Kronus PBBs for new White Bay terminal

From Cruise Weekly 13 Mar 2012

TEAM enlisted for Sydney

WORLD leading designer and manufacturer of passenger boarding bridges, TEAM, has been contracted by Sydney Ports to design, build and deliver two state-of-the-art Kronus bridges for the new White Bay cruise passenger terminal in Sydney.

“The KRONUS is a great choice,” said Jordi Floreta, TEAM Managing Director.

“It can be operated with a wide range of vessels and with different door heights.

“It is a very versatile PBB which includes our latest innovations and provides a totally safe and comfort docking as it does follow automatically the vessels’ movement,” she added.

Its nothing but an expensive waste of money building a terminal there in my opinion. The majority of ships that visit Australia cannot fit under the harbour bridge and it is inevitable that when P&O Australias fleet is replaced with these larger ships the terminal will no longer have any use. If the rumours are true what I have been hearing P&O Australia is destined to be replaced entirely by Carnival. I was told recently that the Australian call centre offices for Carnival have been shut down and are relocating to mainland USA.

I will put money on it and bet that in under 20 years P&O Australia will not have any ships that fit under the harbour bridge and that the new terminal will be abandoned.

TEAM enlisted for Sydney

WORLD leading designer and manufacturer of passenger boarding bridges, TEAM, has been contracted by Sydney Ports to design, build and deliver two state-of-the-art Kronus bridges for the new White Bay cruise passenger terminal in Sydney.

“It can be operated with a wide range of vessels and with different door heights.

“It is a very versatile PBB which includes our latest innovations and provides a totally safe and comfort docking as it does follow automatically the vessels’ movement,” she added.

One has to wonder why they are investing so much money in a terminal on the western side of the harbour bridge, given that most ships now can not fit under the bridge.

A bit like the mistake they made with Brisbane, the terminal is only accessible to some ships not all. They need the better terminals to cater for the larger ships now visiting Australia.

One has to wonder why they are investing so much money in a terminal on the western side of the harbour bridge, given that most ships now can not fit under the bridge.

A bit like the mistake they made with Brisbane, the terminal is only accessible to some ships not all. They need the better terminals to cater for the larger ships now visiting Australia.

I know. You know it's crazy, I know it's crazy, the world knows it's crazy, but.....!!! Heaven knows this country needs people at the top with a bit of foresight.

They will also need to do something about transport to the city.

There's no doubt about ships getting bigger over the next few years and that's a big problem for Sydney, unless the navy move out of garden island there is no where else big cruise ships will be able to berth. but let's look at some things we do know right now. barangaroo IS shutting down. They do still have to berth the ships somewhere given they can't do it on the eastern side, the cruise ship schedule shows ships berthing at White bay from March next year. If you look at that schedule you will see that most cruise ships DO berth on the western side of the bridge at the moment. A lot of cruise ships berth at CQ because it's the nicest berth, not because they can't fit under the bridge, like HOL.Again I am not ignoring the future size of ships, I'm talking about the realities now. By the way, the fancy gangways they are going to put at white bay can be unbolted and moved with relative ease and moved to a new location, that's how they will get here in the first place.

The worst thing about this is that it is NSW residents tax dollars that are paying for it and when the terminal is no longer in use the state government will be dirty at the cruise industry and will be unlikely to throw any more money at building new facilities meaning the cruise industry suffers.

Well...

I dont want a Passenger Boarding Bridge....PBB....:mad:

Makes me feel like I am boarding an aircraft.....

I cruise to get away from flying.:D

What wrong with a good old fashioned gangway ?

At least it makes you feel like you are going to sea:)

Well...

Noooooooooooo, does it really? :eek: That's it, then! (You know me and flying, David! :D)

Very true! And it's all about the sea, for me. You can keep your resorts. ;)

Well...

Others prefer the protection of the newer boarding bridges, particularly in wet, or sunny weather.

Then there's the security and safety aspects as well, with newer developments always needing to comply with ever more regulations to protect people.

Its nothing but an expensive waste of money building a terminal there in my opinion. The majority of ships that visit Australia cannot fit under the harbour bridge and it is inevitable that when P&O Australias fleet is replaced with these larger ships the terminal will no longer have any use. If the rumours are true what I have been hearing P&O Australia is destined to be replaced entirely by Carnival. I was told recently that the Australian call centre offices for Carnival have been shut down and are relocating to mainland USA.

I will put money on it and bet that in under 20 years P&O Australia will not have any ships that fit under the harbour bridge and that the new terminal will be abandoned.

If the cost of the new white bay facility is amotised over 20 years the cost will be quite neglible compared to the eonomic benefit generated by the vessels that use this facility. My feeling is that if cruise numbers continue to increase at current rates and ship sizes continue to grow ( although in the doco on the Allure of The Seas it was stated that they did not think any ships larger will be built?) a new facility will be constructed at Port Botany to handle vessels that cannot sail under the Harbour Bridge failing the availability of Garden Island.

My question to "powers that be" re this new cruise terminal. Is how are we supposed to get there? Is there going to be public transport i.e. light rail or anything to make it easier for the travelling public.

Probably not, too difficult to think of. Apart from not be able to use because ships can't get under the bridge. It is no-where near a railway station.

Complete waste of money!

I know. You know it's crazy, I know it's crazy, the world knows it's crazy, but.....!!! Heaven knows this country needs people at the top with a bit of foresight.

They will also need to do something about transport to the city.

As we all know the politicians are only concerned with the present rather than the future. :D

I'll be glad when the Qld election is over with.

NSW State government has never had any practical foresight - doesn't matter what side of the fence you vote on. We're still churning out water at the desalinisation plant "we had to have cos we were all going to die from no water" :rolleyes: - even the vast majority of the global warming experts (that's what it was called then haha) said it wasn't required - whilst our major dam (in fact all NSW dams) has it's flood gates open LOL

So ya think they have any foresight into a cruise ship terminal?

I know, maybe they can convert the Desal Plant into a cruise ship terminal bwaahahahahahahahahahahaha

TEAM enlisted for Sydney

could you post a link to your story at news weekly, so we can all read the full story

Im definetly a fan of bigger ships, so i don't really see myself at white bay in the future, i don't know why there is so much importance for having a terminal on the west side, as many of you said in 10-15 barely any ships will fit under the bridge.

The need to be focusing of trying to get Garden Island for cruises or if not find a new location such as botany bay.

i don't know why there is so much importance for having a terminal on the west side

because there is nowhere realistically on the Eastern side?? The Navy is actually looking for more spaces to park their ships too!! :)

Barry

Im definetly a fan of bigger ships, so i don't really see myself at white bay in the future, i don't know why there is so much importance for having a terminal on the west side, as many of you said in 10-15 barely any ships will fit under the bridge.

The need to be focusing of trying to get Garden Island for cruises or if not find a new location such as botany bay.

I'm a fan of bigger ships too. And I agree that Sydney will see larger ships in the future. having said that, if you don't see the importance of a new cruise ship terminal, tell us all where the cruise ships will tie up after barangaroo closes in Feb/march next year??

And I agree that Sydney will see larger ships in the future.

Depends on what you mean by that . Certainly there will be large ships visiting Sydney - but there are 7 days in every week, and seven ships per week into Sydney. For the home based ships, I am not convinced that the Australian market is big enough to cater for ships much bigger than the current P&O/Princess fleet. Nor would they be suitable for the natural ports of call in the islands or the South pacific.

barry

Depends on what you mean by that . Certainly there will be large ships visiting Sydney - but there are 7 days in every week, and seven ships per week into Sydney. For the home based ships, I am not convinced that the Australian market is big enough to cater for ships much bigger than the current P&O/Princess fleet. Nor would they be suitable for the natural ports of call in the islands or the South pacific.

barry

Barry you hit the nail on the head for my money. I think we couldn't sustain ships much bigger than 100000tns without reducing their frequency rate to compensate.its all about market forces in the end, supply and demand, cruise ship terminals come under that heading too.

Maybe there's a plan (which they haven't told us about yet :p) to nuke the Harbour Bridge and build another underground tunnel to replace it :D

OMG, what will they hang the fireworks on then? :eek:

No, the large ships will just have to go to Melbourne. It seems strange to me that more cruises don't leave from Melbourne.

Maybe there's a plan (which they haven't told us about yet :p) to nuke the Harbour Bridge and build another underground tunnel to replace it :D

Hahaha debsta! Love your sense of humor. I can see you're be fun company on a cruise.

Archived