Diamond members..are you aware of this policy?

What happens on a ship such as the Explorer where there is not a special conceiger lounge? I am diamond and my cabin mate just turned platinum -- 2 females -- so I guess she will be turned away?

Neither of us drink alcohol. But would be curious to see and meet the attendees.

MARAPRINCE

When we were on Ex, there were very few people each night at the Diamond event. There were 2 bartenders there each night, but no concierge of any kind. So I guess you could just ask them.

In 2008 (when diamond members were allowed in CL), I was able to bring my platinum member companion into the concierge lounge with me for evening drinks. The concierge knew and didn't tell us it wasn't allowed. I assumed it was okay.

In 2010 I sailed with my platinum member mom. I tried to bring her to the diamond event with me on Serenade. Based on my previous experience, I thought it was allowed. The concierge set me straight! He raised his voice when telling me that bringing my mom was unacceptable so it felt like he was deliberately bringing attention to me, perhaps as a warning to others. I didn't go back to the diamond event.

In 2012 I sailed with another platinum member on Adventure. This time there was a letter in the cabin stating that they would check cards for the diamond event and non-diamond members were not allowed. I didn't bother to go.

I guess RC has started leaving the letters to make sure that everyone knows that non-diamond members are not allowed.

In 2008 (when diamond members were allowed in CL), I was able to bring my platinum member companion into the concierge lounge with me for evening drinks. The concierge knew and didn't tell us it wasn't allowed. I assumed it was okay.

In 2010 I sailed with my platinum member mom. I tried to bring her to the diamond event with me on Serenade. Based on my previous experience, I thought it was allowed. The concierge set me straight! He raised his voice when telling me that bringing my mom was unacceptable so it felt like he was deliberately bringing attention to me, perhaps as a warning to others. I didn't go back to the diamond event.

In 2012 I sailed with another platinum member on Adventure. This time there was a letter in the cabin stating that they would check cards for the diamond event and non-diamond members were not allowed. I didn't bother to go.

I guess RC has started leaving the letters to make sure that everyone knows that non-diamond members are not allowed.

Maybe that's why effective September 1, 2009 a Diamond Member's privilege to use the CL was taken away and shortly there after a Diamond Event was initiated on all ships without a dedicated DL. I think they called it "over crowding".

I believe with any rule, the inconsistency is what ruins it. Some say yes others say no. My biggest beef is the way in which they inform you, some of the staff are nasty and self-righteous. I am glad as a Diamond Plus to have the luxury of chosing which lounge to go too.

p.s. if parents are in your household and are sharing a cabin - why no for them?

Patti,

That may be the case, but I blame the misunderstanding on RC/concierge. That was my third cruise as a diamond member but the first time that I sailed on a ship with a concierge lounge. There was a welcome letter from the concierge with the CL key that was addressed to both of us, not just to me. I didn't know the rules so based on that letter, I thought companions were allowed in the lounge. We were chatting with the concierge and he asked about the cruises we had taken. He knew how many cruises we each had taken and which ships we had been on. The lounge was never crowded so that might be why exceptions were made on that sailing. I didn't realize that bringing a platinum member in the CL was incorrect until later. I doubt that I would have gone into the lounge at all if the letter were addressed only to me.

Patti,

That may be the case, but I blame the misunderstanding on RC/concierge. That was my third cruise as a diamond member but the first time that I sailed on a ship with a concierge lounge. There was a welcome letter from the concierge with the CL key that was addressed to both of us, not just to me. I didn't know the rules so based on that letter, I thought companions were allowed in the lounge. We were chatting with the concierge and he asked about the cruises we had taken. He knew how many cruises we each had taken and which ships we had been on. The lounge was never crowded so that might be why exceptions were made on that sailing. I didn't realize that bringing a platinum member in the CL was incorrect until later. I doubt that I would have gone into the lounge at all if the letter were addressed only to me.

Absolutely agree. There are some Concierge that look the other way and then there are those that run their lounge by the book. Another good example of not being consistent. And then they wonder why people are upset.

My comment above was not directed at you in a sarcastic manner I was just trying to establish a time frame.

That's kind of creepy!

The concierge can bring up on his/her screen a pretty detailed page on the guest...including a picture of the guest. It's Royal Caribbean's information and probably accessible to many members of the staff ie. concierge, loyalty ambassadors, guest services, finance office, etc. In this age of technology you can bet that they know and have kept a detailed record of a lot of information on each of us including cruises, complaints, infractions and much more. (Maybe even how someone described on Cruise Critic their method for smuggling.:eek:;):eek: and with a key stroke can bring it to the screen. Then there is the topic of facial recognition programs.....

The concierge can bring up on his/her screen a pretty detailed page on the guest...including a picture of the guest. It's Royal Caribbean's information and probably accessible to many members of the staff ie. concierge, loyalty ambassadors, guest services, finance office, etc. In this age of technology you can bet that they know and have kept a detailed record of a lot of information on each of us including cruises, complaints, infractions and much more. (Maybe even how someone described on Cruise Critic their method for smuggling.:eek:;):eek: and with a key stroke can bring it to the screen. Then there is the topic of facial recognition programs.....

Yeah I wonder if they 'put stuff in your chart' like in that Seinfeld episode with Elaine :eek:

I wouldn't be suprised it the concierge knew what level you were but to know all the ships seems stalkerish!

Marci - I didn't see it as creepy, just well-informed. We had been on a previous Mediterranean cruise but on a Radiance class rather than Vision class ship. He asked us about the ships and ports. He had been concierge on one of the other ships that I had sailed on so he asked my thoughts about that ship. There weren't very many of us using the lounge so the concierge was able to spend time talking to many of the guests.

Patti - Apologies. It seemed like you were saying that I was the reason that D's aren't allowed in the CL anymore. I wanted to establish that I wasn't knowingly violating the rules. I have only traveled with non-D members lately so I haven't been to a diamond lounge or event. I'm helping keep those events under-crowded for the rest of the diamond members.

I doubt if they'll extend benefits to someone based on the fact that they may be entitled to them at a future date.

Worst comes to worst they say "not yet" and provide an explanation of how to proceed when the time comes. Takes 2 minutes to shoot off an e-mail! Just MHO.

Patti - Apologies. It seemed like you were saying that I was the reason that D's aren't allowed in the CL anymore. I wanted to establish that I wasn't knowingly violating the rules. I have only traveled with non-D members lately so I haven't been to a diamond lounge or event. I'm helping keep those events under-crowded for the rest of the diamond members.

Oh no, no apologies necessary. I think we were both trying to establish something and it got kinda lost in translation.:o

Back in 2008 when the position of Concierge was placed back under the direction of Guest Relations and the salary of a Concierge was cut in half.......it did not make the life of a Concierge an easy one.

This is what they pay particular attention to.

This is what they pay particular attention to.

Ok I am curious, what do you mean by "complaints, infractions and much more" being important. What kind of infractions are they looking for? I'm sure I am guilty of something and it's fascinating to imagine that they would go to the trouble of documenting it!

Ok I am curious, what do you mean by "complaints, infractions and much more" being important. What kind of infractions are they looking for? I'm sure I am guilty of something and it's fascinating to imagine that they would go to the trouble of documenting it!

complaints: some people go to guest services and complain; complaints are taken seriously and recorded. I would imagine that if someone complains over and over and over on cruises they will create a reputation for themselves and be so noted.

infractions: verbal abuse of staff is the first to come to my mind. When complaining, the staff is usually listening and recording so that they can pass the complaint on to the department that can best resolve the complaint. Wow, I have seen some people at guest services who were way over the top and yelling at the staff. I can't imagine that this behavior would go un-noted.

and more: on the Enchantment last week I went to the front desk to communicate a compliment about how the staff handled the customs operation at Key West. The staff member immediately pulled up a computer screen, asked my cabin number and typed something on a chart.

They probably keep track of the good as well as the bad. The vast majority of us are typical guests....generally happy, a few complaints or requests, and basically follow their rules and by doing so we remain well below their radar.

Most businesses stress documentation, documentation, documentation of all customer encounters...positive and negative. It's just good business practice.

I've always felt that Royal Caribbean wanted to maintain the best product possible, therefore keeping a detail record and analysis of customer feedback would be very helpful.

Filling out the customer survey at the end of the cruise is extremely important; it has our names and cabin number on it. I put a lot of thought into it when I fill it in. I would imagine a summary of all mine would indicate that I'm a cruiser that claims to be receiving an excellent to good vacation from the line.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE DIAMOND LOUNGE and I have written to Miami about this topic. That e-mail was probably noted somewhere. Today, I sent an e-mail to Miami praising the staff and crew of the Enchantmet for their actions on the Feb. 27th and May 10th cruise. Again, I can't help but believe there will be a notation of that positive statement kept somewhere...even it's simply a "+" for the Enchantment crew in some column.

I hope this helps.

I think you might have to ask beachnative since that is the post that I quoted.

Edit: I see that you are getting clarification to your question.

I would imagine that if someone complains over and over and over on cruises they will create a reputation for themselves and be so noted.

And that, we know is true. I think it might actually be taboo to say her name on this board, but remember the CC member banned from RCI because of constant complaints?

I will just say this...the complaints, infractions and much more" are definately made part of a "profile". RCI knows who it is that constantly complains, asks for compensation, is rude to staff etc. There has been more than one letter issued by RCI advising folks they are no longer welcome.

And that, we know is true. I think it might actually be taboo to say her name on this board, but remember the CC member banned from RCI because of constant complaints?

Yup and how she posted the ways in which you could get some OBC, free meals, future credit, etc.

I wrote a letter to RCI voicing my concern about a particular matter (not a complaint per se) and this is part of the letter I got back from the Corporate Guest Relations Advocate:

"We believe listening to our customers is the most effective way to create the best possible cruise experience. All guest feedback is submitted into a database which is regularly published to our operational teams for review. I assure you we do our best to make improvements in the areas where our guests feel they are most needed. Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments."

complaints: some people go to guest services and complain; complaints are taken seriously and recorded. I would imagine that if someone complains over and over and over on cruises they will create a reputation for themselves and be so noted.

infractions: verbal abuse of staff is the first to come to my mind. When complaining, the staff is usually listening and recording so that they can pass the complaint on to the department that can best resolve the complaint. Wow, I have seen some people at guest services who were way over the top and yelling at the staff. I can't imagine that this behavior would go un-noted.

and more: on the Enchantment last week I went to the front desk to communicate a compliment about how the staff handled the customs operation at Key West. The staff member immediately pulled up a computer screen, asked my cabin number and typed something on a chart.

They probably keep track of the good as well as the bad. The vast majority of us are typical guests....generally happy, a few complaints or requests, and basically follow their rules and by doing so we remain well below their radar.

Most businesses stress documentation, documentation, documentation of all customer encounters...positive and negative. It's just good business practice.

I've always felt that Royal Caribbean wanted to maintain the best product possible, therefore keeping a detail record and analysis of customer feedback would be very helpful.

Filling out the customer survey at the end of the cruise is extremely important; it has our names and cabin number on it. I put a lot of thought into it when I fill it in. I would imagine a summary of all mine would indicate that I'm a cruiser that claims to be receiving an excellent to good vacation from the line.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE DIAMOND LOUNGE and I have written to Miami about this topic. That e-mail was probably noted somewhere. Today, I sent an e-mail to Miami praising the staff and crew of the Enchantmet for their actions on the Feb. 27th and May 10th cruise. Again, I can't help but believe there will be a notation of that positive statement kept somewhere...even it's simply a "+" for the Enchantment crew in some column.

I hope this helps.

RC keeps track of so much more than most cruisers realize....Lets say your a passenger and go to the specialty restaurants on lets say Oasis. You go to every pay venue to eat during a week and at each and every dining venue you go to guest relations and "claim" the food was horrible at each venue. RC keeps track of lets say "blatant complainers" or individuals who complain to complain or try to keep getting something for nothing. After so much of this cruise lines not just RC will blacklist you so to speak. So when I see a person post something like"the food in the MDR was inedible all week" or " the food was horrible shipwide" or " there was no selection in the windjammer", well either these are very miserable folks or they are the small percentage who try to get extra perks or something for nothing. And by blacklisiting I mean after so many of these complaints the cruise line will cease to try to appease these people with extra perks, free bottles of wine, etc. etc.......K.O. near Philly;)

I believe with any rule, the inconsistency is what ruins it. Some say yes others say no. My biggest beef is the way in which they inform you, some of the staff are nasty and self-righteous. I am glad as a Diamond Plus to have the luxury of chosing which lounge to go too.

p.s. if parents are in your household and are sharing a cabin - why no for them?

Actually, I have a beef with people who know the rules yet think they are "special" enough to circumvent them. If they can't understand "no" in writing, then they shouldn't feel offended at being told they can't bring their non-D friends and relatives in. I really think it is very inconsiderate to put the concierge in the difficult position of either breaking the rules or offending a passenger.

Status extends ONLY to spouses and minor children. Parents and adult children do not get benefits no matter where they live.

I wrote a letter to RCI voicing my concern about a particular matter (not a complaint per se) and this is part of the letter I got back from the Corporate Guest Relations Advocate:

"We believe listening to our customers is the most effective way to create the best possible cruise experience. All guest feedback is submitted into a database which is regularly published to our operational teams for review. I assure you we do our best to make improvements in the areas where our guests feel they are most needed. Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments."

If I were you I would keep a sharp eye out for a man carrying a Trident following you around and documenting your every move. They are compiling a file on you.:cool: And DON"T EVER pick up that shell phone....you know it's bugged:eek:......:D

I will be cruising in June sharing a cabin with my son. I am Diamond and he is not. I am going on the assumption that he cannot use the Diamond lounge even though he is my cabinmate. My other son who is Diamond and his wife who is not will both be allowed into the lounge just because they are a married couple....is this correct?

I will go along with the rules but this is what I feel is unfair. If you travel with your spouse then that person has the Diamond lounge perk. If you are in the unfortunate position of not having a spouse, you are penalized as your cabinmate cannot use the lounge.

All of us do not have a spouse.

This is why I agree with the OP. I don't think friends in other cabins need to be allowed it but I do think a travelling companion in the same cabin should be ok. Let's say 4 couples cruise together as retiree's. over a number of years they all become diamond. Then, sadly the husband of couple #4 passes away. As they begin to plan their next cruise, the widowed wife is encouraged to continue travelling with the group and wife #1 suggests that her widowed sister might be intersted in sharing #4's cabin. The 8 people go on the cruise, but only 7 are eligible for the lounge. Being polite and mature adults, they of course do not go without the extra person and all miss out on the benefits. Seems very unreasonable to me.

Archived