Cunard regrading cabins again next year

zider

The most fundamental change I see is the eliminaton of the old "A4" grade for the obstructed view staterooms on 8. These are now a lower grade than the sheltered balcony staterooms. At least now one can safely book a sheltered balcony guarantee without fear of ending up with an in-your-face orange lifeboat.

Here is an interesting new twist in the arrangement of the new balcony categories on the QM2.

BA = Balcony - Decks 8,11 - Midships

BB = Sheltered Balcony - Decks 4,5,6 - Midships

BC = Balcony - Decks 8,11,12 - Forward

BD = Sheltered Balcony - Decks 4,5,6 - Forward/Aft

I wonder if this means one could now be upgraded from an upper deck forward BC glass-fronted balcony to a lower deck midships BB sheltered balcony. Personally, I would not mind it, but I could see how others might not consider that to be an upgrade.

Regards,

John.

Here is an interesting new twist in the arrangement of the new balcony categories on the QM2.

I wonder if this means one could now be upgraded from an upper deck forward BC glass-fronted balcony to a lower deck midships BB sheltered balcony. Personally, I would not mind it, but I could see how others might not consider that to be an upgrade.

Regards,

John.

I understand the logic in this, as it makes midships a more important criterion than deck in determining the cabin grade. It appears the price breaks are pretty consistent on all decks, if you look at the dashed green lines (except for the high grade grills suites). There will be two grades of Britannia club cabin, AA and AC. I think there is currently only one Brit Club cabin grade.

The new system does produce some odd situations. Last month, we had 6083, by this system a BD. The cabin next door, 6085, would be two grades higher, instead of just one.

For people who think the glass balcony is more desirable than the sheltered balcony, this is going to seem very odd.

Regards,

John.

Ah, there's the rub! Good point Blue Marble.

It seems to me that the new categories give more flexiblility to Cunard in terms of placing passengers, but passengers need to be even more aware about what category they are booking, especially when booking a guarantee category, or checking the box indicating that they will accept an upgrade (or telling their travel agent that they will accept an upgrade).

Regards,

Salacia

They seem to have got rid of the P4 and P3 categories on all ships and the Q7 on the QV/QE too.

I've always booked these grades as a guarantee so I wonder now if they'll still be offering guarantee fares in the future.

does anyone know when the sites booking sections will reflect this new change? and what happens to the bookings that have already been made for next year eg the new zealand QM2 trip? will those people no get moved around to reflect the new categories?

whilst on the topic of next year, i saw something on facebook the other day in my news feed im 90% sure it was from the "we are cunard" page stating that the full 2013 world voyage details and voyages will be available friday.. yet later that day i checked back to re read and confirm what i had saw and the status was gone? and now i cant find any info on any cunard realises friday? or today as it were... what was that all about? ive just checked the aussie cunard site and dont notice any new info?

Does anybody know why the break between "high" decks and "low" decks occurs where it does?

Deck 7 (which on other lines would be called promenade deck) has no cabins, so it is a natural break between the two groups of cabins. Plus, the high deck cabins have glass-front balconies. The balconies of the low deck cabins are sheltered (in-hull) balconies.

Regards,

John.

It sounds confusing. They're getting rid of the A Deluxe Balcony categories then? I thought the A categories were a bit nicer than the B's because of the glass balcony doors, and it seems it doesn't make sense to then have obstructed view midship cabins, or sheltered B cabins as higher grades than the original A2s, and A3s.

They would be better off just charging less for the A4 obstructed view cabins. I like the glass balconies, so why would I want to be "upgraded" to an in hull balcony? Are we headed for just 2 grades, Queen's Grill and "B's"? :rolleyes:

Traditionally an accommodation up on the superstructure is more desirable and pricier than one within the hull. But in more ways than one QM2 isn't just any ship. The 8-deck balconies may be glass enclosed but the view obstruction from lifeboats greatly diminishes their appeal. At the same time her being an ocean liner means that she will go through some rough weather, thus the poplarity of the sheltered balconies.

Under the old system an obstructed "A4" grade was an upgrade over the sheltered "B" grade. Hardly anybody here agreed.

Under the old system an obstructed "A4" grade was an upgrade over the sheltered "B" grade. Hardly anybody here agreed.
Yes, but under the new grading I could be upgraded from an old A2 (i.e. Deck 11 forward ) to what used to be a fairly low grade sheltered balcony (e.g., Deck 4 midships).

No, thanks. Mark my reservation "no upgrade."

I wonder what this will do to prices. From what I can see, balcony A2-A7 (minus the obstructed view rooms) will all be "BC" category and the A1 staterooms will be "BA" on the QV. I've been looking at World Cruise prices and there is a big difference between A7 and A2. Hopefully, the price will be somewhere halfway!

For what it's worth, some sample UK pricing can be found from the links here.

Thanks, Underwatr. It doesn't look like much difference in the cost of the BA and BC balconies. Cunard.com in the U.S. has nothing available past April 2013 and the U.K. site goes all the way to the end of 2013. Strange!

Thanks, Underwatr. It doesn't look like much difference in the cost of the BA and BC balconies. Cunard.com in the U.S. has nothing available past April 2013 and the U.K. site goes all the way to the end of 2013. Strange!

Scrapnana, I also thought it was strange, but then all evidence points to Cunard not marketing to North American passengers to the same extent that they are marketing European customers, notably the German and UK market which appears to be expanding. This is evidenced in several ways, including less departures from US ports, special offers such as "free" airfare and hotels, parking included at port of embarkation, and children sail for free - all specials for UK passengers, but not North American passengers (at least not that I've seen, but please correct me if I am missing something!). I'm sure it's nothing personal, just business. But it works both ways ;) Regards, S.

I've never seen free airfares. On Cunard's UK website two prices are given for some cruises, one with airfare included and one without. I've never seen free hotels either, just some offers sometimes for NY hotels.

As for "free parking", that is one of the perks for booking early. However as often happens, and as in my case last year, the cruise price was reduced so much as it got to the balance date that it wiped out the "free parking" and "free OBC". I've always had to pay for parking.

Children between 6 months and 2 years travel free as long as they are with two fare-paying adults. Children between 2 years and 17 years are charged 50% as long as they are with two fare-paying adults

As you know, us Brits don't get the perk that you get in the US of being able to cancel without losing our deposit and we also don't get the reduction if the price comes down.

I've never seen free airfares. On Cunard's UK website two prices are given for some cruises, one with airfare included and one without. I've never seen free hotels either, just some offers sometimes for NY hotels.

We've been lucky enough to have a free pre-cruise overnight hotel stay on two occasions, but both times we booked through an agent and not through Cunard so I'm not sure how the offer worked.

J

PARTIAL QUOTE

...As you know, us Brits don't get the perk that you get in the US of being able to cancel without losing our deposit and we also don't get the reduction if the price comes down.

Hi Ray. Yes, and I believe that is due to difference in legislation, not a Cunard policy, or am I mistaken - do other cruise lines allow Brits to cancel without penalty or get price reductions?

BTW, there are also differences in legislation governing airlines on each side of the pond.

Regards,

Salacia

Archived