"Pier" pressure - Garden Island & cruise ships

Nah!! - much more fun being delivered by catamaran and greeted by stewards wearing white gloves :)

SAM_1528Small.jpg

SAM_1527Small.jpg

Barry

Hey Barry, your photos make mine look very inadequate . How do you make them large for this forum??? Pardon me all for being off topic

I couldn't agree with you more Sutho,

I think its good news for the short term, that Cruise ships will be able to arrange berthings at Garden Island, but for once they government need to work out a long term plan, in 10 years we are not going to get by with 110,00+ ships being embarked by Marquee. This is why they now need to start investigating Port Botany, its large enough for a large terminal, proximity to the airport and city, and could hold about 1-2 Ships at a time. Carnival needs to get over this sensation of HAVING TO berth in Sydney Harbour and start pushing for a more realistic long term plan.

This is why they now need to start investigating Port Botany, its large enough for a large terminal, proximity to the airport and city, and could hold about 1-2 Ships at a time.

Two thoughts....

1. Dont count on the airport being in its present location in the years to come....(think Hong Kong :D)

2.They should be able to berth 6 ships. They will need to one day.

I can't see that (Kingsford Smith) moving. Remember it's privately owned as well...

Agreed, i can see a secondary airport being built, but Kingsford Smith staying the main one.

Also the area is mainly being used by container ships, so i doubt there would be enough room for 6 cruise ship terminals, which we wouldn't need anyway, it all depends on how much money they are willing to spend though, i think 1-3 is realistic for the next 10 years

I can't see that (Kingsford Smith) moving. Remember it's privately owned as well...

Privately owned is even more reason they will move...one day.....

just imagine the killing they will make from the real estate.:D

The residents will also force the move away...they already impose a curfew which will become unsustainable in the future, adding to the need to move away from the city.

As it is now ...the present airport is almost in the centre of the city .

In 2002, the Australian Government sold Sydney Airports Corporation Limited (later renamed to Sydney Airport Corporation Limited, SACL), the management authority for the airport, to Southern Cross Airports Corporation Holdings Ltd. 82.93 per cent of SACL is owned by MAp Airports International Limited, a subsidiary of Macquarie Bank, Sydney Airport Intervest GmbH own 12.11 per cent and Ontario Teachers' Australia Trust own 4.96 per cent.[9] SACL holds a 99 year lease on the airport which remains Crown land.

The airport is on Crown Land, so only the government can sell it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Airport

(Not the best reference, but I knew the land was Crown land.)

But can they sell it before the 99 year lease expires?

Can the private owners sell it before their 99 year lease expires?

If the private owners wish to sell before the 99 years is the least transferable?

Is the lease able to be revoked with the agreement of both parties, i.e Commonwealth Government and the private owners.

We have a similar situation here in Adelaide with Parafield Airport, the secondary and light aircraft airport. The land is Commonwealth land also leased to the private owners for 99 years. The airport is in the area of the Salisbury City Council who have no authority over industrial and retail development nor can collect rates for that land. The council is very unhappy about this situation and want to have the airport relocated to another location ostensibly because of resident complaints but they are a small minority. The airport was established in 1926. There was no residential development in the area until the 1950's.

The private owner's response to the Council is NOT FOR SALE, COME BACK AND SEE US IN 99 YEARS TIME.

I dont know about Sydney Airport but Adelaide Airport and Parafield Airport are there for the long haul.

John

I think flying into Sydney airport, where it is, is an attraction for itself, you get to fly over the harbour, look at the bridge, city and also the hard task of finding your house (if you leave in the eastern suburbs or North Shore) so i hope they don't move, however, if there was a plan to build a new world class, large airport with easy access to the city, i would not object. They could also pull a hong kong and turn one of the runways that come out into the bay into a terminal

The difficulty they're having finding where a secondary main airport can be located, there's no way Kingsford Smith is moving. While it is close to the city - which is a good thing for commerce and travellers - it's also well sited for industrial links and safety allowing traffic over water.

While they may come up with a major secondary location at some point, don't expect Kingsford Smith to be replaced.

The difficulty they're having finding where a secondary main airport can be located, there's no way Kingsford Smith is moving. While it is close to the city - which is a good thing for commerce and travellers - it's also well sited for industrial links and safety allowing traffic over water.

While they may come up with a major secondary location at some point, don't expect Kingsford Smith to be replaced.

Agreed, there is no chance of it moving, not at least in the next 50 years

I was Just thinking about botany Bay and playing around with Google earth and came up with this:

33x7h9s.jpg

Would this work, i mean it depends on how much the government would be willing to spend, transport, locals etc.. but structurally i could see it working

Archived