the galley...

We did it on the Dream as well. I don't remember how long we were there but it was worth it and I will do it again for sure!!! I could not finish all my food but I did order the HUGE porterhouse:)

The desserts were too die for! Ugh. I cannot wait to go again!!!!!

I heard that they were getting rid of the Porterhouse... not true?? I hope not! The thought of it makes my mouth water all over again!! ;)

You better be really hungry when you go in there!
Thanks for the warning.

Nothing's more counter-logic than paying $$$ for a mountain of food you simply cannot eat

And it makes little sense to ask for it to be doggy-bagged (if they'll even do that for you). :cool:

Thanks, but I'll "take my chances" with the Main Dining Rooms

where my wife and I have always found the food and service to be quite adequate, plus!

Yes, the food was good, but we truly missed not eating in the MDR.

Entire meal took 2 hours, and at times, I thought it might have been easier for our servers just to sit at the table with us.

I almost asked one to please leave us alone!

We were glad we tried it, but would probably never repeat it until they start serving Sloppy Joes and Tacos in the MDR.

Thank you thank you for the warning!

Can't stand "service" that hovers around you like a freakin helicopter! :eek:

Good service stands ten feet away and observes when you need something..

Dont do it!

Den

I don't know that you are right about the food being cooked in the main galley - I thought that the steakhouses had their own galley - I could be confusing lines though.

I am looking for the higher level of service and quality of the food, not gorging myself. I am not on Carnival that much anymore and the price (and food from what I understand) is better than the upscale dining on RCI or Princess.

I have found the service great and in no way overly attentive. I have never felt like they were constantly checking us. They served a course- then checked back to be sure it was cooked right. Then cleared the dishes and served another course. I don't see that being too attentive.

We tried the Steakhouse on the Freedom in December and it's well worth it! Fabulous service, beautiful presentation, and the food was amazing. Easily the most tender cut of steak I've ever had. I agree with the others, give yourself 2-2.5 hrs. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two to two and a half hours and pace yourself! It is a tremendous amount of food from soup to nuts but you will enjoy and quality and presentation.

Can't wait to hear about it when you return!!!

Hey, they did not offer us Soup or Nuts!

I feel cheated.

Hey, they did not offer us Soup or Nuts!

I feel cheated.

You should go complain on John Heald's blog. Also write a letter straight to the top. You may be able to get a new car or a cruise out of it.;)

Exactly the way I felt on my first 19 Carnival cruises . . . and the last one on the SPLENDOR changed my mind. Now, I'll book at least one night every cruise.:)

I loved the steakhouse and will do it every cruise from here on in. It was a great experience for the small fee. My favorite was the escargot soup, ohhhhh myyyyyyy,

What are all those pretties you posted pictures of? They are making me hungry!

Archived