Shuttles to town

Eager2Travel

We are thinking of booking an Oceania cruise for the first time. I was wondering if they provide shuttles from port into town as Regent does. It feels momentous to make the shift but we love the Oceania cruise we are looking at. We are unsure of how much all the extras will amount to. It feels like a large expense unknown..

Thanks for any info

We are thinking of booking an Oceania cruise for the first time. I was wondering if they provide shuttles from port into town as Regent does. It feels momentous to make the shift but we love the Oceania cruise we are looking at. We are unsure of how much all the extras will amount to. It feels like a large expense unknown..

Thanks for any info

Only for some ports which remain a secret until you arrive ;)

Not sure what the extras you are expecting but it may work out the same $$ as a Regent cruise in the long run

enjoy

It might help if you indicate which cruise you are looking at, and you could also then go to the roll call for your cruise.

Our experience on Oceania is that many ports are walkable, and they are now offering more no-fee shuttles than they used to. But it DOES depend on the port.

It's really hard to answer your question without knowing which ports are in question.

Mura

"THE" South America trip on Marina????

I think there is probably more than one ... a date and beginning/ending port would help!

Also, if you have that information I suggest you hunt up the roll call for your cruise where you may well get more specific information. More info than you will get here at a general list. (At the main Cruise Critic website find Roll Calls, then your ship, then look for a reference to your cruise.)

That's a much better way to get answers to your questions, and also to set up private tours if you are interested in doing so.

Hope this helps!

Mura

We are on the Nautica London-London, and have made our final payment. So far, there is only one mention of a shuttle-to Bruges-and it is very expensive.

Free shuttles should be listed on the excursion page on the website with "no charge" listed so cruisers can make appropriate plans. My advice is don't count on any free shuttles when planning an Oceania cruise.

We were in Bruges many years ago on Renaissance (May '01) and were told there was NO way to get to town other than using a ship's tour. We bought the argument and found out otherwise. (Still, it was a reasonable tour.)

There are taxis and it is a long walk to the train station. (Again, I'm going on what I heard in the past. More people will probably give you better information.)

But I am quite sure that you can order a taxi to meet you. Renaissance told us there were NO taxis, and when we left the ship we saw many taxis waiting for passengers.

So I would say avoid the official shuttle. You surely can do better.

Mura

Free shuttles should be listed on the excursion page on the website with "no charge" listed so cruisers can make appropriate plans. My advice is don't count on any free shuttles when planning an Oceania cruise.

I agree

By the time they print the Personal cruise booklet they should know what ports will have free shuttles

I would pre book a taxi to Bruges ..you can get a van for 8 for about 45Euro ..one way

Lyn

We are on the Nautica London-London, and have made our final payment. So far, there is only one mention of a shuttle-to Bruges-and it is very expensive.

I do agree that it would be very helpful if we knew earlier in advance which ports on our particular sailing would have shuttles or not. That said for those of us would be planning on making private arrangements when traveling on our own it would simply save us taking a taxi to the nearby town to continue on our plans. Actually that is why i am very happy they are now offering shuttles to town. We have had difficulties on more than one occasion getting a taxi for short trip.

Zeebrugge to Bruge is more than a port shuttle. O offers a free 'port shuttle' in some ports of call. The objective is to get you out of, and back into, the port and to its nearby town where you can take your own independent transportation.

Livorno is an example. The port shuttle will take you out of that industrial port to Livorno it shows where you can then take a taxi or bus to the train station and from there to get train to Florence or Pisa or Lucca, etc. The ships also offers an expensive but convenient bus transfer all the way to Florence. So you have a choice, the convenience and expense of a prearranged bus transfer or a much cheaper, more involved, research required, more exciting (especially if the train is late or there are no taxis when you arrive on the return journey) free port shuttle to town and then onwards on your own.

We've done both. For us depending on the port and the circumstances and the time they both have their benefits. I am certainly not arguing in favor of the price of the ships excursions but they do have their place.

An excellent place to get excellent advice from both experienced cruisers and often from those who live nearby, check out the Ports of Call section of CC.

We had no trouble getting a taxi by walking out toward the gate at the pier.:)

Hi I'm on that cruise and from what I understand there will be a free shuttle to Blankenberg, from where you are able to catch a train into Bruges.

Bruges is a fair distance from Zeebrugge and no way would I expect any cruise line to run a 'shuttle' into Bruges from the port.

Thanks for the help. I will refer to the roll call. We have not deposited yet so I do not have an excursion list to refer to. It is not until next December.

Ann

You mentioned earlier in December cruise to South America - sounds great! O does not list excursions for cruises that far out. Otherwise even without yet having made a booking you could still view excursions in general on their website under the Explorer Ashore tab. If there was a similar cruise sailing sooner you'd be able to view it under the Itinerary tab, select Excursions and you can see exactly what's being offered for THAT particular cruise including prices.

Certainly the ships excursions are more expensive than with doing your own tours that you could arrange with others on your roll call but for some people and for some ports they do make sense.

Hi I'm on that cruise and from what I understand there will be a free shuttle to Blankenberg, from where you are able to catch a train into Bruges.

Bruges is a fair distance from Zeebrugge and no way would I expect any cruise line to run a 'shuttle' into Bruges from the port.

Has Oceania posted that anywhere or are you just guessing?

It is unlikely there will be a free shuttle to Bruges. Too far.

Bruges Taxi Service is an excellent option. You can arrange in advance.

We were 3 couples and arranged travel to Bruges and return to ship for 90 Euro total. We were met in Bruges for return to ship on time by the same driver.

There was a thread many months back where someone tried to identify all the ports where O offered free shuttles. You might want to search the O threads.

It is unlikely there will be a free shuttle to Bruges. Too far.

Bruges Taxi Service is an excellent option. You can arrange in advance.

We were 3 couples and arranged travel to Bruges and return to ship for 90 Euro total. We were met in Bruges for return to ship on time by the same driver.

There was a thread many months back where someone tried to identify all the ports where O offered free shuttles. You might want to search the O threads.

I'm not sure if your reply was directed at me but I never said that there would be a free shuttle to Bruges.

I was assured that this was the case by my TA.

Why would I guess? :confused:

Seriously, does your TA have authoritative information from O or is the TA guessing? Any definitive info on O shuttles at any of the ports would be much appreciated on our roll call.

I have not had any free shuttles put on by Oceania at any of our ports

We did have shuttles put on by the port authorities because they were working ports & you are not allowed to walk in/out of those areas ( they do not want body parts strewn around )

We had shuttles in Le Havre, Portland U.K., Falmouth U.K.

Other ports we either booked our own transportation with guides or taxis some ports you could just walk to the town

Archived