Question about speciality restaurant

I've done speciality restaurants on other lines, but for some reason, never on RCI. Is the food at the restaurants, such as Chops and Portofino (which are on the ship I want to sail), unlimited to order? As in, I can order as many appetizers, entrees, etc. I want? Or is it just one of each and that's it?

Forgive my ignorance.

Thanks!

Question on gratuities at the specialty restaurants. I know that the gratuity is included butI always leave extra. I was wondering what would be appropriate?

Your waiter will be happy with anything extra, I'm sure. Your surcharge is the only thing you need to pay, so additional amounts are up to you.

Question on gratuities at the specialty restaurants. I know that the gratuity is included butI always leave extra. I was wondering what would be appropriate?

Since the tip is already included, let the service be your guide. Isn't that what tipping use to be?

I can eat more at supper than almost any one I have ever meet. We did Portofino's 2 years ago on the LOS. We did 3 apps for the 2 of us and all were a good size. The waitress also brought out a huge bowl of mushroom pasta that we did not even order with our entrees. She said the chef told her it would go well with our meal. I was so stuffed after desert that walking was not fun. The only reason to need and extra entree would be for an eating contest.:D

PS - It was one of the best meals we ever had and for $20 each a GREAT value.

We usually tip $15-$20 in Portofino, depending on how the service was. We do the same in Chops but normally $20-$25...and one time we left ZERO tip in Chops because it was a horrible experience all the way around. Must say, the stars were defnitely not alligned that night. I ordered a medium rare filet. It arrived VERY well done. I told the waitress. She said, "No , that is medium rare." She then took it to the chef and he started yelling from the kitchen, "that stake is RARE." Ok, guys, I know a rare steak and a medium rare steak are going to be pink. What they served me was dried out brown. UGH. It was the argument that lost them the tip. And then, they never tried to fix things but the waitress came back and said, "the manager is not going to charge you for this meal. He said he will pay for it himself." That's when I stood up and walked out. I am NOT going to be a victim of passive/aggressive behavior.

We've eaten at Chops about 10 times and had only this one bad experience -- haven't eaten in Chops since, though.

We usually tip $15-$20 in Portofino, depending on how the service was. We do the same in Chops but normally $20-$25...and one time we left ZERO tip in Chops because it was a horrible experience all the way around. Must say, the stars were defnitely not alligned that night. I ordered a medium rare filet. It arrived VERY well done. I told the waitress. She said, "No , that is medium rare." She then took it to the chef and he started yelling from the kitchen, "that stake is RARE." Ok, guys, I know a rare steak and a medium rare steak are going to be pink. What they served me was dried out brown. UGH. It was the argument that lost them the tip. And then, they never tried to fix things but the waitress came back and said, "the manager is not going to charge you for this meal. He said he will pay for it himself." That's when I stood up and walked out. I am NOT going to be a victim of passive/aggressive behavior.

We've eaten at Chops about 10 times and had only this one bad experience -- haven't eaten in Chops since, though.

YIKES!!!:eek::rolleyes::D

that sounds like something out of an old "Candid Camera" or something...wonder where they got that cast of characters.... I've run into a couple temperamental chefs in my day (1 on a ship, 3 on land) and that's SO odd for Royal....they certainly should have comped the meal....sorry you had such a horrible meal...

that said, i've only been to Chops and Portofino once each and I've always been comfortably stuffed....

I have found that it is extremely hard to leave Chops still hungry.

It was easy the night we went... service was so horribly slow and the steak wasn't good. By the time we got out of there I was wanting something else to eat and just thankful to have left.

My wife and I have ordered 2 entrees before with no problem, generally combined to make a surf and turf for example.

Also, we have ordered a second entree to be placed on the table for both of us to share like a pasta dish to go with our steaks.

Never had a problem.

We are also big tippers for good service, above and beyond the general fee.

We have also received lousy service, left no tip, and complained to the Matre'd on the way out, plus the comment card.

For me it wouldnt be the quantity of food as much as the variety. I have a hard time choosing only one appetizer. I love everything on the menu and would almost rather choose a few appetizers over an appetizer and a main course. Crazy, right?

For me it wouldnt be the quantity of food as much as the variety. I have a hard time choosing only one appetizer. I love everything on the menu and would almost rather choose a few appetizers over an appetizer and a main course. Crazy, right?

Crazy? - I hope not!

I’ve done this at both Chops and Portofino’s (although more often at Chops). Servers will generally stagger the delivery so I have an appetizer when my husband is brought his main course.

To the OP - Sorry - I've never tried to order more than one main course so can't comment on that part.

Enjoy

M

Archived