Is Oceania's Foreign Bank Fee a thing of the past

bloomcruisers

I didn't want to resurrect a year old thread, but I remember a discussion about O using an Irish bank that meant all their US$ charges incurred a foreign bank fee which O would refund as onboard credit if requested. There was some talk at the end of the thread that this might be disappearing since Regent had changed their bank to a US based one and eliminated the fee. But there was never a final statement to that effect if it changed for Oceania. Did this ever happen with Oceania or are those fees something I still need to watch out for?

Our charges for both deposit and final payment went through the travel agent, not Oceania, so we will encounter the issue for the first time onboard next month if it still exists.

Our charges for both deposit and final payment went through the travel agent, not Oceania,

:eek::eek: You must really trust your TA & their solvency

I have not seen any complaints on the FTF lately

I didn't want to resurrect a year old thread, but I remember a discussion about O using an Irish bank that meant all their US$ charges incurred a foreign bank fee which O would refund as onboard credit if requested. There was some talk at the end of the thread that this might be disappearing since Regent had changed their bank to a US based one and eliminated the fee. But there was never a final statement to that effect if it changed for Oceania. Did this ever happen with Oceania or are those fees something I still need to watch out for?

Our charges for both deposit and final payment went through the travel agent, not Oceania, so we will encounter the issue for the first time onboard next month if it still exists.

When we booked last week we were told by our TA that they no longer use the Irish bank so no additional charges.:D

LOL

I guess I do.

It's an alumni cruise through University of Notre Dame and I tend to believe they are good for it. My online Oceania acct looks OK so I think I'm safe.

That may make a difference ;)

I have read so many horror stories about people paying the agency & then come to find they lost their money & cruise

I am going to email Oceana about this. I emailed them about this about 3 months ago and they indicated I would get charged the foreign transaction fees.

If you get charged just call O and they will refund your credit card or issue you OBC. Your choice

I am going to email Oceana about this. I emailed them about this about 3 months ago and they indicated I would get charged the foreign transaction fees.

Might depend on your credit card company they charge the fee

but sounds like Oceania has switched banks or everyone switched to Capitol one ;)

My Bank of America card which I prefer to use will charge a transaction fee if it's out of the country. I do have a Capitol one card that does not charge a transaction fee. I would love to use my BofA card on board ship and my Capitol one off ship. I have emailed them and I will see what they say. If I can get refunded that is good too.

My Bank of America card which I prefer to use will charge a transaction fee if it's out of the country. I do have a Capitol one card that does not charge a transaction fee. I would love to use my BofA card on board ship and my Capitol one off ship. I have emailed them and I will see what they say. If I can get refunded that is good too.

Just curious

Did you make a deposit yet?

if so were you charged a FTF on your Credit card?

I have heard before that some people got charged the fee then just had Oceania cancel the payment then put it on their card that does not charge a fee EG: capitol One

Good luck

We sailed on the Marina Dec 2011. The first payment for deposit in May last year had a foreign fee - Oceania gave us a credit on board which was fine (or said they could send check). The final payment three months before we sailed was not a problem as they had changed banks. However, I was told by Oceania that a foreign fee could be charged for the onboard account which applies at end of sailing - so I used a card when we boarded the ship that did not charge a fee (Capital One).

We sailed on the Marina Dec 2011. The first payment for deposit in May last year had a foreign fee - Oceania gave us a credit on board which was fine (or said they could send check). The final payment three months before we sailed was not a problem as they had changed banks. However, I was told by Oceania that a foreign fee could be charged for the onboard account which applies at end of sailing - so I used a card when we boarded the ship that did not charge a fee (Capital One).

Thanks. That was what I was wondering about. I guess we will ask at check-in and use the Capital One card (though it is not our preferred card) if there is still any uncertainty about the fee. Though maybe someone who has sailed more recently can still provide a definitive answer re current policy.

I emailed Oceana yesterday and asked if my onboard charges made with my US credit card would be subject to transactions fees and this was their reply:

Thank you for Contacting Oceania Cruises.

No, there would be no foreign transaction fees for purchases made onboard.

Regards,

Here in Canada most CC charge a FTF which is hidden in the conversion rate

So I use to pay my account in cash at the end of the cruise

I then switched to a Canadian USD VISA ...no fees

Good luck

Lyn

I emailed Oceana yesterday and asked if my onboard charges made with my US credit card would be subject to transactions fees and this was their reply:

Thank you for Contacting Oceania Cruises.

No, there would be no foreign transaction fees for purchases made onboard.

Regards,

Thank you for the official word! :)

Archived