Not even done with my first cruise yet, already planning for a 2nd one

Ak4n3

My husband and I planned a last minute 3-day cruise to Ensanada to try out cruising. I'm just excited to be in a ship on open waters. It's so hard to not to be all giddy about this trip.:D:D

Now my excitement has got me looking for cruises to bring my 60-ish year old parents and my school-aged son in the foreseeable future. I know that it will be a real chunk of change as compared to the 3 day cruise (especially since I have my eye on the 15-day Hawaii one)

:eek: = Hubby's reaction to Hawaii

Anyway, I hope that my 3-day cruise won't disappoint. I'm looking forward to more travels :p:p

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you are thinking about sailing Carnival again, check out their Future Cruise Credit program (Name may be different on Carnival). With it, you can either book onboard or put down an open deposit on a future cruise. Either way, I believe the deposit is $100 and you get some On Board Credit on the cruise.

Welcome!! I think you'll find cruising is addicting.

We won't go on ours until next spring break and already thinking past that.... I've been thinking about that Hawaii one too!!

Have a great time on your 3day.

If you've never been to Hawaii, a cruise is NOT the best way to experience it. A land-based trip will give you many more options and time to really get to know the Hawaiian culture!

An Hawaiian cruise is fine if you've been there, done that....and really aren't interested in discovering Hawaii!

I wouldn't recommend the Hawaiian one for one's first cruise as it could involve some rough seas (you'll cross a strong current off the west coast). So it's probably best to try out your sea sense on the Baja-Ensenada cruise and then work your way up to the 14- or 15-day Hawaiian (or South American or Australian/NZ or Northern European cruises...the ones that tend to have rougher seas).

But the Hawaiian cruise will give you a taste of Hawaii if you haven't been there before. Give you an idea of which island you would love to return to for a longer land trip (if you need to stick with one or two islands). Both my husband and I have been there before twice on land trips, including our honeymoon. So our cruises to Hawaii provided a fun way (especially for me as I hate air travel) to get to the islands. For my daughter, who hadn't been there before, the cruises were her introduction. On the Golden Princess (our last cruise), there were Hawaiian activities (lei making, uke lessons, hula lessons, seminars) as well as some items on the menu that were inspired by the islands. A few years ago, Princess hired Elua, a duo (she's from the Big Island, he's from the midwest) who are credited with kicking up the feeling of Aloha onboard to a high level. You can't be onboard and not know your destination (unlike most other cruises in which you wouldn't know if you're going to Alaska or the Caribbean if you were taken blindfolded on board).

The problem with the OP with booking this cruise on Carnival is that the cruiseline doesn't seem to ever have a ship on this itinerary when school is out. So unless her son attends a school district in which they don't mind if a student takes vacation days while school is in session (unfortunately my daughter's school district has a tough policy), she should consider other cruiselines such as Princess that does have a holiday time cruise (both of our Hawaiian cruises were during winter break).

As you can see our 4th cruise was to Hawaii last month. As we were walking off at the end, DW and I agreed that if it had been our first we might not have booked again for awhile. From the west coast it's about 4 days each way to and from the islands, and we didn't have very good weather (February probably isn't the best time of year to sail in those waters). We ended up wishing for more "Hawaii" and less "cruise"...

Norwegian has a 7-day Hawaii cruise with a port call every day (or nearly so). Since it starts and ends in Hawaii you don't have to deal with the transit. Not that there's anything wrong with sea days...

As you can see our 4th cruise was to Hawaii last month. As we were walking off at the end, DW and I agreed that if it had been our first we might not have booked again for awhile. From the west coast it's about 4 days each way to and from the islands, and we didn't have very good weather (February probably isn't the best time of year to sail in those waters). We ended up wishing for more "Hawaii" and less "cruise"...

Norwegian has a 7-day Hawaii cruise with a port call every day (or nearly so). Since it starts and ends in Hawaii you don't have to deal with the transit. Not that there's anything wrong with sea days...

We all have different preferences. Mine would be for the sea days in each direction rather than flying to Hawaii and back

I feel so welcomed in the boards. Thank you all much for your replies.

Cruisin' Chick, you raised valid points with regards to the school year schedule. (darn school, must you always ruin my buzz...LOL). However, even just browsing gives a certain high. I'll still be shopping around for the best deal I can find. For now, I just like looking over the cruises (not so much about the prices, though...):p

I love Hawaii. My husband and I have been there and we were depressed when we have to return to the mainland. Cruising will be a nice change of pace for my family since we always fly to go to places for vacation. I don't know if we can do that in a year or 5 years, but its definitely on my bucket list.

Congrats on your first cruise!

Just one thing to consider for the 15 day you are thinking about. Since you are thinking of a school age child, there will be very few (if any) other kids onboard. Your child might still have a good time, but you have to really think about whether or not he will be entertained enough for all those sea days.

The crowd and experience on a 15 day vs a 3 day will be completely different. The 15 day will have a more sedate feel to it and attract an older crowd. Just something to think about when taking a child.

Have fun!

My husband and I planned a last minute 3-day cruise to Ensanada to try out cruising. I'm just excited to be in a ship on open waters. It's so hard to not to be all giddy about this trip.:D:D

Now my excitement has got me looking for cruises to bring my 60-ish year old parents and my school-aged son in the foreseeable future. I know that it will be a real chunk of change as compared to the 3 day cruise (especially since I have my eye on the 15-day Hawaii one)

:eek: = Hubby's reaction to Hawaii

Anyway, I hope that my 3-day cruise won't disappoint. I'm looking forward to more travels :p:p

if you are excited now you Definetly will be ready too book a 2nd cruise. and doing the booking while on your 3 dayer is a good idea. also if you go too the carnival site and book your cruise dont forget too do the advanced search so you can put in your past guest number for some savings. also sometimes your state and age applies. also military, nursing, unions get a discount. have a great time.

I am doing the same thing. Our first cruise is in July but I am already planning another. For my second cruise, I am looking at the ships more. I am also looking for a longer cruise and would like to go to Mexico. My kids are Mexican but have never been to Mexico so they would probably really enjoy getting to see a small portion of it.

Archived