Royal Caribbean Price Guarantee

Is Royal Caribbean honouring price drops for Australian passengers?

I understand that in the USA passengers can book a cruise with RCI and if the price drops before final payment is due, then they pay the lower fare. Does anyone know if this is also the case for us here in Australia?

Don't know the answer to your question - but I cannot see for the life of me how this could work in the US.

Scenario - cruiseline is not selling enough cabins, ship is only half full - so drops price by (say) $1000 . They then have to refund $1000 for every booking that has been made (half a shipload) ????

Barry

Sparky74,

Do not know if you would receive the price drop if booked through an Ozzie TA. You will receive it if you would have booked as an Ozzie through and American TA.

This does not automatically happen, you would have to monitor yourself when a pricedrop occurs, then inform your TA, who then does the adjustment.

Another thing to watch is if the price drop/promotion is for new bookings only. In that case you can not receive the price drop, but you could try to get OBC.

Bazzaw, the lines would not refund any monies, because it would be before final payment, so only deposits have been paid. Also you can cancel before final payment and still receive back your deposit.

Therefore what happens is that the TA cancels and re-bookes at the same time to take advantage of the promotion.

As Ozzies, Kiwis and also Pax from the UK, you will have to check with the overseas TA which cruiselines will allow non resident bookings. My TA has a button for overseas visitors where you can check (it changes from time to time).

On my last check Carnival, Celebrity, Chrystal and Norwegian will allow non resident bookings. MSC and P & O used to, but not anymore.

Costa, Cunard, Hal, Oceania, Princess, RCI and Starclippers will not allow these bookings.

My Australian agent will do price drops as long as Royal Caribbean Australia has dropped the price. I tried to get them to drop the price of our Feb cruise as other agents had it cheaper than what we paid but because RCI Aust were still quoting the price we paid they wouldn't change it. Hope that makes sense :).

I forgot to mention that on my Mariner cruise back on Oct 2010 I got a price drop after calling Royal Caribbean Aust as my cruise was booked through them :D.

Is Royal Caribbean honouring price drops for Australian passengers?

I understand that in the USA passengers can book a cruise with RCI and if the price drops before final payment is due, then they pay the lower fare. Does anyone know if this is also the case for us here in Australia?

Hi ,

we just got off the Radiance and the crown and anchor future cruise person said it was going to be introduced....i cant remember when though......probally 2 many xxx golds.

Col:)

I am not sure what happens with Aus T/A but my US T/A lowered our price when it dropped but as said above you must monitor it and request it as it does not automatically happen. I got $600 off my January 2013 cruise. :D

I found this on the Australian Royal Caribbean website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Best+Price+Guarantee&faqId=4201&faqSubjectId=389&faqType=faq

When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation was made, we will honour that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference...

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Programme will only be available for up to 48 hours after the reservation was made.

I found this on the Australian Royal Caribbean website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Best+Price+Guarantee&faqId=4201&faqSubjectId=389&faqType=faq

When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation was made, we will honour that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference...

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Programme will only be available for up to 48 hours after the reservation was made.

AAAH!! Now that is more understandable to me.

Barry

That's also the same as the US. Note that there they're giving you an extra 10%, which is different from just getting a price match.

Yes - but they are saying ONLY within 48 hours of booking!! People here seem to say to me that they will lower the price anytime before final payment?? There is a big difference between cancelling a booking and rebooking at the new price (before final payment) - and just getting the lower price on the original booking. Which is it?? I cannot understand how they would or could do the latter.

Barry

Yes - but they are saying ONLY within 48 hours of booking!! People here seem to say to me that they will lower the price anytime before final payment?? There is a big difference between cancelling a booking and rebooking at the new price (before final payment) - and just getting the lower price on the original booking. Which is it?? I cannot understand how they would or could do the latter.

Barry

Barry it depends on who you book with as to what the rules are. A few Aus T/As I have booked with will not make any changes to a booking (even an upgrade for more $) without some sort of charge. I have heard of some AUS T/A adjusting the price on RCI if the price drops through RCI AUS.

I use an US T/A and at any time prior to my final payment that I notice a price drop either on their site or the RCI US site I can request that they meet it. That is the other advantage - I can get a full refund right up until the final payment if I change my mind or have something go wrong. So my T/A then just rebooks me into the same cabin for the cheaper price and instead of transferring the refund to me she transfers it to my new booking. I have done this once on my Voyager cruise and saved $600.

Yes - but they are saying ONLY within 48 hours of booking!!

That's because they're two different things.

The 10% bonus applies within 48 hours. That is the same as in the US.

People here seem to say to me that they will lower the price anytime before final payment??

And if you're outside 48 hours but pre-final payment that is possible for some fares - but you don't get the 10% bonus.

Simply:

Booking + 48 hours: OBC refund of difference + 10%

From then until final payment: reduce fare to new price (if eligible)

After final payment: Price is locked in - normal cancellation conditions.

TAs add another layer as they may charge amendment fees for example, or just be less willing to as they lose commission. This is over and above the RCL costs as you are then paying for the agent as well.

On our recent Carnival cruises the prices went down.They have a site which shows all the current prices and if you find your category has dropped you can apply online and the difference is given in OBC.You can do this at any time no matter how long after you have booked.Twice the prices went down on our cruises and twice we received the difference as OBC.

• 9 months later...

Hello!

Sorry to drag up an old thread but thought I should rather than make a new one.

I was on Radiance last month (December 2012) and booked my next cruise on board for December 2013.

For no particular reason, I was browsing RC website and notice quite a significant price drop ($700) for the same cruise and cabin category.

It doesn't appear to be part of any sale.

I am going to ring RC Australia tomorrow to ask, but what are my chances? There seemed to be mixed opinions in this thread as to whether or not they will amend the price.

Of course the option to cancel and rebook is there, but that's a bit annoying and will lose my OBC for booking on board (though of course if it comes to that or saving $700 I know what I will choose!)

As I said, will be giving them a call tomorrow morning, but thought I would post here hoping someone will see it and ask :)

Don't know the answer to your question - but I cannot see for the life of me how this could work in the US.

Scenario - cruiseline is not selling enough cabins, ship is only half full - so drops price by (say) $1000 . They then have to refund $1000 for every booking that has been made (half a shipload) ????

Barry

Barry this is how it works on Carnival USA! If the price drop is before final payment you can claim the drop and they reduce the final payment,if the price drop is after final payment you can make a claim and the difference is paid in the choice of non refundable On Board Credit or cabin upgrades.

Den

Hello!

I was on Radiance last month (December 2012) and booked my next cruise on board for December 2013.

For no particular reason, I was browsing RC website and notice quite a significant price drop ($700) for the same cruise and cabin category.

It doesn't appear to be part of any sale.

This seems to be quite a common thing for RCL to do. I often track prices on several on-line cruise price watch sites and the graph shows a distinct large price drop about 12 months out from the cruise date then a steady increase about every 2 months.

I also noticed the price drop on RCI. We booked onboard as we often do and was told should there be a price drop, it would be honoured. Last year there was no price drop and our original onboard price was not bettered. But our current onboard booking is cheaper by several hundred dollars each, at the moment on the RCI site (au) and these prices are not advertised as a sale. So I emailed and as yet to receive reply, so I rang Sydney RCI and yes I would be eligible and was quoted new prices. I was told it would be a few days before my booking details would reflect the changed amounts with no room changes. Hoping that this is right but will keep an eye on my booking. Otherwise we will be on 2 more RCI cruises this season and will enquire onboard. Here's hoping next season may see some competitive pricing as there has been some good prices around this season, providing you can be flexible with your bookings.

I also noticed the price drop on RCI. We booked onboard as we often do and was told should there be a price drop, it would be honoured. Last year there was no price drop and our original onboard price was not bettered. But our current onboard booking is several hundred dollars each cheaper at the moment on the RCI site (au) and these prices are not advertised as a sale. So I emailed and as yet to receive reply, so I rang Sydney RCI and yes I would be eligible and was quoted new prices. I was told it would be a few days before my booking details would reflect the changed amounts with no room changes. Hoping that this is right but will keep an eye on my booking. Otherwise we will be on 2 more RCI cruises this season and will enquire onboard.

Thanks for the info! I certainly didn't expect to come across a price difference so large! And as a (at time of writing) solo traveler it makes a,big difference!

Fingers crossed they will update my booking when I call tomorrow.

Splattles, one thing you have to have is patience in contacting Sydney RCI on the phone. Took several attempts to get through and then was lined up for a consultant to speak to me, about 20 minutes wait. Got some ironing done while waiting! Also don't forget to let them know it was an onboard booking originally.

You need to read the terms and conditions located on the RCI Australia website which states:

This is a cut and paste of the current Ts and Cs... from the following link

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/contentPage.do?pagename=terms_and_conditions_australia_page_2

30. Cancellations & Refunds

Cancellations and refunds

If you or anyone travelling with you wishes to cancel your/their cruise or flights, you must immediately give notice in writing to us or your travel agent so that your agent can give us notice of cancellation on your behalf. The cruise and flights will only be deemed cancelled from the date we actually receive written notice of cancellation from you or your travel agent. Insurance premiums and or amendment charges cannot be refunded in the event of cancellation.

Cancellation of cruise

The following cancellation charges will then apply to your cruise.

Standard Cruises & Cruisetours (Cruise Portion Only)

Days Prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Charges

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150-71 days loss of deposit

70-46 days 25% of fare *

45-31 days 50% of fare *

30-15 days 75% of fare *

14 days or less 100% of fare

Holiday Sailings – Christmas, New Year & Easter

(Cruise Portion Only)

Days Prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Charges

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150-91 days loss of deposit

90-61 days 25% of fare *

60-41 days 50% of fare *

40-25 days 75% of fare *

24 days or less 100% of fare

* In instances where the deposit amount paid is higher than the 25/50/75% of cruise fare cancellation charge, then the highest of the two amounts is payable as the cancellation charge, i.e. the full deposit amount is retained.

What this means is that if you want to take advantage of a price drop and retain your deposit you must cancel and re-book the same cruise before 151 days from sailing. RCI are very strict with this as last year I wanted to upgrade to a better category of stateroom and pay them more and it was past final payment, ie. 90 days prior to departure and I had to forego my deposit. The savings were very substantial and I was offered some OBC (not equivalent to the deposit) so I opted to accept the loss of partial deposit as I wanted the cabin type, i.e.. royal family suite for 4 passengers. Just a timing issue really and I lost $300 but gained $2500 from the price drop and being able to book this stateroom category.

Be careful and make sure you understand the Ts and Cs here in Australia. What happens in the US is very different and I hope that Australia does change the rules as stated by another poster.

I just read the information about the Best Price Guarantee on the US RCI website (I couldn't find it on the Australian website) and it states:

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee is applicable to North American reservations only.

You always have to read the fine print !!!!!

Here is the link to the US website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=best_price_guarantee&cid=RCConsumerWebLP-091609BestPriceGuarantee

Deposits on bookings made through the US are frequently very low so cancelling and rebooking is easily done and often without penalty. I was even able to cancel a US made booking and rebook when a lower Australian price advertised with an Aussie agency.

Sue

Yes, I'm aware that this is applicable to North American reservations only.

But what if you are not from NA but you booked directly via RCCL website instead of a travel agent. Then you found out that another agent is offering fares lower than the RCCL's fare for the same ship, sailing date, and stateroom category.

Will you be entitled to guarantee since you booked your reservation with RCCL website which is based in North America?

Yes, I'm aware that this is applicable to North American reservations only.

But what if you are not from NA but you booked directly via RCCL website instead of a travel agent. Then you found out that another agent is offering fares lower than the RCCL's fare for the same ship, sailing date, and stateroom category.

Will you be entitled to guarantee since you booked your reservation with RCCL website which is based in North America?

It makes no difference you can have your booking transferred to an agent no problem. Like many of us have said often we are happy to book in Australia when our agents are given the same booking conditions as the US ones...and a comparable price.

Sue

Archived