Can you recommend a camera to travel with?

Artemis908

I am looking for a digital camera under $200. Right now my current camera has a few issues when taking photos at night. If my hand is even a little shaky the pictures comes out blurry. During the day I put it on an action setting which seems to help with the blurring. I just want to take clear pictures at night.

It'd also be a bonus if there were color settings, I had a camera once that was great for when I got in an "artsy" mood and could see what the lighting looked light in black and white. But I can always change my pictures to black and white later on, it would just be a nice bonus to have in a camera.

I just picked up the Fuji XP20, under $200, waterproof, shock proof, dust proof, and freeze proof, and has many great features for taking all kinds of different pictures. it is a 14 MP and 5 x zoom. It has image stabilization and panoramic motion.

Seems to be good from what I have taken so far but our cruise isn't til April 15th.

Try the canon powershot line. Very affordable and fun to use. Also check out reviews.

Camera sells for about $120. Purchase an Eye-fi SD card and it will pair with your computer (if you have WiFi at home) and automatically load your photos without removing the SD card from the camera.

I've had a fair number of digital cameras and I've found that, until you start moving up in quality, their weakest spot is low light. I now have a Canon t21 DSLR and it does better than previous cameras. I recently replaced my "pocket camera" with a Leica D-Lux 5 and it's phenomenal in low light, and pretty much any other situation, but it's way expensive! Don't be afraid to use your flash, even for a photo a distance away. What it will do is get your shutter to close faster, preventing the blur.

Every choice implies compromise.

I totally agree. I'm spending almost as much time deciding which camera (both?) to take on my NZ cruise in November as what clothes to take! One is small, light easy to put in a pocket. But, limited range and zoom. The other has several lenses and handles most situations, but is big and bulky. I don't think there is a perfect combination anywhere.

Hi,

I am not going to recommend any particular brand or type. Some of the cameras posted above are good choices IMO.

But keep in mind few things: if you want to enjoy your cruise more than your camera and the photos that you will take, buy and take a small camera. Something you can put in your packet.

I have seen people bring expensive SLR and few lenses ( I was one of them at one time) and all you do is take the bulky equipment and you play a photographer most of the time ...... you will get some great pictures .... but after you get back home ..... nobody is really that much interested in your pictures ......

I am sure you will find a very good camera in the price range that you are looking at. I would recommend to actually get the cameras in your hand and see how it feels, also keep in mind that additional optical view finder is a plus ..... for me it is difficult to see the image in the LCD when the sun is bright and I am outside.

The 14 or 16 megapixels is not such a big deal IMO ...... something even with 10 or 12 will give you good pictures as well ....... unless you will want some big enlargements.

I just bought a Panasonic- Nexel 16 megapixel with a huge memory card for $129 - I already took pictures tonight of my grandson's karate class and the pictures were terrific. It's very easy to operate, and you can plug it in to your laptop or tv to look at the pictures. Also, just take the "card" out - up to Walgreen or Walmart or wherever and print out the photos you want to keep. I recommend it highly - come to think of it - maybe the camera was $119 - i bought it several hours ago. It is very compact, and fits easily in a man's pocket or woman's small purse. It's about the size of a very thin, small wallet

I am looking for a digital camera under $200. Right now my current camera has a few issues when taking photos at night. If my hand is even a little shaky the pictures comes out blurry. During the day I put it on an action setting which seems to help with the blurring. I just want to take clear pictures at night.

It'd also be a bonus if there were color settings, I had a camera once that was great for when I got in an "artsy" mood and could see what the lighting looked light in black and white. But I can always change my pictures to black and white later on, it would just be a nice bonus to have in a camera.

Sorry - I gave you the wrong name of the camera I bought - it was NOT a Panasonic Nextel - it was a Panasonic Lumix 16MP Compact Digital Camera . It was on sale for $117 and I love the great pics it takes - also movies too, but I haven't done that yet. Very easy to zoom, and it takes pictures in various resolutions. It was kind of dark in grandson's karate tournament today, but the pictures somehow adjusted just right. It came with the cords to plug into computer or tv and software to edit your photos. It would be great for a cruise because it is about the size of a thin wallet and fits easily into a pocket or small purse. Just got it today and will take it on the cruise this summer.

Under 200 is a challenging market but this site is worth a read as a start: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_cheap

You could ask a dozen different people and get a dozen different camera recommendations, none that sound familiar, all which are 'easy to use'.

What you may want to do it go to a local Walmart or Best Buy, look at all of the different options and hold them in your hand. Look at the cameras features and compare it against what you will be using it for and what you expect it to do.

Once you have done some leg work and narrowed it down to a couple of choices go online and look for reviews. See what actual owners liked and dislike about that model camera.

You want to see and feel this camera up front and in person before committing to buying anything.

I agree that you have to hold the camera in your hands and get a good feel for it. I am one of those people who takes their bulky DSLR camera with them because I love photography, but I'll agree it's not quick or easy to carry. I also have a small point-and-shoot camera that cost <$200 that can slip in my pocket for easy traveling. What's most important, in my opinion, is that the camera feels right in your hands and that you can hold it steady without feeling awkward (some cameras feel too small for my hands).

I would also recommend to only get a camera that takes AA batteries and an SD card, since those are the easiest and cheapest to find in case you need to replace them while you're traveling. I forgot my battery charger for my DSLR on a trip to Spain, and it was a pain in the patoot to find a quality replacement battery at a decent cost (ended up getting a recharger - much cheaper).

There are small point and shoot cameras that reduce shake. DW has a Nikon Coolpix S210 and has been taking great pictures, and she has never before been very good at taking pictures! There are a couple of different lines within the Coolpix line, so look carefully.

Yes a DSLR would be better, but it won't be under $200. There are some decent cameras in your price range though.

A couple of things. When taking a picture, to reduce shake a bit, press the shutter button and hold it until the picture has been taken.

You can always change a picture to black and white with computer software (if not camera software), and the best way to do it is to "desaturate" the image, rather than selecting black and white.

Archived