Sandals?

DJC111

I believe Oceania is referencing rubber flip flops as not being appropriate in the MDR at dinner although you can were them, sneakers and shorts in the MDR for lunch. They also do not allow sneakers at dinner in the MDR. I have never had a probably with my very plain and casual leather sandals.

To me Crocks will always look like rubber shower shoes no matter what the style...;)

You haven't visited a Croc store lately. They are way beyond rubber shoes. We wear lovely men's Crocs that are made of brown leather and except for a lower heel area could be mistaken for any of several high end loafers.

Wear what feels comfortable and necessary and as long as you don't look like you just got out of the pool no one REASONABLE will complain.

We cruised to Alaska on Oceania in July 2011. I wore dressy, heeled sandals pretty much every evening.

During the day, tennis shoes, hiking shoes, Merrills, Crocs, etc were ubiquitous. And, if you dine at the buffet in the evening vs the Grand dining room or one of the specialty restaurants, there is no need to even change for dinner and many didn't as they came to dinner right after returning from a shore excursion.

I was a bit offended in the steak restaurant one evening when they seated a man (I won't say gentleman) in blue jeans and tennis shoes. Since all the literature is very clear on the subject, I was shocked that he would flaunt it so blatantly. I am aware that in another restaurant on the same cruise, a passenger complained about another diner's attire and they did ask him to return to his cabin and change clothes. I don't believe the staff would have done a thing about it (the customer is always right :) unless there had been the complaint.

Hope this helps.

Good grief, on our recent cruise, we saw everything in the MDR from white denim jeans or tank tops on women, to a ball cap worn with big stripey socks and floppy, slipper-like footwear, to baggy, crumpled shirts and pants (not jeans) that looked like they had been slept in on men. After all that, I certainly don't have a problem with sandals that match a nice outfit. In fact, when someone on our cruise contacted O about proper "shoe-etiquette", they were indeed told that dressy sandals matching one's outfit were allowed. That said, I've found it's possible on occasion to "dress-up" a more comfortable sandal by pairing it with a nice skirt & top.

I know sandals have been done over and over but.... I have some silverish shoes that are like flip flops but made of dressy evening fabric. Do these count as evening shoes or sandals? I would wear these with a nice dress... surely they would let me in?

Good grief, on our recent cruise, we saw everything in the MDR from white denim jeans or tank tops on women, to a ball cap worn with big stripey socks and floppy, slipper-like footwear, to baggy, crumpled shirts and pants (not jeans) that looked like they had been slept in on men.

Was that for dinner?

You can wear those articles for breakfast & lunch in the GDR

my two cents... as long as your sandals aren't worn out/stained and look nice along with groomed feet and clipped toe nails with polish (for men and woman) - you are fine in my book! ;)

Yes, my father and my DH have had pedicures. :)

I'm all for the groomed and clipped but I'll pass on the polish on my toe nails. BUT, at the very minimum a man should wear closed toed shoes at dinner, so it really doesn't matter what your toes look like.

Quite frankly I find most people's feet rather nasty and would prefer to not see them, especially at dinner.

Sneakers, leather hat with stuffed animals attached, jeans and a hot pink polo shirt. He never removed the hat when he went into any of the restaurants unless a fellow guest complained. This was dinner. He would sit in the hot tub drink wine out of his bag. He was the talk of the ship. Oh the best day, he was throwing a boomerang around the pool deck. Fortunately there was not very many people up and about at that time.

Yes indeed, it was for dinner!!

I am shocked people dressed like that for dinner on Oceania

Never seen any of those outfits on our previous cruise for dinner

I guess O is now attracting a different clientele :eek:

Or maybe I am a snob :D

Lyn

I guess O is now attracting a different clientele :eek:

Or maybe I am a snob :D

Lyn

I'm not usually too concerned about what other people wear, but, considering that I took pains deciding what was appropriate attire to bring, I think certain other people could have put a little more effort into their choices.

I think certain other people could have put a little more effort into their choices.

I agree

As I said I have not seen this dress code or lack of before on our cruises

I do think the Maitre'd or dining room manager should have turned them away :eek:

Those may be acceptable in the Terrace but not in the other dining venues

I know others will disagree

For the most part Oceania cruise seem to dress very nicely for dinner

YMMV

Lyn

Yes they do. In fact, many people over-dress for dinner, since "Country Club Casual" lends itself to a fairly broad interpretation.

I'm afraid I will be wearing Crocs. My feet and legs are crippled and that is all I can walk in.

I know a couple who wear nothing but Character slippers - Every single night - for much the same reason as you.

Brian: Did you actually mean NOTHING other than Character slippers? We don't really have country clubs in the UK, so understanding the dress standard is a puzzle, but I didn't think it ran to nudism :o

LOL,

michael-kors-runway-sandals.jpg

If one comes into the dining room wearing nothing but slippers, sandals, clogs, flip flops, espadrilles,rubbers or shoes, there wont be a whisper of conversation or complaint about footwear

......but they might give you the boot

KickedOut.gif -after about twenty or thirty minutes ;)

Maybe Oceania should put an international picture card of what type of shoes/manner of dress is expected on the ship ;)

This would help people who do not know what they wear in Country Clubs

I have never been to a Country Club but seem to manage to dress appropriately for dinner

JMO

Lyn

Yes they do. In fact, many people over-dress for dinner, since "Country Club Casual" lends itself to a fairly broad interpretation.

Hi Riana, I'm new to Oceania, what would you describe as being 'over dressed'? and does it really matter?

Hi Riana, I'm new to Oceania, what would you describe as being 'over dressed'? and does it really matter?

On our Marina cruise, one female passenger wore the following on various nights:

o a perwinkle blue silk cocktail dress that had a wreath of stiffened silk loops along the neckline and over one shoulder. (The dress must have required an entire suitcase of its own to accommodate the volume.) The elevator carried two fewer people any time the cruiser rode the elevator that night.

o a red velvet dress with styling details including a leg of mutton sleeve. Very Charles Dickens. The outfit was finished with a red velvet hat.

o a nude colored chiffon shift. Applied to the nude fabric were large sparkly black paillettes forming the shape of a bikini.

o a mermaid shaped dress -- including train -- that was so tight at the knees the wearer needed assistance walking. The black color fabric was covered with silver paillettes, especially in the front.

Such outfits fit most cruisers' definition of overdressed. Did it matter? Only to the extent that if you don't want to be the topic of conversation, you might want to avoid packing equivalent clothes.

On our Marina cruise, one female passenger wore the following on various nights:

o a perwinkle blue silk cocktail dress that had a wreath of stiffened silk loops along the neckline and over one shoulder. (The dress must have required an entire suitcase of its own to accommodate the volume.) The elevator carried two fewer people any time the cruiser rode the elevator that night.

o a red velvet dress with styling details including a leg of mutton sleeve. Very Charles Dickens. The outfit was finished with a red velvet hat.

o a nude colored chiffon shift. Applied to the nude fabric were large sparkly black paillettes forming the shape of a bikini.

o a mermaid shaped dress -- including train -- that was so tight at the knees the wearer needed assistance walking. The black color fabric was covered with silver paillettes, especially in the front.

Such outfits fit most cruisers' definition of overdressed. Did it matter? Only to the extent that if you don't want to be the topic of conversation, you might want to avoid packing equivalent clothes.

Oh that is soooo funny.

Hi Glenndale--it doesn't matter at all if a person chooses to "dress up" more for dinner on O. It's just not necessary. You may see some women in gowns or with very dressy evening covers and jackets that would be acceptable as Formal attire on other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, or Celebrity.

The main thing, as many other members have suggested, is to dress as if you were going out to dinner at a good restaurant. I would add that many women, myself included, opt for lower heels onboard because they're more comfortable & easier to walk in.

Archived