Lanai vs. Verandah on Veendam

sacruiser113

My wife and I are considering a 12-day cruise to South America next February. The Lanai suites look like a less expensive way to gain quick access to the lower promenade deck, albeit with less privacy than in suites with private outside areas. I'm not so concerned about people looking in (I know that there's a reflective coating on the glass and that we'd have to pull the curtains at night).

However, on a summer cruise last year (on a different line), we had an aft cabin with a private balcony. Sometimes, we slept with the door open a bit to get some fresh air and listen to the sounds outside. which we'd be reluctant to do in a Lanai suite.

Thoughts and advice welcome!

Thanks.

My wife and I are considering a 12-day cruise to South America next February. The Lanai suites look like a less expensive way to gain quick access to the lower promenade deck, albeit with less privacy than in suites with private outside areas. I'm not so concerned about people looking in (I know that there's a reflective coating on the glass and that we'd have to pull the curtains at night).

However, on a summer cruise last year (on a different line), we had an aft cabin with a private balcony. Sometimes, we slept with the door open a bit to get some fresh air and listen to the sounds outside. which we'd be reluctant to do in a Lanai suite.

Thanks.

Ok, I hate to say this - but you shouldn't leave your balcony door open - it mucks up the air conditioning on the ship and can hurt the air conditioning of passengers' rooms on the same line as yours.

I like the privacy of the veranda but a lot of people really enjoy the Lanai.

If the only thing holding you back is the balcony door being left open then the lanai is fine. I like stepping out in the morning in my bathrobe on my balcony or relaxing at night. That would be my concern with a lanai (and the people passing by). JMO:)

Thanks for the quick reply. I was under the impression that opening the door in any cabin with exterior access would disable the A/C in that cabin but wouldn't affect any others. That's good to know.

The Lanai appeals to me because it lets you exit the cabin and walk around the entire ship without having to go up or down.

Thanks again.

Thanks.

I think you would be happier in a suite then in a Lanai cabin. JMO

I think there have been many discussions on the effects of leaving your balcony door open on your A/C. Some lines, if I remember correctly, recommend that you close the doors and I think recommend is the operative word. On my cruise last month, we had to leave the door open for about 2 days due to the strong odor of sewerage on our side of the ship.

Here is a good informative article on it: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

Some lines, if I remember correctly, recommend that you close the doors and I think recommend is the operative word.

I don't recall that the sign on the HAL door uses the word "recommend".

Perhaps someone with a photo of the sign will post it. I know it's been posted before.

Thanks.

This is another of those decisions that, aside from cost, basically just comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Many passengers want their own private outside space and find that having a private balcony greatly enhances their enjoyment of the cruise. Others don't care and are fine with spending their time out in the public areas.

Privacy is simply more important to some people than to others.

Years ago there were similar discussions about having a private bathroom vs. sharing a bathroom down the hall. Some felt it important to have a private bathroom and others did not mind sharing a communal bathroom.

Today all cabins come with a private bathroom and it is no longer even an issue.

You are apparently already well aware of the pros and cons of the lanai cabins. It really makes no difference what anyone else would choose because once you are on the ship what will matter to you is whether or not you miss having your own private outdoor space and whether or not you mind having strangers walking back and forth right outside your window day after day.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was under the impression that opening the door in any cabin with exterior access would disable the A/C in that cabin but wouldn't affect any others. That's good to know.

The Lanai appeals to me because it lets you exit the cabin and walk around the entire ship without having to go up or down.

Thanks again.

Can you lock the door from the outside on the deck?

A friend had a lanai cabin and, IIRC, she said the door locks automatically when it is closed, and you have a key for it (different from your hallway room key). She liked the lanai cabin. She KNEW that people couldn't see in during the daytime, but she said it took a While to BELIEVE that.

After all the discussions of AC and open doors, I could have sworn that I took a photo of the sign on the door last fall. I just looked through the folders on my computer, but I couldn't find the picture. But I believe the sign says "please do not keep the door open as it interferes with the air conditioning system" or something like that. It does not say "we suggest."

We enjoyed a lanai cabin on the Veendam in January - Valparaiso to BA, including the Antarctic. There was lots to see (and photograph) from both sides of the ship, and we spent hours every day on the lower prom deck. the lanai cabin was an advantage. We were happy to share our deck chairs with others!

The door automatically locks when the door closes. You don't need a separate key. Your room card for the hall door opens the Lanai door.

We loved our Lanai cabin - granted everyone has their own opinions. The room is smaller - the desk has no drawers and there is no mini fridge. The closets are the same as in a verandah and the bathroom was the same. The glass doors have a good mirror film on it and the people who walk by cannot see in the room. We had our own deck chairs - did not have to fight the chair hogs for one on one of the other decks. Sat out and read my book or did needlework while drinking my coffee in the morning and loved it. DH loved the easy access to the promenade.

Which ever you choose, have a great cruise.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Thanks.

Thanks again.

I think you would be happier in a suite then in a Lanai cabin. JMO

Why? :confused:

We really enjoyed our Lanai Cabin on the Veendam to Bermuda in 2010..If we were ever to book on another HAL ship with Lanai's, we would take a lanai every time...We enjoy talking to others out on the Promenade & don't want to be isolated on a ships Verandah..

Cheers....:)Betty

• 1 month later...
We absolutely loved our Lanai cabin. I just asked my DW if she would do it again and her response was "in a NY minute" You cannot go wrong with a Lanai.

We had a Lanai on the Veendam last year and just booked a Lanai cabin on the Veendam for this year .

Personally I would go with the verandah cabin -- much larger.

There are signs on all the verandahs door advising you to keep them closed. Your leaving the door open will affect the air-conditioning in the cabins around you as you are all on the same system. And you do not want to maake your neighbors mad at you.

We enjoyed a lanai cabin on the Veendam in January - Valparaiso to BA, including the Antarctic. There was lots to see (and photograph) from both sides of the ship, and we spent hours every day on the lower prom deck. the lanai cabin was an advantage. We were happy to share our deck chairs with others!

i was on that cruise too and I agree. I loved the Lanai as we could get quick access to both port and starboard sides of ship for great pics. I would definately go Lanai again.

Debbie

• 1 month later...

We had a lanai on the Veendam to Bermuda in May and really enjoyed the location and easy access to outside, both sides of the ship, etc. Enjoyed chatting with neighbors and walkers--and for me that made up for having to close the drapes at night and not being able to step out in my jammies. Chairs were more comfortable than those on the balconies. They were doing repair work outside our room for three days, which limited our use of the chairs while in Bermuda, but that could happen with a balcony, too--and HAL did compensate us for the inconvenience when I complained. Last year when we were on the Eurodam, there was an outbreak of some kind and anyone with symptoms was quarantined to their room for 24 hours--I was glad for the balcony when it hit me (from bad food on a shore excursion, probably)--and glad nothing like that happened on this trip since you wouldn't be able to use the lanai chairs under those circumstances.

Thanks.

You can't leave the door open. It is heavy and slides shut, not to mention wil mess up the air conditioning.

We had a lanai on Veendam this year in South America and booked another Lanai on Veendam for next year.

Archived