Gluten free crepes at Bistro on 5. How?

Dena

Gluten free batter is easy to make, but do they really have a dedicated crepe maker. Celebrity uses authentic crepe makers that cost around $800 each. I know this because I have wanted DH to have the experience of authentic crepes and priced the equipment which, for us, is prohibitive.

So if he could have this experience at Bisto on 5, that would be great. But how can they clean the crepe makers so that there is no cross contamination? Please let me know if anyone has experience with this.

I ate there twice on our Jan/Feb cruise and they were wonderful. I'm not sure how they keep away from cross contamination but I didn't have any issues. You can't see where they are making the crepes but you could ask them how they do it.

I ate there twice on our Jan/Feb cruise and they were wonderful. I'm not sure how they keep away from cross contamination but I didn't have any issues. You can't see where they are making the crepes but you could ask them how they do it.

Hi KeyOfSea, thank you for this feedback. I am pretty sure we are within a year of our first Celebrity cruise ( I have Princess credits to use up, or it would be sooner). I am trying to learn as much as I can about the gluten-free experience for DH. I will ask them how they do it.

I have eaten there several times on the Solstice. They have two large crepe makers. I haven never had problems with cross contamination there and I am very sensitive to gluten. The food has been wonderful!

Thank you for this feedback, Wolfpacker. DH is also very sensitive. We have never had an incident on Princess either in the MDR or Sabatini's. We have never felt very confident ordering room on Princess as sometimes the people answering the phone did not speak English very well.

You should personally check out the crepe maker to see how little remains from crepe to crepe. If a slight amount of gluten would trigger a very serious reaction, I would pass....but the amount of gluten that could even accidentally be part of your crepe seems like it would be almost miniscule.

As with everything, you know your limitations and you make the choice. They do not have a dedicated gluten free crepe maker, waffle maker or toaster anywhere on the ship, as far as I know.

We always enjoy lunch in Bistro 2 or 3 times during a cruise. I always order gf crepes, and I've never had a problem.

Now ordering gf toast in the buffet area is another issue. I've read they have gf pasta at the buffett but I do not know how it is warmed. Is gf pizza available anywhere?

Yes they have gf pasta at the buffet, however it will be placed into a strainer and plunged into the same water used to re-warm the regular pasta. You'll find a similar situation with the gf bread -- it will be placed in the same toaster as the regular bread. If you are so sensitive that this would be enough to bother you, you might be in trouble on any ship. You can always eat the bread not toasted, but the pasta only partially cooked! No way!

They have two (I saw them) and I was told that one was reserved for gluten free crepes. I will be on the Solstice for the third time in a couple of weeks, and I will ask again to be certain. I have have eaten there several times. I am VERY sensitive to gluten. I did not get sick. The food was great!

I'm comfortable witht the crepes but would not touch the pasta or toast in the buffet. I've had them "warm" the bread in the samovar in the Lido kitchen but it wasn't toasted. You also have to request that they change gloves.

They have two (I saw them) and I was told that one was reserved for gluten free crepes. I will be on the Solstice for the third time in a couple of weeks' date=' and I will ask again to be certain. I have have eaten there several times. I am VERY sensitive to gluten. I did not get sick. The food was great![/quote']

Thank you, Wolfpacker, please report back whatever you learn.

I'm comfortable witht the crepes but would not touch the pasta or toast in the buffet. I've had them "warm" the bread in the samovar in the Lido kitchen but it wasn't toasted. You also have to request that they change gloves.

Heating the pasta in the same water used for wheat pasta is awful.

They have two (I saw them) and I was told that one was reserved for gluten free crepes. I will be on the Solstice for the third time in a couple of weeks' date=' and I will ask again to be certain. I have have eaten there several times. I am VERY sensitive to gluten. I did not get sick. The food was great![/quote']

Thank you, Wolfpacker, please report back whatever you learn.

Be sure to tell your TA or X that you need GF in advance of your cruise. I asked for a gf waffle in the dining room. Took them forever because they were prepping a waffle maker to be GF for the remainder of the 14-day cruise. Then I and the other GFs were able to order a waffle whenever, either in the buffet or the MDR. In the MDR, they give you the menu a day ahead. They made a couple of the BEST desserts, GF or otherwise, I've ever eaten in the MDR. Tablemates wanted them, too. The coconut dacquoise w/passion mousse and ananas marmalade was a religious experience. They gave me the recipe. . . .starts out with 10 pounds of butter and serves 450!:eek: BTW, ate in Bistro about 5 times that cruise (Dec 11) and there was a dedicated GF crepe maker (and an especially dedicated GF crepe eater - me).

Edited by goofysmom99

I do not believe that all of the crepe batter on the Constellation is gluten free. When I would order, I would have to wait for the chef to come out and make my crepes.

When she had the time, she came to the table and spoke with me. I do wish I'd made note of her name.

• 3 years later...
I attended a cree making demonstration on the 3/11 Solstice sailing where the chef stated that ALL the batter is glueten free.

Reviving an old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone knew about this? I thought crepes were made with buckwheat, which is GF, so I was hoping everything at Bistro would be GF?

Pure buckwheat flour is a dark, dark brown, almost black. (It usually makes me think of chocolate or licorice when I see it.) I've tried making gluten-free pancakes with all buckwheat flour, but the flavor was so strong that I could barely choke them down, and no one else in my family would go near them with a 10-foot pole. All this is a long way of saying that while some crepes are called buckwheat crepes, they actually have only a small percentage of buckwheat flour in them, and the rest is plain old wheat flour. I don't know what gluten-free crepes are made of, but now I'm curious!

My wife has Celiac and uses Pamela's and Cup for Cup GF Flour.

She loves the GF pizza & pasta in the buffet and the Lawn Club Grill.

She got very sick last cruise when she was given a soup in Tuscan with regular pasta in it. But has never had a problem in the buffet.

Have wanted to try Bistro, but nothing on the menu, hit our fancy for the $10.

As a very senstive, gluten-free passenger, I thoroughly enjoyed the crepes at Bistro, and was assured by the waiter about the precautions taken regarding cross-contamination. I've never had a problem with them, as well as all the gluten-free selections offered through the cruises. Creme brulee, YUM.

As a very senstive' date=' gluten-free passenger, I thoroughly enjoyed the crepes at Bistro, and was assured by the waiter about the precautions taken regarding cross-contamination. I've never had a problem with them, as well as all the gluten-free selections offered through the cruises. Creme brulee, YUM.[/quote']

Glad to hear it! Did you have to order ahead?

No! Not necessary to order ahead. The only food I recall having to wait for' date=' 20 minutes, was the gluten-free pizza. I have never tried it, but heard it was good.[/quote']

That's great! Thank you for the info. We're going in 3 weeks and I'm really looking forward to these.