Pet Peeves

SewMuch

I don't know if I will ever get caught up on this thread, but I'm having a blast trying! I agree with almost everything that has been said so far, except I think tee shirts of the right fabric and cut can be dressy. I have several that I wear to work with pencil skirts or under suits and they are great for the office.

I am so glad someone said this. Have you seen the "am I wearing pants?" flow chart that's been floating around the Internet? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/am-i-wearing-pants_n_858179.html

I have a lot of little pet peeves but I have to mention mixed-season ensembles. Now, as one who gets really cold in air conditioning, i understand sometimes having to throw a cozy sweater on over a sundress or shorts. But....Furry boots with tiny cut-off shorts? Once on the subway I was across from a woman wearing sweatpants and a big parka... And a straw hat. And what exactly is the appropriate time to wear peep-toe BOOTS?? (hint: never!)

Omg too funny I shared the article on my FB. yet so true..

So last night I was out with my wife to celebrate a personal achievment and noticedone of the pet peeves mentioned on here and had to share it with her.

We were dining in what I would call a smart casual restaurant (Fogo De Chao) you can get away with a nice pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt for a male and as long as its well put together you will be ok.

I wore a pair of khaki pants and a solid polo shirt and casual dress shoes. My wife wore a calf length white flowing skirt with a solid fitting wide stapped tank and matching dressy sandals.

The couple that ended up seating at the table next to us was quite intereting. Couldn't tell if there were also celebrating something or they were on a date (1st or 2nd) as they toasted when they were served thier wines. But anyway. She was a fairly attractive women in here late twenties and he the same counterpart. She was dolled up and looked nice and in place with her tightfitting slender cocktail dress (sleek black form fitting) with matching cluth and small heels. He on the other hand was in a fitted t-shirt and expensive cargo shorts with expensive "sneakers" (casual shoes but not vey "dressy".

I had to point the flaw of matching the level of dress with your dining artner out to my wife and glad she agreed on the faux pa. I understand that he probably did look in the mirror and thinks that he looks ok...and he is well dressd as far as matching and correct sizes, however not for the restaurant nor his date. EXPENSIVE DOES NOT MEAN ACCEPTABLE!!!!! My outfit probably cost less than his shoes or his shorts...maybe even his t-shirt. But I think andam in the general opinion of my wife thought I was more appropriately and better looing for the part than my fellow diner in his tshirt shorts and casuals.

He on the other hand was in a fitted t-shirt and expensive cargo shorts with expensive "sneakers" (casual shoes but not very "dressy").

But I think and am in the general opinion and my wife thought I was more appropriately and better looking for the part than my fellow diner in his tshirt shorts and casuals.

You got that right! Smart woman (and you, too). That man would be embarrassing to me.:p "my opinion"~!

I think my biggest pet peeve would be "spandex abuse". Why is it that the very people who shouldn't be wearing brightly colored skin-tight spandex leggings and skimpy tank or tube tops are always the ones who do it the most? Buy a mirror, people!

Did you see Chaka Khan and Fantasia on the American Idol finale? I was embarrassed for both of them. Chaka Khan reportedly has lost 60 lbs. and I'm happy for her for that fact...it does not mean sharing your chub rolls looks any better. Not only did Fantasia look absolutely horrid in her cat suit, she just sang (screamed) horribly.

Fire those stylists! I do not buy into the statement "if you're comfortable wearing it, go for it", there's just too many other choices that will be flattering rather than showing all the wobbly bits. I have those bits myself, never would I feel comfortable enhancing them in a skin tight cat suit. To wear one of those, some the curves need be in the opposite direction of those worn by the above.

On to another pet peeve of mine (from American Idol show). This season there were plenty of those dresses long in back, short in the front. No one looks good in those atrocities. They will go the way of big shoulder pads, low slung jeans with cropped tops, gaucho pants, leg warmers and all the other trendy clothing through the years that will be embarrassing in photos 10 years from now.

I don't gag on matchy matchy, but I roll my eyes a bit.

We try to coordinate, not match. Sometimes I come downstairs ready to leave and see we are wearing the same color, one of us changes clothes.

How about matching T shirts for a group? Years ago for our family reunion, I feared they would have T shirts made for the group. Very relieved when that didn't happen, as I can't stand crew neck T shirts, too close to my throat and shapeless. I go to Disneyland quite frequently and I feel sorry, especially for the guys, when whole groups of people are dressed alike. I've seen some atrocious shirts like tie dyed bright orange and pink together. You see it on cruise ships as well.

I know, people like to be recognized as a part of a group, but why do they need to all look alike? Why not just wear a pin that indicates you are a part of the group? Why give up your style sense and individuality?

We try to coordinate, not match. Sometimes I come downstairs ready to leave and see we are wearing the same color, one of us changes clothes.

How do you coordinate then if wearing the same colour isn't it?

We do wear the same color, especially to parties. By this I mean my husband wears a tie that matches my dress.

I think it looks nice and we usually get compliments. Is my fashion eye amiss there? :o

We do wear the same color, especially to parties. By this I mean my husband wears a tie that matches my dress.

I think it looks nice and we usually get compliments. Is my fashion eye amiss there? :o

I think what they are referring to is the same color top or too matchy...a hint here or there on a man to match his woman or date is all it takes...and goes a long way in looking well put together...

We were dining in what I would call a smart casual restaurant (Fogo De Chao) you can get away with a nice pair of khaki shorts and a polo shirt for a male and as long as its well put together you will be ok. .

I'm sorry but you do not have to dress as fancy a you state for Fogo de Chao. My friends and I always wear jeans and shorts there. We see others doing this as well.

I do however agree that two people going out should match each others level of dress no matter what the perceived dress code is.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry but you do not have to dress as fancy a you state for Fogo de Chao. My friends and I always wear jeans and shorts there. We see others doing this as well.

I do however agree that two people going out should match each others level of dress no matter what the perceived dress code is.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Then I guess my notions for dressing to fit the bill or desire are quite a whack. 50+ PP minimum puts it in at least smart casual for me... guess to some its a drop in th bucket...

My Matchy-Matchy comment was referring more to "his and hers" types of outfits..we've all seen them..kinda like what Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy would wear..he wears a plaid shirt and she wears corresponding plaid shirt..or even on these forums you read about the wife who insists her husband "matches" her..coordinating is a little different in my opinion.your colors compliment each other.

Then I guess my notions for dressing to fit the bill or desire are quite a whack. 50+ PP minimum puts it in at least smart casual for me... guess to some its a drop in th bucket...

Compared to the price I paid at Morimoto, yes a drop in the bucket. I spent $90+ ($160 total after wine pairing and tip) on just myself. People will still wearing jeans.

Probably has already been said, but worth saying again....

Leggings are NOT pants. Leggings are NOT pants. Leggings are NOT!!! Pants!!!!

If your top doesn't come at least 2 inches below your butt, do not wear leggings! Wear real pants!

Oh my gosh..especially the platinum gold ones that look like they were spray painted on..yuck

Probably has already been said, but worth saying again....

Leggings are NOT pants. Leggings are NOT pants. Leggings are NOT!!! Pants!!!!

If your top doesn't come at least 2 inches below your butt, do not wear leggings! Wear real pants!

Compared to the price I paid at Morimoto, yes a drop in the bucket. I spent $90+ ($160 total after wine pairing and tip) on just myself. People will still wearing jeans.

Not in jest but you bring up a point that I will play devil's advocate for...

If you are paying $90+pp and people are still wearing jeans...why is the MDR any different...sure as heck isn't worth $90+pp...why shouldnt I beable to wear jeans? As long as I am not disheveled or apparently wearin my bathing suit...whats the big deal! (DEVIL'S ADVOCATE) FLAME on

Not in jest but you bring up a point that I will play devil's advocate for...

If you are paying $90+pp and people are still wearing jeans...why is the MDR any different...sure as heck isn't worth $90+pp...why shouldnt I beable to wear jeans? As long as I am not disheveled or apparently wearin my bathing suit...whats the big deal! (DEVIL'S ADVOCATE) FLAME on

You can wear jeans in the MDR, at least on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian.

T-shirts that look like they should be in the rag bag.

Girls who insist on applying full makeup at the pool only to have it streak down their faces.

Motorcycle gear in the dining room.

T-shirts that look like they should be in the rag bag.

Girls who insist on applying full makeup at the pool only to have it streak down their faces.

Motorcycle gear in the dining room.

It's not so much a pet peeve of mine, but I find it a bit odd to wear makeup at a pool or beach. A good sunscreen, sunglasses and a visor is what I need when out there.

It's not so much a pet peeve of mine, but I find it a bit odd to wear makeup at a pool or beach. A good sunscreen, sunglasses and a visor is what I need when out there.

Hey girl:)...I have today off for the holiday:D

It is not a peeve of mine either but you have got to know there are

women who will not go anywhere without make up on:eek:...pool

included........full makeup too.....they have no plans to go in the

water or if they do? Not under the water;)......

I don't get it either but you know.....different strokes........

If he has on just a bit of the same color as me, fine. If I come downstairs and he's wearing the same color pants and top I have on...it's back upstairs for one of us.

Hawaiian print matchy matchy is just ridiculous, however I know some people just think it's the cutest thing, especially if it's the whole family. I've even seen couples on a cruise who match every single day, they love it, I just tend to think "you're adults, not toddler identical twins". I think it comes from when I was young, my mother dressed my sister and I alike (we're a year apart) and I hated it back then, I wanted to select my own clothes.

If he has on just a bit of the same color as me, fine. If I come downstairs and he's wearing the same color pants and top I have on...it's back upstairs for one of us.

Hawaiian print matchy matchy is just ridiculous, however I know some people just think it's the cutest thing, especially if it's the whole family. I've even seen couples on a cruise who match every single day, they love it, I just tend to think "you're adults, not toddler identical twins". I think it comes from when I was young, my mother dressed my sister and I alike (we're a year apart) and I hated it back then, I wanted to select my own clothes.

I'm curious... is this too matchy?

touchedup.jpg?t=1338216268

I'm curious... is this too matchy?

I think you look great! This is exactly what I'd do with my husband in the "matching" department :)

Oh I thought of a new pet peeve today... women with no eyebrows. That is just ... strange. :confused:

Not to mention ugly to my eye.

Well, if it were me, I'd put the boys in a different color shirt, maybe one in gray, one in white. But....that's just me, you have a beautiful family.

To describe an example since I don't post pics online, the photo I have above my desk is, husband in a chambray blue shirt, son in a red sweater, I have on a white blouse and our daughter has on a navy blue outfit with a a pattern to it. We coordinate and look like we belong together, yet we're not wearing the same colors. This was for a Christmas card years ago.

Our last formal shot on a ship as a family, I had on a long dark green dress (not sparkly, just more of an evening dress and not a gown), husband had on a dark beige sportscoat, son in a black sportscoat and our daughter was in a short black cocktail dress.

Some of my favorite cruise photos are groups of friends/family where no one matches and there are all sorts of colors going on.

I'm also the type who doesn't think bridesmaids have to look identical. Blend, yes, but unless they all have the same body type, why put young women in unflattering dresses? Perhaps the same color/length, but let them wear a style that looks great on the individual. I watch that say yes to the dress bridesmaids tv show for a chuckle. Mostly butt ugly dresses that no one in their right mind would wear otherwise. We all had those we turned into Halloween costumes the following year, right?

Archived