Tipping

flyboyswife

You are correct the DSC does not cover bar or spa staff. However, that staff is tipped automatically 15-20% on your bill. So no need to tip them twice. Room service is covered by the DSC.

Room service is covered by the dsc? Are you positive about this?

There is a $12pp/pd service charge. The service charge covers your wait staff, room steward, and many others behind the scenes. Tipping anything beyond that is entirely optional and at your discretion depending on the level of service received.

There will be a 15% automatic gratuity added to all bar tabs. There will also be an 18% automatic gratuity added to spa treatments. Anything beyond these amounts is entirely optional.

Tipping in the surcharge restaurants is also optional and not expected. However, some people do leave a tip when they receive exceptional service. In those instances, amounts reported here on CC vary - $5-10 is not uncommon.

Your butler and concierge (if applicable) and the Kids Crew staff are not covered by the daily service charge and therefore should be tipped according to the level of service provided.

The person delivering room service is sometimes tipped by passengers (again, at your discretion) more or less based on the amount ordered and being delivered. $1-2 is not uncommon; $5 is not unheard of, but no tip is perfectly acceptable, too.

Hope this helps.

wait, the dsc isn't a tip? is it considered a tip in the restaurants?

I can do no better than to quote johnql's response:).

It does cover the bar staff. If you look at the receipt you sign you'll see an 18% tip has been added to your total.

No, the bar tab has a gratuity added, 15%. HOWEVER, bar staff is NOT part of the Daily Service Charge and hence the added gratuity.

If you get to know a bartender or have had a great pour, etc. there is nothing stopping you tipping cash on top of the added gratuity.

I guess its all in the wording. When the waitstaff receives the "dsc", isn't it considered their "tip/gratuity"?

No. the DSC is considered their salary.

A tip is anything you choose to leave extra for exceptional service.

Remember there is no tipping expected or required on any NCL cruise.

What do you call the "automatic gratuity" charge on your bar bill then?

Good point, but I think they meant to the dining staff/stewards etc.

Maybe. I try not to over think it like some of our fine fellow CC folks do. I pay my 12 bucks a day, no more, no less. I sign my bar bill with the gratuity, no more, no less. I'm happy, they are happy. Pass me another beer please. :D

Maybe. I try not to over think it like some of our fine fellow CC folks do. I pay my 12 bucks a day, no more, no less. I sign my bar bill with the gratuity, no more, no less. I'm happy, they are happy. Pass me another beer please. :D

That's exactly what I do too. I consider the added gratuity on the bar charges as part of the cost of the drink so I guess I just don't think of it as extra. Sometimes I have been known to add a tip in the specialty restaurants but sometime not.

I guess the point is if you just go with the flow there's no eaiser system than NCL when it comes to services charges/gartuities/tips, etc.

Call it what you (or ncl) want, but I see no difference between dsc and chosing prepaid gratuities on every other cruiseline. The only difference is that ncl has chosen to decide for you LOL. Not that that is a bad thing mind you, the staff deserves every penny and more.

Call it what you (or ncl) want, but I see no difference between dsc and chosing prepaid gratuities on every other cruiseline. The only difference is that ncl has chosen to decide for you LOL. Not that that is a bad thing mind you, the staff deserves every penny and more.

Given that you have different waitstaff every night it's the only reasonable way to handle it, IMHO.

Room service is covered by the dsc? Are you positive about this?

Yes. Room service personnel are waiters who either volunteer or are picked to deliver food to rooms for a few hours a day, depending on the schedule and demand. They are already receiving their share of the DSC because their main job is a waiter at one of the dining venues.

There is a $12pp/pd service charge. The service charge covers your wait staff, room steward, and many others behind the scenes. Tipping anything beyond that is entirely optional and at your discretion depending on the level of service received.

There will be a 15% automatic gratuity added to all bar tabs. There will also be an 18% automatic gratuity added to spa treatments. Anything beyond these amounts is entirely optional.

Tipping in the surcharge restaurants is also optional and not expected. However, some people do leave a tip when they receive exceptional service. In those instances, amounts reported here on CC vary - $5-10 is not uncommon.

Your butler and concierge (if applicable) and the Kids Crew staff are not covered by the daily service charge and therefore should be tipped according to the level of service provided.

The person delivering room service is sometimes tipped by passengers (again, at your discretion) more or less based on the amount ordered and being delivered. $1-2 is not uncommon; $5 is not unheard of, but no tip is perfectly acceptable, too.

Hope this helps.

We have prepaid our service charge. Is there anything else I need to do once onboard?

On RCCL when you prepay the service charges, you get little slips of paper for an envelop to hand each person showing that you have prepaid. Those that don't prepay put cash in the envelope although I've seen the last night in the MDR very empty :( since they didn't go back and give out their tips.

Anyway, do we get anything to show we have prepaid or since NCL charges everyone the service charge everyone gets paid. I understand if I want to give extra, I can just do so with cash.

We have prepaid our service charge. Is there anything else I need to do once onboard?

On RCCL when you prepay the service charges, you get little slips of paper for an envelop to hand each person showing that you have prepaid. Those that don't prepay put cash in the envelope although I've seen the last night in the MDR very empty :( since they didn't go back and give out their tips.

Anyway, do we get anything to show we have prepaid or since NCL charges everyone the service charge everyone gets paid. I understand if I want to give extra, I can just do so with cash.

Nope, nothing else to do once you've prepaid. No envelopes, no slips of paper. Just sit back and enjoy your cruise.

You won't get any vouchers on NCL, which makes it easier as other than your steward it would be difficult to figure out who to give one to.

Archived