Delta Queen To Move to New Smyrna Beach, FL?

SeaHunt

For any Delta Queen lovers who haven't heard this news, this article in our local paper (Daytona Beach News Journal) was about a proposal to bring the DQ to New Smyrna Beach as a hotel. :D

Wayne and Judy Heller, who own the Riverview Hotel on Flagler Avenue, have signed a letter of intent with a 30 to 45-day window to buy the 285-foot-long Delta Queen, their attorney Mark Watts told commissioners.

The Hellers want the city to sell them five acres at 120 N. Causeway where they would dock the ship. The riverboat features an 88-room hotel, lounge and restaurant.

rest of article here:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/southeast-volusia/2012/03/28/new-smyrna-beach-leaders-interested-in-riverboat-hotel-proposal.html

I have mixed feelings about this. As a local, it would be fun to see the DQ again, but as a former Ohio resident, I'd much rather see her sailing away from Cincinnati heading down the Ohio River......

It´s posted here as the DQ is - I´s say - the "mother" of the AQ :D!

SeaHunt,

I definitely don´t want to see her in FL. It means she will sit in brack water or even salt water and will be exposed to salt water air. That definitely will be the end of the boat. One of her "family members" did have a similar fate, the Gordon C. Greene, which was moved to Tampa (in the late 1950ies). She didn´t last long there. The DQ would be also exposed to hurricanes and tropcial storms.

If you want to help write an email to the city council.

The DQ is currently in Chattanooga and well cared of. A group of volunteers is frequently visiting and doing repairs and more. A former chief engineer is living on the boat and taking care of the machinery. There are efforts on the way to get another exemption.

The DQ is part of American history, a National Historic Landmark and the only historic overnight paddlewheel steamboat (the AQ has additional Z drives).

steamboats

It´s posted here as the DQ is - I´s say - the "mother" of the AQ :D!

steamboats

Well seems as though the AQ has new parents now :D

Too bad about the DQ...it needs some loving parents also to take good care of her

Archived