Crazy letter received from RCCL

Did the bill they gave at the end of your cruise match up with what they charged the CC ?

The Op has yet to return, so at this point, we don't even know if the card was charged at all.

One thing I will say is, contrary to some poor advice given earlier in this thread, whether the card was charged or not, the OP still needs to talk with RCI and get this settled. Debts don't just go away by ignoring them and if RCI's records show she owes them money, she can forget ever sailing a ship under the RCCL flag again.

I am going to look on line today, but the charges that were on my bill when we left the ship are the same as what they said went onto someone else's cc.

I got my mail, later in the day... I have two small kids.. with dinner, showers and homework I wasn't calling last night, hence why I wrote something on here.

Only took me 2 minutes to type out my OP

I will let you know, it says it came from RCCL, but I too wondered why I wouldn't have been CALLED by them for payment... They didn't say anything in the letter about my b2b. I just said our first payment had come ON my statement, therefore I knew they had the right card for the first trip.

Having never done a b2b before I didn't go to customer service and "reissue" my card... or my hubby's card for that matter.

I just thought someone had received that same letter and would know if it was legit or not. I will come back this afternoon when I have spoken to my bank AND RCCL

Thanks for all the tips.

It didn't sit right with me, so I was glad to hear some of you also found it odd.

Chass

If this a scam my concern would be is how did they know I was away on a cruise?

There are hackers that have gotten into top security US government security systems as well as NASA.

Not difficult at all.

If this a scam my concern would be is how did they know I was away on a cruise? If this is truly a scam I would also contact local police and report this.

This information would not be hard to get. Sign up here. Review all of the roll calls and use google to cross reference the names used. I'm sure there are people who have a little too much information out here.

Scams are all too common-who hasn't gotten the cell phone call from "their bank"? Call the bank-it's what they're there for & they can flag the acct that there was a security attempt against it.

As far as your credit card vs. your husbands on the same account-they could be 2 different numbers, even on a joint account. My bank recently changed our long held account to 2 different card numbers. It's still against the same account, we receive one bill, but the idea is if only one of the cards is lost, it can be blocked & the other cardholder would still have use of their card. It's been inconveient at times, but I think if I we ever lost one of the 2 cards, especially while traveling, we'd really appreciate it!

When all this is settled, please do establish credit in your own name. No one knows what tomorrow may bring, and good credit in your own name can be a very valuable asset.

Since I have credit in my own name, how do I go about establishing credit in someone else's name.

I think that would be great!:eek:

.... it came from RCCL, but I too wondered why I wouldn't have been CALLED by them for payment...

It didn't sit right with me, so I was glad to hear some of you also found it odd.

Chass

Just a quick word of caution to the OP.... even if they had CALLED you, it would not have been smart to give someone your credit card number over the phone without checking the situation out for yourself FIRST. I would have been even more leery in this situation. Never, ever give out your credit card number to someone who calls you on the phone saying you owe them money. Instead, "Tell you what, let me investigate this myself and I'll get back to you.". Someone legit will understand your skepticism and caution, their name and contact info will be easy enough to verify by calling the company direct (in this case, RCI). Someone not-so-legit is going to either bail or insist on being the one to call you back.

Let us know what happens with this situation, the info could be helpful to someone else.

Slightly off-topic and really not my business, but: I agree that you should establish some credit in your own name. You truly just never know when you will find yourself on your own, and with no credit, you could be in a real pickle. Especially at your age, especially with children depending on you. I found myself in a similar situation 10 years ago, so I know.

A flunky is a person who does menial work - I'm not sure why that's a particularly insulting thing to call someone who does telephone customer service. I guess no one likes hearing their job described as menial, but really the term is more insulting to the job than to the person doing it!

A flunky is a person who does menial work - I'm not sure why that's a particularly insulting thing to call someone who does telephone customer service. I guess no one likes hearing their job described as menial, but really the term is more insulting to the job than to the person doing it!

Semantics.

Love it!:D

So after spending MUCH time on the phone with RCCL and my bank, it appears that NONE of the actual ship charges were put on my credit card.

Turns out, the pre boarding charges went on, my pop card and a few excursions but the tips, and other spending money from the trip weren't. Also, my "future cruise" deposits went on but in the end the tips etc weren't included.

Because we are from Canada(or so they said), they don't itemize things, just a general charge from RCCL would have been put on the card... and it wasn't.

I also talked to Royal, who said that they get complaints all the time about the "look" of the letter they send out. Said they are working on it.

I appreciate the help, we spend quite a bit of time researching the numbers, because so many things DID in fact go on before and even during they were hesitant, but in the end... the numbers just didn't add up. Also, we were hosting a group, and our travel agent had quit while we were on the ship.. this affected some things. I had to pay for the transfers for our WHOLE group to the ship, which appeared to have been processed and then needed a refund from my travel company which added extra numbers to the mix...

I am STILL waiting to hear from the collecting dept from Royal. I talked to someone from the "post cruise" area but she could only go on the file and see that we had in fact been on the ship... she wasn't able to get into specifics.

Thanks again everyone... I appreciate the help.

Safe Travels to you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is still checking on here...

But to continue the crazy, we STILL haven't heard back from RCCL

I called them THREE times, and have been told they will contact me within 48 hours... STILL have heard nothing from them.

Not sure what else to say, other then they don't seem to be very concerned with getting my payment. The time I called, they wanted to just take my VISA number but I am still waiting to speak to the lady who has sent the letter and whom I have left messages with.

Just thought I would fill you in.

Chass

Chass...thanks for the update.

At this point, I think you've done your due diligence. If or when RCCL contacts you again (if this is indeed RCCL) I think I'd ask them for a written letter outlining what transpired with your CC....what you owe, and why they believe you owe it. I'd want it on RCCL letter head, too.

While this may very well be legitimate, I give no credence to someone I don't know, calling me on the phone, telling me I owe them money.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

I hope everythingh works our for you and do let us know. My DH a few times has received emails saying something is wrong with our acct and to verify information, & I tell him a bank will send an official letter if there is a problem. I am saying I bet RCL would do the same. Excuse me, forgot, was this an email or a letter she received.

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY had a call returned, after receiving an email 13 days ago saying they are still waiting for payment, and would be sending me to collections if it isn't received by April 30th.

I had left a total of 5 voice messages for the woman, she said she hadn't received any of them.

I told her to resend me a letter on with an exact amount that they say we owe, broken down to items and I would be happy to make a third of the payment through my bank who I have spoken with and will confirm that it is in fact RCCL before they put through the money order. Once I am comfortable that they are legit I will finish payment.

This has been a gong show...

I hope they keep their books better then this with THAT many people on and off a ship the size of Oasis.

FINALLY had a call returned, after receiving an email 13 days ago saying they are still waiting for payment, and would be sending me to collections if it isn't received by April 30th.

I had left a total of 5 voice messages for the woman, she said she hadn't received any of them.

I told her to resend me a letter on with an exact amount that they say we owe, broken down to items and I would be happy to make a third of the payment through my bank who I have spoken with and will confirm that it is in fact RCCL before they put through the money order. Once I am comfortable that they are legit I will finish payment.

I hope they keep their books better then this with THAT many people on and off a ship the size of Oasis.

Because you asked THEM to DO something; namely provide you with a detailed invoice, If its not "in the system", "part of their system" or already sitting on their desk, I'd wager, you can expect it to be months before somebody responds to your ( not unreasonable request:rolleyes:) request. However, you will likely continue to get harassing emails about collections since that is already in the "system" .

I'd love for you to report back when they actually give you that invoice. I'd put money that you will get at least 2 more calls/emails/letters for payment before that happens. And I bet the time it takes will be measured in weeks not days.

Wow! This has been a gong show. Of course, too bad that there is no paper trail for leaving messages. Think I would either find a fax address, send everything email with read receipt, or registered mail in dealing with this for your own protection. Hope this will not impact your credit. Maybe get the credit card company on board so they know what the problem is without any impact to your credit rating.

I remember recently seeing a news report on a lady who was harrassed by telemarketers and began recording any call that came to her. Not sure if you want to go so far, but might help if you have any conversation regarding this matter by phone.

Wishing you the best with this matter.

Yeah, I know that we didn't pay... I have checked and been in constant contact with VISA. They know the issues we've been dealing with, but the problem I have, as I have mentioned is just how TERRIBLE the tracking system has been.

I have no issue paying a reliable, respectful appropriate request... but this has been anything but those things.

I feel like the only way to make a difference for someone who maybe isn't as able as I am to deal with things is to make sure they are answering the questions I HAVE as well as providing me with proper paperwork.

Anyways, once I have received what I asked for, I will post it.

I have been home since February 9th... This is crazy.

Thanks for the supportive posts. I appreciate it.

Archived