Pet Peeves

SewMuch

They were at a lake and the boys were not allowed in wearing American-type swimsuits so the boys had to borrow speedos from the families they were visiting. Of course my daughter adopted the local 'topless' custom as well.

Tina

Anything too small....(women or men). This includes but is not limited to speedo's, bikini's and those gawd awful skinny jeans.

For goodness sake it's okay to go up a size.

The majority of my fashion pet peeves are for myself, my biggest one are white shoes on my feet. I don't like them, and don't wear them(and yes that includes athletic shoes)because I have size 11 feet. Maybe it's looking down at my big 'ol feet and seeing white shoes hanging off my skinny ankles just annoys me, and I think my feet look huge(who am I kidding, my ARE huge!). If I need a neutral shoe that goes with everything, I go for a as close to possible skintone color. Here are two more:

Capri pants-I would love them more, if clothing makers realize that one inseam does not fit all when making them<lol>(I'm 5'11" tall and wear a 34" inseam in pants). A 21"inseam(standard capri) or 26"(standard crop pant)inseam on me is all wrong, as they hit my legs at the wrong spots, and it looks as if I'm wearing pants I outgrew years ago. I much prefer an ankle crop a la Mary Tyler Moore on the "Dick Van Dyke" show or Audrey Hepburn. I guess the too short pants phobia grew out of being a fast growing little girl who always needed the hem let out of her pants constantly.

Matchy-matchy outfits-they drive me nuts from life experience. I attended Catholic school from kindergarten through 12th grade(what we call "lifers" :D), and from first grade on, I wore a uniform. This has cured me from ever wanting to as an adult: a)deliberately wear matching outfits with anyone; and b) wearing a group t-shirt of any kind(I cave in for my family for a reunion photo, then it's gone!). Funny how I fell into a profession that requires a uniform(I'm a pastry chef:eek:), but then again, I work for myself, so I wear what I want in the kitchen as my 'uniform'.

I know some ladies don't believe that going to an old school specialty bra boutique(or a department store with a fabulous lingerie section like Nordstrom) is necessary, but the vast majority of women in the US are wearing the wrong size(I think it's somewhere in the 80% range), and it's not a matter of wearing the size that feels best, because many women have no idea their bras fit incorrectly, and think that their clothes fit wrong because of their body type(sometimes, it's the bra!). Getting measured yearly(along with learning how to measure myself)was the best thing I've done for my body(besides exercise), and trying on different companies' bras(because they are all SO not the same!)is key to finding the foundation garment that works best.

Ok that link is in French, which I don't read, and I'm in my phone, which makes it small, but are swim tights as awful and confining as they sound?

Google chrome on windows 7 will translate it to english. Cool place.

Will be a big problem for people who have a disdain for Speedos when the Olympics are on !

That is the only time there "accepted" by American Society... Its the people like me who wear them all time for casual pool and beach use that others dont like..

My fashion pet peeve is muffin top...

I dont understand why people think they look good when their fat is hanging over their pants that are too low. I am not a tiny size 4 so I understand how frustrating it is to have to buy a larger size, but I would rather go up to a size 12 than have muffin top in a size 8 or 10.

At the last couple Olympics, the men (at least for the short distances) mostly wore the "sharkskin" wetsuits and not bikinis;) Though it looks like they might not be allowed in competition anymore?

I have to add my personal opinion that competition is NOT real life - I don't think a figure skating costume is appropriate vacation wear either, unless I'm at an ice show. They're uniforms or costumes for a specific purpose - not day to day clothing. So I don't consider that a true comparison.

Only the American teams started wearing "jammers" which is those sharkskin type suits because Americans think Speedos are "sexist" and "gay". While the other countrys teams wore speedos.

So your saying that a Mens Speedo is a "costume" like the figure skaters?? LOL. Funny when it comes to guys clothing we have to have a "excuse" but women can wear whatever they want??

OK... So im a professional swimmer in VACATION.... LOL.:rolleyes:

Oh thats right.. I cant wear my "costume" on vacation either because its not right...LOL.. TO BAD!:rolleyes:

Actually.. I dont have any "pet peeves" about others. I figured we are all on cruises to have fun and I can care less what others wear or do.. But when the topic of Speedos comes up, I will defend it.. So I guess that is my Pet peeve....

cocobakerchica, I'm right there with you on the shoe thing. I'm a 10 wide and even though I know Minnie Mouse's shoes are typically yellow, that's what I feel like if I have white shoes on :o

I'll agree with DivaDare on the ill fitting shoes. I see women with their toes hanging off the front of the shoe, scraping the ground. Or, their heels hanging off the back of the shoe. For me, if a shoe doesn't fit the first time I try it on, I don't buy it, I'm not forsaking my feet and going through pain to "break in" a pair of shoes.

High heels, no matter what anyone says, are just not comfortable for me. I'll wear them if I don't have to walk far. On a cruise I wear them to get to the dining room, but they're off during dinner, hidden under the table. I see women hobbling along with stillettos and platforms and I just don't know how they can be comfortable at all seeing the difficulty they have walking at all.

This brings me to a major pet peeve...men who state they don't want to dress up in formal clothing when the women they are with are giving so much to look great for them. So what if they have to wear a tie for a few hours? They should check the real measurement of their necks instead of choking on what they bought to "get away with" 5-10-15 years ago. Most women wear bras, some wear Spanx or similar, some wear pantyhose, some wear high heels. Then add in the extra effort with makeup, hair, accessories, etc...

I'm happy that my husband will make the effort to look good for me, as I do for him. Not only on formal nights on a cruise, any time we are going anywhere he asks what I'm wearing, so he can dress to compliment (I did not say match) me.

Hoya, do you think this is the same poster who posted a giant thread about wearing speedos a couple of months ago and then went onto call atention to himself throughout the thread?

Mabie so...... Could be me... :rolleyes:

Only the American teams started wearing "jammers" which is those sharkskin type suits because Americans think Speedos are "sexist" and "gay"..

They wore the lzrs to break 100s of records. Had nothing to do with any stupid beliefs about bikinis:rolleyes: ("sexist", "gay"? Really?) And no, the Americans were NOT the only ones wearing them.....Most countries had the Speedo or another version of the lzr:rolleyes: Which style they wore depended on the event and their personal swimming style & choice, I'm sure......

Only the American teams started wearing "jammers" which is those sharkskin type suits because Americans think Speedos are "sexist" and "gay". While the other countrys teams wore speedos..

I was under the impression it was because these suits offer less resistance in water than bare skin, i.e., it gives the wearer a competitive advantage.

I dont understand why people think they look good when their fat is hanging over their pants that are too low. I am not a tiny size 4 so I understand how frustrating it is to have to buy a larger size, but I would rather go up to a size 12 than have muffin top in a size 8 or 10.

Wearers of those are known to be in a river in Africa......

I'm beginning to believe that low rise jeans are the ladies' equivalent of men refusing to replace their pants that still button under their beer bellies:eek:. Yeah the pants/belt still fits, but not the way they're supposed to.

While I agree that many are swimming in Cleopatra's river when it comes to sizing, it's also the refusal to admit that low rise jeans are NOT flattering on everyone! Low rise jeans do not work because they visually cut the leg line below the waist and lengthen the torso, sometimes making a person's proportions way off and they can look shorter because their legs look short(like guys who wear long baggy below the knee shorts and baggy t-shirts...their legs look 2 feet long), along with the waistline of the jeans sitting below the actual waist and hovering around the top of the hips(or hip bones). Add to it all the sanding and distressing, people have muffin tops, wide thighs and can look like they either have too much(or not enough) "junk in the trunk". A mid rise is my happy medium, as well as having a long enough inseam.

A similar problem arises with tapered or skinny jeans. I have full thighs and hips/booty(definitely a lot of junk in my trunk,<lol>) with a narrow waist, and wearing a pair of too skinny jeans(too narrow a leg opening), jeggings or tapered jeans causes the "ice cream cone" effect on my legs....wide up top narrowing down to the ankle; not very flattering at all. When I find the perfect straight leg(non tapered) and boot cut jean(uniform dark wash or black, no distressing, large-ish back pockets that has a mid rise and are under $50, I am very happy. I am definitely a trend proof jean shopper:cool:

I was under the impression it was because these suits offer less resistance in water than bare skin, i.e., it gives the wearer a competitive advantage.

You are probably right about the "resistance" thing. It covers more skin over a larger area and makes it sleeker expecially covering body hair which also could cause resistance but in my book your talking .00001 seconds differance.

I still think the newer suits are the results of complaints from the athletes that they dont want to wear traditional speedos because of the self concious and embarrasment and dont want to be seen that way in front of thousands of people. Most athletes are under age 25.. The group that wants more skin coverage then somebody allot older.

You are probably right about the "resistance" thing. It covers more skin over a larger area and makes it sleeker expecially covering body hair which also could cause resistance but in my book your talking .00001 seconds differance.

I still think the newer suits are the results of complaints from the athletes that they dont want to wear traditional speedos because of the self concious and embarrasment and dont want to be seen that way in front of thousands of people. Most athletes are under age 25.. The group that wants more skin coverage then somebody allot older.

I swam competitively in high school. It's not about leg hair, ALL that hair gets shaved off. It's about smoothing and streamlining the legs for less water resistance.

That .00001 of a second can be the difference between gold and silver.

In HIGH SCHOOL we did drag training (no shave all season. Girls too) and then shaved all hair off that wasn't covered by a cap at a shave party the night before regionals or state. ALL hair. We shaved each others backs. Even the girls, to get that .0001 second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you spend your whole life training to get to the Olympics, I really don't think a swimmer would care what they wore once they got there. I think the only choice to be made, would be what gives them a competitive advantage, not what may or may not make them look "gay". Do you really think that's what Michael Phelps was thinking about while racking up the gold medals last time? That's a real stretch.

For all of you that find the speedo distasteful...wait until you see people wearing the "mankini"! You'll wish people went back to the speedo! I'm on my iPad, or I would provide a pic. Yes, people are beginning to wear these in some weird places, not just the beach or pool. Personally, I feel we should all just "live and let live" when it comes to others' fashion choices.

I think people way overreact to Speedos. I don't mind them, especially if the man wearing one is fit.

Now, back to pet peeves...I wouldn't say this is a pet peeve, but more like something I don't understand...maxi dresses. I know they are incredibly popular, and they look comfortable, but aren't they hot? I saw lots of women wearing these in port, but I would have been too hot. I prefer to wear a short dress or shorts in port to keep cool. Also, it was 90+ degrees in Chicago yesterday, and I went to the Cubs game with a group of friends. One gal was in a maxi; the rest in shorts. The poor girl in the maxi was really hot while the rest of us were totally comfortable.

but more like something I don't understand...maxi dresses. I know they are incredibly popular, and they look comfortable, but aren't they hot?

This is something that has reared its head after lying low for around 40 or more years. As for heat, do you still see young women wearing those shearling fleece boots (Uggs or whatever) in summer?

Chi, they are very comfortable...I wear them all the time here in S.Florida and all the time when I go to South America..very cool and comfortable. A lot of it depends on the material they are made with also in terms of how hot it is. I like them because they are versatile. I especially love the Pucci ones.

I think people way overreact to Speedos. I don't mind them, especially if the man wearing one is fit.

Now, back to pet peeves...I wouldn't say this is a pet peeve, but more like something I don't understand...maxi dresses. I know they are incredibly popular, and they look comfortable, but aren't they hot? I saw lots of women wearing these in port, but I would have been too hot. I prefer to wear a short dress or shorts in port to keep cool. Also, it was 90+ degrees in Chicago yesterday, and I went to the Cubs game with a group of friends. One gal was in a maxi; the rest in shorts. The poor girl in the maxi was really hot while the rest of us were totally comfortable.

This is something that has reared its head after lying low for around 40 or more years. As for heat, do you still see young women wearing those shearling fleece boots (Uggs or whatever) in summer?

No Uggs, but I'm seeing A LOT of undressed and cowboy boots. In Chicago. I guess I'm too old (at 35) to get it lol.

Archived