Pet Peeves

SewMuch

Another two pet peeves not addressed here.

1. Blowing your nose at the table.

2. Picking or flossing your teeth at the table.

These two are ones that would have me request another table. This happened to my duaghter and me on our cruise to Alaska. The old, and I am not young, man at our table starting picking and flossing at our table the first night. We just requested another table and joined the most fantastic groupe for the rest of cruise.

Judee

I've never seen anyone floss at the table, but it never falls when I am out that while I am chewing someone at another table blows their nose. What is that about? Does the end of a meal signify the need to blow your nose? I mean really. Can't you excuse yourself and do it in the restroom? N A S T Y.

If I can smell their cologne five minutes after they've left the room, they are wearing too much. In fact if I can smell it without leaning into them, they are wearing too much.

I thought about you last night b/c one of my friends came to visit and he had on SO MUCH cologne. I was choking the whole night. (mind you, he just came over to chill and talk so idk why he felt the need to put on cologne anyways) And now that he's gone I can still smell it in my room...I was sitting there thinking "this is ridiculous" lol

Two peeves:

#1 Manufacturers, please stop making shirts that look like they were mis-printed. I took my Eeyore shirt back because it looked like the fabric folded and there were white spots in the printing.

#2 Leggings are not pants. Leggings are not pants. Leggings are NOT pants! If you are going to wear leggings, please wear a shirt long enough to cover your hindquarters! Please!

I don't like navy and black worn together. The exception would be an article of clothing with a pattern or stripes containing those colors but black pants and a navy top aren't a good look imo.

I also hate seeing adult women wearing a towel around their bathing suit like its a cover up outside any pool or beach area.

Oh yeah, jammie bottoms and slippers out and about.. I have had young girls come in to apply for a job in their jammies:eek:

And you are right, leggings are not pants repeat again:D

Kris

We had a young woman show up for a meeting in her pajamas a while back. Granted it was on a Sunday morning, but really? Hair not done (edit, her hair had been slept on and not brushed), black leftover mascara smeared under her eyes, slippers. The weird part was, I don't think she felt out of place at all, I don't think she had a clue. The rest of us were dressed appropriately, the store opened before the meeting ended and she actually was going to help a customer looking that way! The manager pulled her aside and asked her to leave.

This one will get me into trouble since they are in style right now, but I just keep thinking of it. I see them posted here on CC and they are in the group of dresses I just can't bring myself to comment that I think the dress is pretty. Not when all the other comments are so encouraging. But since this is a pet peeve thread and not a favorites, or opinions on a dress thread here I go.

Uneven hems. Can't stand them. Whether it is a handkerchief hem or the back is long and the front is short, or even one side at an angle. I don't know why, they just seem so trendy and I rarely care for trendy. To me trendy looks cheap. I always think the person will be so sorry they wore that in a photo 10 years from now.

We all have our own sense of style and eye for what pleases us. A dress long in the back and short in the front, reminds me of a mullet haircut. When I was cutting hair, way back in the early 80's when mullets started coming around, we called it "make up your mind" haircut. Actually, it wasn't quite that nice ;)

I agree about the long back, short front, but for some reason I am always drawn to handkerchief hems. I like the way they look and feel. One side at an angle.... not so sure.

Guys who think wearing a tie with their shirt makes them formal. Instead, they look like the produce manager at the local grocery store. I would even rather see no tie and a sports coat. And then there's the black shirts with white ties, I hate that combo with a passion.

I work in a busy mall I seen the good the bad the ugly and the stores that will sell it to you. My point is you can look fabulous in what you wear if you take the time make the effort in any budget. I just hope I wasn't to snarky, sometimes it comes out that way.please don't be offended with my post.

#1 MEN:Please pull your pants up, its not a good look no one wants to see your nasty boxers and its been a fad since 1993- how about this trend- pants that fit you. Or if you run you'll fall flat on your face.

#2 Women: you know if you are well endowed give the "girls" the support they need to look fabulous, braless is not a good look in any outfit, invest in a strapless bra. Say no to thin spaghetti straps

#3 wearing tank tops with bras please don't be color blind with your bras, at least try to match closely as possible.

#4 Please give the strippers back their clothes- enough said

#5 leggings/spandex is for dance class or gym. -enough said

#6 crack kills- thongs trust me I can go blind what i see at my job.

#7 If you know you are a certain size and get it 2 sizes too small. You are doing a dis-service to your body, they have fashions in your size to make you look fabulous.

#8 pajamas are for bed time-enough said

I fully understand wear what you want, I'm the first one to wear a t-shirt jeans put my hair in a ponytail and out the door to my errands. I do however polish up like a shiny penny when I need too.:D

Wow, as a first-time cruiser and someone who enjoys clothes, this thread is a real eye-opener.

Re: white shoes -- I was planning to wear some strappy white low-heeled sandals -- they are labeled as "fashion sandals" in the store ads and I don't think they look too old-ladyish. Will this be a fashion no-no?

Also, do women still wear long "maxi" dresses on cruises? I'm not talking a dressy gown for formal night, I'm talking a cotton, floral spagetti-strap dress. I'm not necesarily planning on taking it, but I do own one.

I know that a lot of people look down on denim jean shorts these days, too. "Jorts" are considered lower class and tacky. But to me, they make the best sense on a Caribbean hike through the jungles. With a cute T-shirt (oh-no, am I commiting another fashion foible?) White or khaki shorts would get dirty, and no sense getting a nice top all sweaty. Thoughts?

On the subject of excursions, especially those including hiking or climbing, do most people wear the trendy Sperry topsiders, or do they wear regular athletic shoes?

Oh, and my husband wants to know -- for men, are mostly white athletic shoes a no-no with khaki shorts? He maintains that only brown casual shoes (sandals or topsiders) are OK with khaki shorts.

We are cruising on Norwegian -- free style cruising affords us the freedom of not having to dress up too much at night. I am going with day dresses and skirts for the most part in the PM. I am having fun selecting my cruise clothes so far,...just don't want to go too far off the mark.

I also hate seeing adult women wearing a towel around their bathing suit like its a cover up outside any pool or beach area.

Uh oh... this is me running 1 deck down from the pool deck to use my own bathroom. Oops. Haha.

Wow, as a first-time cruiser and someone who enjoys clothes, this thread is a real eye-opener.

Don't worry yourself... most of us won't be sober enough to razz you for your cruise fashions. Let's be honest people.

Re: white shoes -- I was planning to wear some strappy white low-heeled sandals -- they are labeled as "fashion sandals" in the store ads and I don't think they look too old-ladyish. Will this be a fashion no-no?

I like white shoes in the summer or at a tropical destination but my opinion is not always shared. I remedy this by not caring when other ladies give my white sandals the stink eye.

Also, do women still wear long "maxi" dresses on cruises? I'm not talking a dressy gown for formal night, I'm talking a cotton, floral spagetti-strap dress. I'm not necesarily planning on taking it, but I do own one.

Love a cotton maxi for casual nights.

I know that a lot of people look down on denim jean shorts these days, too. "Jorts" are considered lower class and tacky. But to me, they make the best sense on a Caribbean hike through the jungles. With a cute T-shirt (oh-no, am I commiting another fashion foible?) White or khaki shorts would get dirty, and no sense getting a nice top all sweaty. Thoughts?

My white trash husband pretty much only wears jean shorts. I don't love them but they make him comfortable and happy so I accept them.

On the subject of excursions, especially those including hiking or climbing, do most people wear the trendy Sperry topsiders, or do they wear regular athletic shoes?

Oh, and my husband wants to know -- for men, are mostly white athletic shoes a no-no with khaki shorts? He maintains that only brown casual shoes (sandals or topsiders) are OK with khaki shorts.

Again my oh so stylish hubby only wears sneaks or steel toe Timbs. I think certain sneaks can look cool with khaki cargos and a polo. A little college-esq but hey... you're on vacation.

I wouldn't say they're a fashion no-no per se. I just personally don't like them but by all means wear them! I never look down upon or talk about people's fashion choices b/c after all, it's what makes them unique.

yup! I'm actually trying on mine now to see if they still fit

Jeans shorts will NEVER go out of style in my opinion..if you have em, wear em. I like to get mine from thrift stores b/c I love the old school high-waisted look

I'd say athletic shoes...the laces make them more sturdy and dependable. I can't even count the amount of times my feet slipped out of my Sperry's

my dad still wears sneakers with his shorts, so I say go for it lol

We are cruising on Norwegian -- free style cruising affords us the freedom of not having to dress up too much at night. I am going with day dresses and skirts for the most part in the PM. I am having fun selecting my cruise clothes so far,...just don't want to go too far off the mark.

:)

enjoy your first cruise.

I sure hope so! They look great and I didn't get one last summer :mad:

I will only scowl at you if you're wearing sneakers with a cocktail dress. Promise ;)

One of my pet peeves is on Formal nights you have people wanting to come to dinner in the MDR in their swimsuits. Yes I have personally seen this and the maitred let them sit down and eat!!!!!

With that being said I have also seen them being turned away.

We were on a 10 day cruise a couple of years ago and there was a man there that wore the same shirt and pants the entire cruise. Every other day or so he would go in the pool with these clothes on. When he was done swimming he would use the shower at the pool and would use a bar of soap on the clothes as if he was showering. :eek:

He braged the entire time about how he didn't have any luggage for a 10 day cruise, only a backpack with his toiletries.

I realize this is their vacation so to each his own and I hope they enjoy themselves.

Angelndszc, may I say THANK YOU for your service to our country.

Wjak4, yes they wear Maxi dresses on the ships. In fact I wore a couple different ones on Casual nights on our last cruise.

They can be dressier then some of the other things you see on casual night. Enjoy your cruise.

Mine is jean skirts, because they're universally unflattering. Short, long, whatever- they make even the cutest butts into flat mom butts. After I saw my Salsa instructor, whose butt still makes my eyes turn green with envy, in one, I tossed mine.

Any guy wearing a speedo and especially someone with a 40+ waist or beer belly. I wouldn't say anything to another person but would feel sorry for the person since he doesn't know how bad it looks. Maybe from this board people will recognize things they should consider changing without confronting them directly.

Judee

Wjak4 -

Remember this thread is about opinions and yours are just as valid as anyone else's. Onboard you will see a wide variety of choices.

You enjoy clothes + you are having fun selecting your cruise clothes = You have personal style and you and you husband are going to look great!

Don't worry yourself... most of us won't be sober enough to razz you for your cruise fashions. Let's be honest people.

Haha! Honestly, I will likely not be sober enough to care what other people are thinking!

You people are a hoot -- really enjoying this thread. It is both practical and entertaining!

Archived