Green Grotto Caves

hal2008

My husband and I did this recently in March. Since we have seen a lot of caves in our time, I was a little leery that this one would be anticlimatic. However, both of us agreed it was well worth the $12 apiece admission cost. The guide was great and although the stalagtites and stalagmites were only so-so, this cave had some (at least for us) unique features. When there was an opening in the cave's roof, huge tangles of roots reached all the way to the cave floor. There were bats and even a (non-poisonous) snake (the guide explained all the recent rain had driven him underground). I think the tour lasted approx. 1 1/2 hr. and included 2 caves.

Although it has been a couple years since we did this tour it was paired with Dunns river falls when we did it.

Make sure you wear sturdy sneakers, athletic shoes, walking shoes, whatever they are called these days. Do not wear sandals, flip flops..............

The ground inside the caves are rocky, and uneven.

We managed fine in our sneakers.

Wished I took a flashlight for the underground lake, felt like we missed out on some of it.

The history and the guide around these caves is well worth the cost.

When done make sure you take small bills to buy some water, my husband only had a ten dollar bill, bought three bottled waters at a dollar a piece and got 7 (whatevers ) in Jamiacan money.

Enjoy

Safe travels.

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm that Caves were not disappointing (if not nothing exceptional).

Guides are good.

and contrary to some old CC posts, there are no mosquitoes (bats take care of them)

Restroom and snack bar facilities are quite satisfactory.

Entry price is less than 2 USD for locals but about 20 USD for foreigners.

It is not worth spending 20 USD in my opinion (in our case it was free due to oddball strange pricing by RCCL)

• 7 months later...

I'm hearing about admission prices to the cave. Do those include a guided tour? I don't want to pay for RCCL's Falls and Grotto excursions because I'm only interested in the caves and every other tour company offers this tour for $40+.

Would I be able to take a cab to the caves and just...go?

Are the caves pretty tight or are the areas large or a combination or both. Are you in the caves quite a while? I am claustrophobic but DH wants to do this with the Dunns River combo. I would be OK if the rooms are big and the time in is fairly short. I am wondering if I need a drink before I go in................ to head off the claustrophobia. :o

A for instance is the a semi-sub trip we did in Curacao where I learned I definately can not do the sub option. I ended up most of the trip up top of the sub/boat with a couple other people who couldn't deal with the tight quarters. :eek:

Archived