Trying to put together a group land tour and I am at a loss

pryncesshmm

Hello folks,

I am trying to put together a group land tour for after our Northbound cruise next May 17-24, 2013 for our family reunion. There will be about 20 of us. I have contacted a couple tour companies about and I am getting rates between $1100-$1500 per person for a 3 night trip. The cruise tour with RCCL looks to be less than $950 per person - but strange enough varies with the different cabins that you book - the most expensive cruise tour option seems to be for inside cabin holders :confused:.

The problems I am seeing is this:

Reading reviews about the Denali portion of the cruisetours doesn't look promising - I have been seeing that the tour you get is the Natural History tour that really isn't worth it. We are looking for the longer 8 hour tour of Denali.

We are also hoping to do a tour in Seward of the Kenai Fjords. I am not seeing any cruise line tours that offer this in the 3 or 4 day range.

We do want to do a domed train on at least one leg of the trip.

And grandpa wants to do some gold panning. hehe. But we can do this on a cruise port if available.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me - either tour companies, or some info on how I might be able to accomplish this on our own. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Well, you're possibly here too early to do a long cruise in the Kenai Fjords, but you could do a shorter one.

Day one: disembark, take K.F. cruise--about $150/p

Take Goldstar service on AKRR to Anchorage--about $135/p

Hotel room in Anchorage--about $100/p (you could get a room for that THIS year...starting a year ahead you should easily get cheaper than that!)

So for the first day, you're at less than $400/day/person, + food.

Day 2...again, you're probably early to get far into Denali Nat'l Park. You should be able to get about 50 miles into the park, so it's decision time...head up for a short trip into Denali, or stay further south. If you stay further south, you could rent cars for 24 or 48 hours and take a day trip to the Matanuska Valley. Matanuska Glacier, Hatcher Pass, musk ox farm, reindeer farm, Iditarod headquarters, Martin Buser's kennel, fishing, rafting, kayaking, flightseeing...these are just some of the activities available, and the good news about needing to rent several cars is that you can divide up according to interests. Either spend the night in the Matanuska Valley, or head back to Anchorage for the night. Spend day 3 pursuing activities in Anchorage before catching your flights home (or do you actually have some of day 4 to spend in Anchorage--in which case you could either spend 2 days/nights in the Mat-Su Valley, or stay in Seward the first night and take the train the evening of day 2).

If you decide to go to DNP, you don't have time for the train (well, I guess that decides on when your flights leave on day 4)...it takes too long. You would have time to drive up, take a shuttle into the park, spend the night. Drive leisurely back to Anchorage (or Mat-Su area...again depending on timing of flights), sightseeing and partaking of various activities.

Of course, if you don't have enough adults willing to drive, this plan falls apart...you have to look for large group transportation, and I don't know what that would cost. But there is no way that renting cars and hotel rooms should cost as much as the prices you're seeing, unless the prices you are seeing also include activities and/or food.

A couple of issues ...

1. you're a little early in the season at Denali. The shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center doesn't start until June 1. Your choices are the TWT to mile 53 for $113, or the Toklat Shuttle to Mile 53 for $26.

2. You're a day short if you want to spend a day on the Kenai Fjords tour AND visit Denali. Look at a map and check the distances.

Day 1. Kenai cruise. Take the 6pm train from Seward to Anchorage.

Day 2 transit to Denali (6 hr drive) (train 8am -4pm)

Day 3 shuttle/tour into Denali

Day 4 transit back to Anchorage. (6 hr drive) (train noon - 8pm)

Red eye flight home??

The Toklat shuttle would give you the most flexibility for scheduling your group since it departs every 1/2 hr. You could choose times to meet individual needs, or if everyone needs to be on the same bus you can choose ONE time to meet everyone's needs.

The TWT has a morning window or afternoon window.

Toklat info: http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/toklat.aspx

TWT: http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

Travelling by car would offer you more flexibility for stopping along the way for scenery, wildlife sightings. Also gives you total flexibility in your arrival departure times; the train leaves ONCE a day. Cars would also give you access to more affordable lodging choices than the large complexes at the Park entrance. Cars would probably be significantly cheaper than 20 RR fares.

Train:

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

15 passenger Van rental:

http://abcmotorhome.com/rental_rates.html

Or get 3 mini vans at whichever car vendor offers the best rate.

Denali Lodging : http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Drives times and distance chart:

http://alaska.org/gettingaround/alaska-transportation-guide.htm

You should be able to put this together on your own at a much better price ... reservations for the Kenai cruise, train to Anc, lodging in Anchorage, vans, and Denali lodging.

A new thought ... once you arrive by train in Anchorage, Salmonberry Tours might be able to do a custom bus tour to Denali for your group. $$$$ but call and ask.

Well, you're possibly here too early to do a long cruise in the Kenai Fjords, but you could do a shorter one.

I am not sure what your definition of a "long" KF cruise is, but to me it is 6 hours or longer and those are definitely operating by the OP's date.

Just a general response. Twenty people at a minimum of $1000 per person is a $20,000 booking for a travel agent. You should be able to find a good agent who will jump through hoops for a sale of that size.

DON

I would start by visiting http://www.travelalaska.com/ - the state tourism site. There you can get some better ideas of what to do where. If you send for their Offical Vacation Planner you will get a nice booklet filled with places to stay, visit, and eat as well as ideas on how to maximize whatever amount of time you have.

I know that the Alaska Railroad offers several tours and they do have the full dome cars in their Goldstar Package - visit their website for more information http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Vacations/tabid/121/Default.aspx

BTW they consider 20 or more people as a group and therefore able to get group rates.

You have pleanty of time so shop around until you find what works best for you.

I agree, you are a day short. In your timeframe, the rates should be low. I've traveled in this timeframe the last several years, and rates were reduced.

I too, would suggest several vans. Taking the train Seward/Anchorage, after a Kenai Fjords boat tour, again with short time, is the only train I recommend. By road to Denali Park, you could have all day for some short side trips. 2 over nights at Denali with the Toklat Shuttle. Several budget hotels that are in the area to consider. The self drive would give you far more freedom, hotel and meal options.

Same on the drive back to Anchorage- stop along the way. The only gold panning that I know of is Crow Creek mine on the Seward Highway, near Girdwood. Would require back tracking, and time. I suppose, if you have an early departure from Denali, it could be included later afternoon. But verify open times.

Hi....I am not an ALASKA EXPERT but I DO have a lot of experience with groups, events, parties

and yes cruises

*I am NOT a travel agent.

It can be like "herding cats" <grin>

My advice would be to figure out the most important things that you want to include and then plan around that

You might want to set up some sort of website...or a blog...(blog easy and can be free at blogger.com) so that people can communicate and see what you have planned

Hardest part is getting them to get them to commit...money talks and you know what walks LOL

With friends (and family) it is easy for people to SAY yes, get all excited etc...and then you can't get hold of them for deposit, final pay

With 20 people you are pretty "close" to the edge for group deals...IF one couple or family drops out you may be stuck so you should plan that in advance. ALSO ...perhaps see if any other family/friends want to join the group (to give you a buffer)

HTH

I can't imagine several vans and the organization that would take, not to mention Hertz in Seward probably not having "several vans" available at any given time. This probably requires a lot more planning than just going online to book a few vans IMHO.

I guess you haven't planned a family reunion for 20-40 people. :)

This is a short trip, and a year away so the planning won't be THAT difficult.

And it's not several vans; the suggestion is 3 minivans from Anchorage, 8-10 rooms for a night in Anch, 2 nights Denali, the Kenai cruise,the train, and the Denali bus.

I think the biggest problem as someone else suggested, is getting people to commit. Often times with group travel/reunions, the coordinator chooses 1 or 2 hotels and everyone is responsible for booking their own room by a certain date (6 months in advance). People could also book the other activities on their own as well, ie some may want to kayak instead of doing the Kenai cruise. This takes a lot of the pressure off the coordinator. He/she still has to do the research and provide the options, so it's still a lot of work, but not overwhelming.

Planning family dinners is the hardest part... finding a restaurant that meets everyone's needs can be tricky. In this instance they could rent several cabins near Denali and have potlucks/bbq's ! Of course, the easiest option would be to book the train to Anchorage then have a tour company take care of the rest.

BTW, pryncess .... if you decide to go with 3 cars, start watching the Enterprise site in July. They've had a great deal every summer for the past several years. Watch the site weekly; it's brief sale. ($100 a week for an economy car)

I guess you haven't planned a family reunion for 20-40 people. :)

This is a short trip, and a year away so the planning won't be THAT difficult.

And it's not several vans; the suggestion is 3 minivans from Anchorage, 8-10 rooms for a night in Anch, 2 nights Denali, the Kenai cruise,the train, and the Denali bus.

Hmm. 3 is "several" in my dictionary :)

I thought it was already suggested that with their short time frame, Denali is out unless they extend their trip by at least a day.

Also, if they are arriving into Seward but picking up the "3" or "several" vans in Anchorage, they still need to get to Anchorage. The train is certainly a good option, but not the only one. In fact, with such a short land trip, I personally feel the train is a mistake. Being able to stop along the Seward Highway is a huge plus to those who won't see much else of Alaska. So that means figuring out that part of the trip.

Still enough work involved, as you also already detailed!

Deciding on an area/feasible area is first step

Next step is book a hotel, hold those rooms....

put them in your name then dole them out to people/families who make a deposit

Make sure that there are options for eating ....near the hotel and IF people want something else they can do that themselves

Hotel/lodging is key...

remember hotels fill up....

unlike a cruise ship with thousands of people

The worst scenario is to have the group at different hotels/motels or whatever.....just really hard to pull together then

IF you have a central lodging the rest can "wing it"

IF the group is split up.....10 people at a hotel, 5 at another motel,

and 5 at a "lodge"....then you are pretty much messed up.

Regarding a "potluck">> someone has to buy the food , cook it, clean up.

I have hosted many "house parties" and potlucks..and it is NOT all that easy

You may not have the right sort of equipment, utensils, plates etc..

and...prices are HIGH in Alaska...plus WHO will find the supermarket, drive there

etc??? Pulling off a potluck will take time away from sightseeing

Find a (central) place to stay first IMHO and work from there

The worst scenario is to have the group at different hotels/motels or whatever.....just really hard to pull together then

IF you have a central lodging the rest can "wing it"

Regarding a "potluck">> someone has to buy the food , cook it, clean up.

I have hosted many "house parties" and potlucks..and it is NOT all that easy

My experience with family reunions is that ONE hotel doesn't work for everyone's budget or taste. People stay at 2 different locations and are responsible for getting themselves to activities.

Potlucks were enormously successful for us, to the point where we expanded it to include 3 meals a day for 3 days last time. We had a sign up sheet and different families signed up for b'fast on Day 1 or lunch on Day 2. On the way to the cabins, people stopped at Fred Meyer to buy a cheap cooler, groceries and paper plates etc. It couldn't have been easier.

Apparently things work differently for different families. No cats to herd in mine thankfully :) .

Since OP was looking for a tour, our comments are probably moot anyway.

Wow folks, thank you so much for all the suggestions!

Funny enough, I *AM* a travel agent (though corporate and not leisure) - and honestly most of us set up the cruisetour direct with the cruise lines and go about our merry way ;) Nobody in my company at least has any idea about doing a group like this privately... :rolleyes:

It would be the easy way out for sure to book with the cruiseline. But I don't see an itinerary that I can include what everyone wants. I haven't had much luck with the private tour companies.

Looks like we will try to do this on our own. :eek:

And your right... it IS hard to get people to commit! haha

What works for our family and friends would be a plan something like this:

Everyone in the group cruises. Then at the end of the cruise, it's more individual. As the leader (which is the role I usually find myself in, due to things like having the time, experience at it, and enjoying the planning), you might want to choose what works best for you, let people know what that is, and tell them what they have to do if they want to join in (i.e., reserve the Kenai Fjords cruise, the Alaska Railroad or a car rental from Seward to Anchorage, hotel in Anchorage, etc). Giving them a few other ideas to choose from is helpful, too, but have them do the follow through. As an example, last year after a cruise, 1/2 of our group added on more days together. Even though 1/2 of us extended our trip, we made our own hotel arrangements and went home on different days, with different airlines. This year, a group of us went to Africa. 4 of us were together the entire trip, from the time we picked up another couple at their house until we dropped them off at their house 6 weeks later. Other couples came and went on their own before and after the 12 days we all spent together as a group in Tanzania.

I have learned not to make the arrangements for others unless there is a really good reason for me to do it. And I have to say that after this last trip, I might decide that there is no reason good enough:D

I would suggest the family groups, plan their own interior Alaska touring. No way are you going to get everyone to agree. If you were to suggest, a night in Anchorage, then two nights in Denali. I would think that would be enough. Then choices could be made- train/bus/car Sewardto Anchorage. Car, RV, Anchorage to Denali. Back to Anchorage for an overnight flight home. Activies per each group's choice. Some could take a cruisetour etc etc. I would not try and plan one "tour". You already are together on the ship.

Another thing to consider if you end up using a central area as a base, is to rent a house. 5 of as are staying in anchorage for 3 nights in August and it was must cheaper to rent a house than to get hotel rooms.

i've used vrbo.com in a few cities but there are other ones out there. Just google alaska home rental.

5 of as are staying in anchorage for 3 nights in August and it was must cheaper to rent a house than to get hotel rooms.

For most people, 3 nights in Anchorage is 2 nights too long. But if it works for you, great. Just that it is very rare for those who truly want to see Alaska will spend that much time in Anchorage.

Small buses hold 21 passengers. Maybe one of the shuttle companies would be interested in ferrying you all around for 3 or 4 days. Then you would have a driver and guide to point out places of interest.

Wouldn't hurt to ask a price.

You can book princess lodges privately and they offer group discounts. If it is on a day their cruises aren't in then they might love to have you all!

Small buses hold 21 passengers. Maybe one of the shuttle companies would be interested in ferrying you all around for 3 or 4 days. Then you would have a driver and guide to point out places of interest.

You can book princess lodges privately and they offer group discounts. If it is on a day their cruises aren't in then they might love to have you all!

You could ask but my guess is that would destroy the budget. I have looked into this just for short/road trips in Florida and the price is really high, with a LOT of restrictions. Getting a group to ante up that money would be pretty hard IMHO

Hello folks,

I am trying to put together a group land tour for after our Northbound cruise next May 17-24, 2013 for our family reunion. There will be about 20 of us. I have contacted a couple tour companies about and I am getting rates between $1100-$1500 per person for a 3 night trip. The cruise tour with RCCL looks to be less than $950 per person - but strange enough varies with the different cabins that you book - the most expensive cruise tour option seems to be for inside cabin holders :confused:.

The problems I am seeing is this:

Reading reviews about the Denali portion of the cruisetours doesn't look promising - I have been seeing that the tour you get is the Natural History tour that really isn't worth it. We are looking for the longer 8 hour tour of Denali.

We are also hoping to do a tour in Seward of the Kenai Fjords. I am not seeing any cruise line tours that offer this in the 3 or 4 day range.

We do want to do a domed train on at least one leg of the trip.

And grandpa wants to do some gold panning. hehe. But we can do this on a cruise port if available.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me - either tour companies, or some info on how I might be able to accomplish this on our own. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Break this up into several segments and it becomes easier.

Skagway is a good place for gold panning.

There is a Kenai Fjords cruise/transfer to Anchorage Airport offered by RCCL

Radiance this year and you can do that to get your group to Anchorage for a night or 2 after Kenai Fjords.

From Anchorage,look for a tour with a domed train ride to Denali, lodging, bus tour into the Park. Check this site: (http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm)

to see what you want to do re distance into the park.

We went to roads end(90 miles) and spent a night as part of our tour.

Then take a bus or train back to Anchorage, airport?/Hotel?

There are lots of tour companies and nothing is cheap. Good Luck.

Rick

At least for the basic transfers that was also what I was thinking. Several companies could do the transfers. Not sure you really need "3 or 4 days" of constant shuttling but "transfers" might be very reasonable with the right sized vehicle.

I would suggest the family groups, plan their own interior Alaska touring. No way are you going to get everyone to agree. If you were to suggest, a night in Anchorage, then two nights in Denali. I would think that would be enough. Then choices could be made- train/bus/car Sewardto Anchorage. Car, RV, Anchorage to Denali. Back to Anchorage for an overnight flight home. Activies per each group's choice. Some could take a cruisetour etc etc. I would not try and plan one "tour". You already are together on the ship.

I have to agree with BQ. We were only 4 and couldn't agree on what to do for the land portion.

I ended up booking a HAL cruisetour to the Yukon & interior Alaska with just a short cruise (2 in our small group get real seasick) so didn't want the 7 day cruise.

Once I told everyone what cruisetour I was looking at, they all went along. No more discussion. I just said this is what I'm doing, if you want in, I need your deposit money by XX.

Archived