Carnival Imagination - Spring Break

aberthelot

:(This was our first ever cruise. We decided to book a short Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Imagination. I am so disappointed in the way the younger passengers carried on. It totally ruined my view of cruising. The college aged passengers did nothing but drink and walk around the ship drunk most of the time. They did not care about their appearance and would go to breakfast and lunch barely clothed. It seemed like alcohol was strongly promoted and the drunker these young people became the better for the profit of the company. I could not believe that these people were behaving this way at their age. It is one thing to see a few drunken people, but practically all of these "kids" were drunk.

Why didn't the staff do more to control these behaviours? I don't plan to ever take another cruise during this time of year. Let this be a warning to anyone trying to take a relaxing vacation. I did not find it one bit relaxing. The spots by the pool and on the decks were completely over run by 20 year olds. The cruise ship company should warn people of this before they book. My travel agent did not even mention this to us. I am from Cananda and I have no idea when the March break is for universities in the states.

I am not very happy about the entire waste of money.:eek:

:(This was our first ever cruise. We decided to book a short Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Imagination. I am so disappointed in the way the younger passengers carried on. It totally ruined my view of cruising. The college aged passengers did nothing but drink and walk around the ship drunk most of the time. They did not care about their appearance and would go to breakfast and lunch barely clothed. It seemed like alcohol was strongly promoted and the drunker these young people became the better for the profit of the company. I could not believe that these people were behaving this way at their age. It is one thing to see a few drunken people, but practically all of these "kids" were drunk.

Why didn't the staff do more to control these behaviours? I don't plan to ever take another cruise during this time of year. Let this be a warning to anyone trying to take a relaxing vacation. I did not find it one bit relaxing. The spots by the pool and on the decks were completely over run by 20 year olds. The cruise ship company should warn people of this before they book. My travel agent did not even mention this to us. I am from Cananda and I have no idea when the March break is for universities in the states.

I won't flame you for being upset with the cruise. Sorry it did not meet your expectations.

Now for a few suggestions:

Don't judge all cruises by this experience.

Expect during spring break and especially on the smaller ships/shorter itineraries to have a bunch of college kids.

Expecting to find a quiet place by the pool on a spring break cruise is like trying to find a quiet place in a night club!

A good travel agent probably should have given you some expectations.

Carnival is not going to stop the party by the pool during spring break as long as nobody is getting hurt. Revenue revenue revenue!

Try a cruise of longer duration and at a different time...the pool areas will still not be "quiet". But, my wife and I have never had trouble finding a seat in a quiet area where we can sun and relax (AND, no chair hogs either!)

Also, realize that rowdy behaviour is not something that is unique to Carnival...We've seen it on every cruise line we've been on.

Sorry that you had a very bad first cruise. If you want to try the waters again, I do have a few ideas that may help you for the second try.

1. Longer cruises have will have fewer drunk kids.

2. Book a cruise for when schools are open, not during a break.

3. There is nothing that the staff can do unless the kids are doing something dangerous. However, you can complain if they are so loud that you find it hard to sleep at night.

I do hope that you can find the right line and time to enjoy your first relaxing cruise vacation.

The cruise lines can't possibly warn every passenger about every thing that the passenger might take exception to (I can see some college kid posting "man, my cruise was ruined because of all of the old, wrinkled people sitting around the pool drinking prune juice":eek:). We roll the dice and make the best of what gets thrown our way. (BTW, I would be one of the old, wrinkled people;).)

Rowdy behavior is not tolerated on some cruise lines, no matter what some here might say.

We have been on many cruises during Spring Break & never have seen some of the behaviors mentioned here. But we choose lines that expect their cruisers to behave with civility.

Carnival, the "Fun" ships, promote drinking, & partying and so that's exactly what some their younger (and older) passengers do.

Try another line.

Rowdy behavior is not tolerated on some cruise lines, no matter what some here might say.

We have been on many cruises during Spring Break & never have seen some of the behaviors mentioned here. But we choose lines that expect their cruisers to behave with civility.

Carnival, the "Fun" ships, promote drinking, & partying and so that's exactly what some their younger (and older) passengers do.

Try another line.

I agree.

OP sorry you had a bad cruise. While you may find a wild atmosphere in most places Spring Breakers are, some places don't care and let them run wild. I hear RCI has it as well but I have not sailed them during Spring Break.

I suggest Celebrity at that time as ins not too much more expensive really at that time. That or take a longer cruise. I took a Carnival cruise last year just a the end of Spring Break on a 7 day and it was an incredible great time with a very good caliber of people.

First the entire month of March, every year is college spring break time. The behavior exhibited by the college students it what happens on almost every college campus almost every day of the year, and is to be expected. The cruise lines are in the business to make profits. One of their biggest profit makers is alcohol. Unless people who are drinking are hurting themselves or others the cruise lines are not going to do anything except encourage more drinking. This is true year round.

The other behaviors that you mention (specifically dress) occur on all cruises year round.

If you truly want to avoid this type of behavior you need to look at the luxury lines where you will not have to deal with these issues.

Try another line.

The only specific behaviors mentioned were drinking and coming to eat without enough clothing on. My question is how much drinking does it take to offend the OP? What offends the OP or is too much for the OP may not bother the majority of people. As far as dressing for lunch and dinner I am sure that the problem is that young people came to breakfast and lunch on the Lido deck in bathing suits. Since there is no real dress code for the buffet that is to be expected.

Try another line.

I dont think thats true, its not just CCL, I heard people like to party on RCL short cruises as well.

As for short cruises in general, they are not all spring break like, I have never taken a 7 day cruise and never experienced a total ship of partying, maybe one group here and there, but nothing to ruin my day or my cruise experience.

With that said, I wouldnt take a short cruise during any college spring break, nor would I visit Cancun or Daytona beach and other frequented resorts that cater to this type of party, there are plenty.

IMO, the travel agent should have known better and recommended either a longer cruise or different time frame.

I was on this same cruise (I'm in my early 40's) and I have no idea what this person is talking about. It seemed like more families with young children on the ship than spring breakers. I was all around the ship and did not see/notice anyone too drunk or ever out of control. It was friendly as usual. There was some skimpy clothing worn by some of the females....but many were well over college age. I thought it was a rather mild & well-behaved group of cruisers. I'd go back in an instant. :)

I was on this same cruise (I'm in my early 40's) and I have no idea what this person is talking about. It seemed like more families with young children on the ship than spring breakers. I was all around the ship and did not see/notice anyone too drunk or ever out of control. It was friendly as usual. There was some skimpy clothing worn by some of the females....but many were well over college age. I thought it was a rather mild & well-behaved group of cruisers. I'd go back in an instant. :)

hahahah...are you sure you were on the same ship?

First the entire month of March, every year is college spring break time. The behavior exhibited by the college students it what happens on almost every college campus almost every day of the year, and is to be expected. The cruise lines are in the business to make profits. One of their biggest profit makers is alcohol. Unless people who are drinking are hurting themselves or others the cruise lines are not going to do anything except encourage more drinking. This is true year round.

The other behaviors that you mention (specifically dress) occur on all cruises year round.

If you truly want to avoid this type of behavior you need to look at the luxury lines where you will not have to deal with these issues.

You must be talking about the US college/university breaks... cuz its not in March for Canada... its in February for us :rolleyes:

You must be talking about the US college/university breaks... cuz its not in March for Canada... its in February for us :rolleyes:

So February isn't safe either? hehe

Yes, it was spring break for some American colleges.

You do not have to "lust" over them to enjoy a little eye candy. Everyone no matter what age or gender does a little looking.

Well, I had a chat with one young man who was sitting at the dining room table drinking his wine from the bottle. I asked him if he wanted a paper bag with that! Very immature!

Archived