Pet Peeves

SewMuch

I agree with a lot of what you say--each one of us needs to wear what we are comfortable with and looks good for our figure (this part is not always so easy), not some mythical woman that the fashion industry apparently designs for, who seems to be about 17, 5'11" and 110 lbs.

But, I kind of like the chevron print style you showed in the pic--and I think it would be very slimming in a swim suit. To each her own! Vive la Difference!

I guess i was a child of the 90s when this pattern was at its peak and I just can't stand it now. In fact, I can't stand most things that were popular in the 90s. I think the 90s had the worst fashion of any decade. But then again, I had to live it, so. lol.

Feel lucky you can wear a wrap dress. Bought one from ON one time and then saw pics of me in it.......OMG! Flattering to all body types my big 'ol behind and small tas. I can't keep a wrap dress on my top, they almost always have that cross over thing on top and I just don't have the top to pull it off. Cami or not, at least you can fill it out, lol.

Wrap dresses are tricky, even when they're the correct size. The cross almost always falls too low for most women to be comfortable.

I used to pin mine closed, and even brought a brooch to assist. That didn't help as much as I thought it would. Next experiment, "Fashion tape".

One I have is beautiful but has to be tied JUST right. If I tie it too tight, it becomes "Look at this fabric emphasizing my fat tummy!!!!" It took me a few wearings to realize that if I am not happy with the way it's draping, I should loosen it instead of tighten.

Wrap dresses are tricky, even when they're the correct size. The cross almost always falls too low for most women to be comfortable.

I used to pin mine closed, and even brought a brooch to assist. That didn't help as much as I thought it would. Next experiment, "Fashion tape".

One I have is beautiful but has to be tied JUST right. If I tie it too tight, it becomes "Look at this fabric emphasizing my fat tummy!!!!" It took me a few wearings to realize that if I am not happy with the way it's draping, I should loosen it instead of tighten.

I just can't wear wrap dresses either, for all of the above. And, I don't agree that they look good on most women; I actually think they make many of us look 'dumpy' around the waist, probably because they don't fit right. On me, they just look frumpy and messy.

I hate fiddling with the wrap part trying to get it right and then get it to stay right. I know they are 'classics' but not all classic styles work either!

I think the 90s had the worst fashion of any decade. But then again, I had to live it, so. lol.

I was in my tweens/teens during the 90s and chose my own clothes. I only cringe at the platform shoes I wore... aaarggh.

Had something like these in different shades of purple:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv_kSnfE_-xyfruVksKuFMO4PeHXzwFwV9MzfRmq1qcQS_8FjzFQ

Had a pair just like these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-ft8-hIW03OTKI8KR0PKKW_21f73LAdTbfpLPjsKY8USHM2LUXg

And in black, these could be my graduation shoes... :o

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbH0bcgfoP4BkxCF_J8LSjlTRg4eABjnHNDsSMXxx4cCChW0zyGA

It didn't say where it was taken. I thought at first it was a cruise and they were all standing on deck at the railing, but I think it might be a food stand of some sort??? Still wanting to wash my eyeballs.

I was in my tweens/teens during the 90s and chose my own clothes. I only cringe at the platform shoes I wore... aaarggh.

Had something like these in different shades of purple:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv_kSnfE_-xyfruVksKuFMO4PeHXzwFwV9MzfRmq1qcQS_8FjzFQ

Had a pair just like these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-ft8-hIW03OTKI8KR0PKKW_21f73LAdTbfpLPjsKY8USHM2LUXg

And in black, these could be my graduation shoes... :o

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbH0bcgfoP4BkxCF_J8LSjlTRg4eABjnHNDsSMXxx4cCChW0zyGA

Yea, I still don't like a chunky heel to this day.

I guess the 90s weren't very friendly to anyone plus size. Maybe that's why I don't like the fashion. Short baby doll tops, Huge flower prints, bibs, Button all the way up/straight lined jumper dresses, midriff tops. Not so good on overly chubby teenage girl. :)

I'll admit that I'm a little obsessive about nail care... but please don't wear nail polish unless it is impeccable. I hate seeing chipped, worn, grown-out, picked-at polish, especially on toenails! I love nail polish, even the unconventional colors, and change mine several times a week, but I'd rather go bare than ratty.

My biggest pet peeve is with certain clothing manufacturers. I hate it when I buy a white shirt and the black tag is visible through it. To make it worse the tag is sewn into the seam so it's almost impossible to cut out.

I agree and add that one of my peeves is seeing labels on scarves. Before I wear a scarf, I always take the label off.

please don't wear nail polish unless it is impeccable.

I agree and add that one of my peeves is seeing labels on scarves. Before I wear a scarf, I always take the label off.

LOL...

Let's have a club, I can't stand either. Chipped polish makes me crazy and I take my scarf labels off IMMEDIATELY, which horrifies the ladies at the scarf counter ; -)

Well, I take ALL my labels off ,they irritate my skin so. But the scarves just look ugly with labels on them!

Ditto on the nail polish..and why DO people paint only their big toe?? I don't get that one either..

LOL...

Let's have a club, I can't stand either. Chipped polish makes me crazy and I take my scarf labels off IMMEDIATELY, which horrifies the ladies at the scarf counter ; -)

Well, I take ALL my labels off ,they irritate my skin so. But the scarves just look ugly with labels on them!

Now that photo is just plain disgusting, period!

Women need to realize just because it looks good on someone else doesn't mean it will look good on you..though I can't imagine that looking good on anyone.

Just saw this on FB

Here is something really depressing about sizes...when I bought my wedding dress recently, I am a size 10..a true size 10..and I had to buy a size 20!! I was so depressed but I kept proudly telling everyone "Yes, but it was a CHINESE size 20"

My Maid of Honor is more like a size 7-8..and we went with a vintage couture "cupcake" dress from the 1950's..and a size 8 back then was actually a size 2 in "modern day" sizes!

And they wonder why women have self esteem issues!:eek:

I agree with a lot of what you say--each one of us needs to wear what we are comfortable with and looks good for our figure (this part is not always so easy), not some mythical woman that the fashion industry apparently designs for, who seems to be about 17, 5'11" and 110 lbs.

But, I kind of like the chevron print style you showed in the pic--and I think it would be very slimming in a swim suit. To each her own! Vive la Difference!

I can't imagine that looking good on anyone.

Gee, what didn't ya like? The hip wrap shorts? The tramp tatt? The vertical smile? The cunning horizontal stripes? The pidgeon toed, knock knee'd posture?

Ya gotta narrow it down on this one....

I am a size 10..a true size 10..and I had to buy a size 20!! I was so depressed but I kept proudly telling everyone "Yes, but it was a CHINESE size 20"

and a size 8 back then was actually a size 2 in "modern day" sizes!

Did you know Marilyn Monroe was a 14? It's so unfair!

About that wedding dress... Ordering a few sizes larger is the norm but that sounds like a really extreme difference... Maybe find another shop that carries the same line (if not the same style, often styles are only sold to one shop in a geographic area) and go try on dresses, find one a similar cut to yours from that company and see what size THEY would put you in... Did bridals for a LONG time and I would be suspicious of anything over a 14 for a 10... sizes can be changed before the dress ships but alterations cost a TON...

My biggest pet peeve is with certain clothing manufacturers. I hate it when I buy a white shirt and the black tag is visible through it.

JC Penney lost a sale the other day for this very reason. I was all set to buy a cute basic white ruffled collar top from them; it was a sensible but stylish "go with everything" choice for my cruise. Then I turned it around on the hanger and saw "St Johns Bay" in reverse showing through on the back. Good grief! It doesn't take a rocket scientist! Maybe that would work for a gal with long hair hanging midway down her back...but not for me!

Gee, what didn't ya like? The hip wrap shorts? The tramp tatt? The vertical smile? The cunning horizontal stripes? The pidgeon toed, knock knee'd posture?

Ya gotta narrow it down on this one....

Did you know Marilyn Monroe was a 14? It's so unfair!

About that wedding dress... Ordering a few sizes larger is the norm but that sounds like a really extreme difference... Maybe find another shop that carries the same line (if not the same style, often styles are only sold to one shop in a geographic area) and go try on dresses, find one a similar cut to yours from that company and see what size THEY would put you in... Did bridals for a LONG time and I would be suspicious of anything over a 14 for a 10... sizes can be changed before the dress ships but alterations cost a TON...

Marilyn might have worn a 14 in the sizing of her day, but I bet it would be more like an 8 in today's deflated vanity sizing. No, she was not a waif, but she was not all that big either. She had a very womanly, curvy, but certainly not heavy, body.

For example, as a 105 pound teenager I wore a size 9/10 back around 1960. As a much heavier (135ish) 66 year old, gosh, I wear a size 8--sometimes even a six. Uh, yeah. Sizes (the numbers on the tags) are smaller, that's all. A size 8 nowdays is unfortunately probably about the same as a 12 then.

And did you see Biggest Loser tonight? It was make-over night, and everyone looked fabulous. They said that Kim, who weighs around 170, was wearing a size 6. She looked wonderful, but that size six is not the size six of years ago. It's hard, but we need to (try) to ignore those darn sizes and wear what fits!

This from a woman (me!) who refuses to buy jeans over a size 8--and yes, I know I'm fooling myself.

So don't feel bad with the wedding dress--I have heard before that their sizing is much different from what we are used to. But, having to go to a size 20 is ridiculous. It's not you, it's the industry. You'd think that brides of all people would need vanity sizing.

Middle aged women who look like they are dressed for a high school prom.

Clothes that are too tight.

Clingy clothes on overweight women.

Men wearing pants that are so low that you can see their underwear.

Clothing that is so worn I wouldn't even donate it to Goodwill.

Marilyn might have worn a 14 in the sizing of her day, but I bet it would be more like an 8 in today's deflated vanity sizing. No, she was not a waif, but she was not all that big either. She had a very womanly, curvy, but certainly not heavy, body.

It's hard, but we need to (try) to ignore those darn sizes and wear what fits!

It is a numbers game. At 5' 1" and @ 115 to 120 lbs I wear anything from a 2 to a 6.

When I was bigger I wore between a 18 and a 22.

And Marilyn was estimated to be a size six by today's sizes... so you are correct, the numbers were just bigger then, not the bodies!

It's hard, but we need to (try) to ignore those darn sizes and wear what fits!

This from a woman (me!) who refuses to buy jeans over a size 8--and yes, I know I'm fooling myself.

Hear hear! I went to an Esprit store because they had a sale and I wanted to buy new jeans. I've worn jeans size 29 for years. I bought three pairs, sizes 29, 28 and 27 :eek: -from the same bloody shop!! There was a lot of confused trying on that day... :eek:

I tried on 9 wedding dresses from sizes anywhere from a 10, 12, all the way up to that Chinese 20 and the Chinese 20 is the dress I ended up liking the most! So if a woman is a true size 20, then I feel really bad for her. I looked at that section of wedding dresses for the fun of it to see if there was something that could be taken in a few sizes and those dresses seemed to be more true to their sizes, although many more yards of fabric!

For example, as a 105 pound teenager I wore a size 9/10 back around 1960. As a much heavier (135ish) 66 year old, gosh, I wear a size 8--sometimes even a six. Uh, yeah. Sizes (the numbers on the tags) are smaller, that's all. A size 8 nowdays is unfortunately probably about the same as a 12 then.

And did you see Biggest Loser tonight? It was make-over night, and everyone looked fabulous. They said that Kim, who weighs around 170, was wearing a size 6. She looked wonderful, but that size six is not the size six of years ago. It's hard, but we need to (try) to ignore those darn sizes and wear what fits!

So don't feel bad with the wedding dress--I have heard before that their sizing is much different from what we are used to. But, having to go to a size 20 is ridiculous. It's not you, it's the industry. You'd think that brides of all people would need vanity sizing.

Hear hear! I went to an Esprit store because they had a sale and I wanted to buy new jeans. I've worn jeans size 29 for years. I bought three pairs, sizes 29, 28 and 27 :eek: -from the same bloody shop!! There was a lot of confused trying on that day... :eek:

I know what you mean! But, phsychologically, being able to wear those 27's, doesn't it make you feel good? Even if you know those jeans were all the same size?

Someone on here in the fashion industry (Jane 212?) explained how the fit of a certain garment can vary according to where they were in the stack of fabric being cut out. For instance, if a stack of fabric for 50 pairs of jeans is cut by machine, the ones on the bottom will be cut bigger than the ones on top because the weight of the fabric and pressure of the cutting machine spreads the bottom layers out.

Maybe that's some explanation as to why the exact same jeans, same size on the label, same store, fit differently.

Archived