Disappointed in " O"

travelinjudy

I have not yet sailed on Oceania...my first cruise with them is booked for the Riviera next January. However, I can say that many "mass market" lines charge an internet set-up fee and all lines that charge for drinks include an automatic gratuity...I usually see 15%. While I realize that Oceania is not wanting to be grouped as "mass market", I don't find it unusual within the industry that they charge for these things...Just my opinion.

Soccer Mom

There are valid opinions based on reason and logic, and there are deliberate exaggerations like "ridiculous" charges. One respects reasonable criticisms based on fact; the exaggerations are like a fingernail on a blackboard. A $3.95 internet setiup charge may be unexpected and even excessive, but it is hardly "ridiculous". The same is true of drink gratuities 3% higher than mass market cruise lines.

The same is true of drink gratuities 3% higher than mass market cruise lines.

To put this in perspective: For a $7.50 cocktail, a 15% surcharge is $1.13 - an 18% surcharge is $1.35.

(Bear in mind I've never cruised Oceania, so I don't know the cost of things - I'm just making a guess...)

Now if we were talking Carnival, where it often costs something as little as $599 for a week, I could somewhat understand the objection...

...but is 22 cents/drink really going to break anyone who can afford a cruise aboard Oceania?

:confused:

The simple use of words like "ridiculous" and "absurd" would seem to beg a challenge from most any commentator or even casual observer.

Beyond that, why would someone find exception with providing a gratuity to the serving staff of 18 percent?

Ofcourse the other way of looking at prices for drinks and extras is to look at a luxury all inclusive line such as Seabourn.

The prices are so reasonable at present that you can sail with them for a cheaper price than Oceania, after paying for drinks,gratuities and other extras.

There has never been a better time to step up a grade and experience a luxury line over a premium line.

Ofcourse the other way of looking at prices for drinks and extras is to look at a luxury all inclusive line such as Seabourn.

The prices are so reasonable at present that you can sail with them for a cheaper price than Oceania, after paying for drinks,gratuities and other extras.

There has never been a better time to step up a grade and experience a luxury line over a premium line.

You also get to experience SMOKE :mad: and formal nights! Enjoy!:)

Hi,

The things I said about the cruise were related to the cruise and personnel, not the ports. Most of the ports were great. We especially loved Auckland, Brisbane and Sydney. Tonga and Suva were good, and Latouka was o.k.

The Bay of Islands and Whitsundays were beautiful, although it rained in the Whitsundays, so that kind of spoiled things for those who were in the scuba diving trip. The stop in Lifo, New Caledonia was a real waste. No one liked it. There was little or nothing to do there.

We spent 4 wonderful days pre-cruise in Auckland, and 2 days post cruise in Sydney. I wish we could have stayed in Sydney another 4 days, but our schedules would not permit.

If this is your dream cruise--(it was mine, too) -- take it! Just don't have real high expectations about the ship experience. It was o.k., not exceptional.

Like others who have thoughtfully responded to this post, I travelled in VS Nautica liking every moment of it, and not using the butler (others had it in for the poor guy!). The only items I noticed was the tendency to grab your plate as soon as it looked empty, but given the seating space restrictions in the aft buffet - this may be an operational necessity. The MDR was very noisy - caused by loud passengers yelling across tables to their amigos, treat is as part of the entertainment and it seems much more acceptable behaviour. Food, service, and the aim to please attitude of the staff and chefs made the voyage top notch. I am normally a Cunarder, but the Oceania staff made it seem like a Queens Grill experience without the tuxes and tails dress up. Hopefully the lady who noted her disappointment with Regatta will be pleasantly surprised on her next trip. We will wait until NZ comes up on Oceania's destinations to book our next "O" cruise. Keep sailing and a toast to you all: ..." absent friends and those at sea"... bless them all.

You also get to experience SMOKE :mad: and formal nights! Enjoy!:)

I am a non smoker and have never experienced smoke on a Seabourn ship after many cruises.

How many trips have you made with Seabourn and did you have any problems regarding smoke?

As for formal nights,they are optional and no need to wear a tux,but the way I see it is that clothes are only clothes whatever the dress code and they either fit or they do not.If they fit then they will be comfortable whether casual or formal.

We sailed on the Seabourne Pride in March 2011. We didn't notice any smoke at any time. I don't like smoke so I'm sure I would have noticed it if it was there. As far as the formal nights, we carry on our luggage so we didn't have room for a suit or tux. Seabourne loaned my husband a jacket (it looked like it was one of the officer's uniforms without the insignias). He had his own tie and pants. It worked out fine. We loved our Seabourne cruise but this year we will sail on the Oceania Marina which we expect to like just as much as we did our last Oceania Cruise.

I am a non smoker and have never experienced smoke on a Seabourn ship after many cruises.

How many trips have you made with Seabourn and did you have any problems regarding smoke?

As for formal nights,they are optional and no need to wear a tux,but the way I see it is that clothes are only clothes whatever the dress code and they either fit or they do not.If they fit then they will be comfortable whether casual or formal.

So glad to hear you were not bothered by smoke. :)

Just spent an hour writing about our experinces on this cruise. Went up in smoke. The 30 second version:

Our longest cruise and I was ready to leave for the first time. No more drooling over those super long cruises.

Food much better than when last on Regatta in 08.

Tonga was forgettable and Lifou was one of our favourites.

Used our cabana for about 3 hours. That's $250/hour!

Mo

Just spent an hour writing about our experinces on this cruise. Went up in smoke. The 30 second version:

Our longest cruise and I was ready to leave for the first time. No more drooling over those super long cruises.

Food much better than when last on Regatta in 08.

Tonga was forgettable and Lifou was one of our favourites.

Used our cabana for about 3 hours. That's $250/hour!

Mo

If you get a chance please let us know about how things were on the ship. Thanks.

You are correct. Those charges are ridiculous. I only knew about the 18% tip (which I mind the least of all the charges) but since we drink so little and bring our own wine on board it has little effect on our bottom line. We never take their shore excursions so that does not matter either. I have a T Mobile have Blackberry that gets me all my email on board for $20 a month pro rated so I never use their absurd internet. I am simply getting around all their ridiculous charges. It can be done.

I am very interested in your experience using your blackberry & T Mobile for inexpensive on-board email access. We have never been able to get access like that with sprint or ATT, on overseas cruises....your experience would almost make it worthwhile to get a TMobile account. Were you just able to log on with your blackberry when you were cruising? Or ashore somewhere? I have wasted so much time searching for Internet cafes as we cruise, I would love a convenient alternative.

I am very interested in your experience using your blackberry & T Mobile for inexpensive on-board email access. We have never been able to get access like that with sprint or ATT, on overseas cruises....your experience would almost make it worthwhile to get a TMobile account. Were you just able to log on with your blackberry when you were cruising? Or ashore somewhere? I have wasted so much time searching for Internet cafes as we cruise, I would love a convenient alternative.

If you have a T Mobile Blackberry (has to be T Mobile and has to be a Blackberry) you can sign up for international roaming for your emails (NOT web access or internet browsing) for a flat fee of $20 per month. It is prorated depending the number of days you are away -- e.g. if you are gone for two weeks, it costs a mere $10. You will get ALL your emails and can send UNLIMITED emails on board ship and on land for that small fee. I am amazed that more folks who travel frequently are not using this incredible deal. It's the reason I stick to my Blackberry. The plan is not available with any other smartphone. If RIM goes belly up I am sunk!

Can't speak to T Mobile but you can typically pick up a signal when in port or if the ship is reasonably close to shore without much difficulty, at least that's been my experience throughout Europe with a blackberry.

Can't speak to T Mobile but you can typically pick up a signal when in port or if the ship is reasonably close to shore without much difficulty, at least that's been my experience throughout Europe with a blackberry.

Every phone with international capability can pick up a signal. And in ports if you go to a Hot SPot and use wifi only you can get email at no cost.

What the T Mobile Blackberry plan does it let you have email ALL THE TIME, on board and on shore without the need to "pick up a signal." For example, on my recent transatlantic cruise with 6 sea days where we were far from land I was never without my email. This was very important when I was working (happily I am 90% retired as of 1/31).

To me, it's a no brainer for anyone who travels as much as we do. I do not have to rely on the "ridiculous" internet charges and the slow internet that is complained of often on these boards.

Every phone with international capability can pick up a signal. And in ports if you go to a Hot SPot and use wifi only you can get email at no cost.

What the T Mobile Blackberry plan does it let you have email ALL THE TIME, on board and on shore without the need to "pick up a signal." For example, on my recent transatlantic cruise with 6 sea days where we were far from land I was never without my email. This was very important when I was working (happily I am 90% retired as of 1/31).

To me, it's a no brainer for anyone who travels as much as we do. I do not have to rely on the "ridiculous" internet charges and the slow internet that is complained of often on these boards.

So is there a charge when you access the ship's service?

That Blackberry/TMobile feature sounds great.

I travel with an iPhone and iPad. In order to access email, I go to McDonald's or Burger King since, sadly, they are in just about any port throughout the world. We have found that, more and more, Starbucks charges for access to their wifi. In the little islands in the North Sea, we found free wifi in tourist offices and libraries. I also buy ATT's international texting plan: 50 outgoing texts for $10. The incoming texts are deducted from your national plan. With this plan, I can text pictures/videos from anywhere in the world, other than the ship, so I am not dependent on finding free wifi. Not as liberating as your Blackberry/TMobile plan but another option to think about.

Amazing ...at $1 a minute or more during a 30 day cruise, I could probably cover the cost of the blackberry & a year of service.

Without a doubt. It is a tremendous program for those of us who travel frequently. I just used it on a two week Safari in Kenya and Tanzania and, with the exception of a few dead spots, I had all my email all the time for $10 total (not too many McDonald's or Starbucks in that part of the world). It worked in the Romanian countryside, Russia, Iguazu Falls -- everywhere but French Polynesia where they do not have any data towers at all.

DH and I were on the same cruise as Judy as well as the one prior to it. We noticed marked differences between the two cruises. I can find almost no fault with the first cruise, Sydney to Auckland, other than a disappointing meal at Toscana. The second cruise, 21 nights with 9 sea days, left a bit to be desired.

Service in Terrace: Some mornings, DH had to fend off waiters as a parade of them kept offering more coffee; other mornings, he couldn't find anyone to even pour that first cup. A couple of times I had my plate pulled from under me as I was holding my slice of baguette ~ clearly not finished. On another occasion I had to bus our plates as no one ever came to clear them. I had observed another passenger doing the same a few days earlier. In short, service in Terrace Cafe was spotty.

Entertainment: Lecturers were informative, although some were a bit dry.

The Regatta cast, which just came on board on Feb. 21, was fabulous ~ hard working, sociable, and clearly loving what they were doing. Most of the performers brought on board (comedians, singers, quirky juggling act ~which I loved~ were quite good, but I was surprised that they were recycled from our first cruise to our second. I would have preferred to have different entertainers from one cruise to the next. Also, since we had many sea days, movies were shown a few times. We never went so I can't address the turnout for them.

Expenses: I do not think that the drinks were overpriced. One can take advantage of the two for one happy hour, which we did once. We preferred to have wine with dinner and found the house white and house red to be of good quality and reasonably priced. HOWEVER, when we brought our own bottle of wine, which we bought at a Tasmanian winery on the first cruise, to dinner in Tapas on the Terrace one evening toward the end of the second cruise, we were informed that we would need to pay a corkage fee. We expected that so it was not an issue. Charging $25 to open a screw top bottle of wine is an issue. We felt like we were being gouged. This is a case of highway robbery, IMHO.

Ship Excursions: The quality varied but the prices were consistently high.

We only had one ship excursion on the first cruise as I had arranged private tours. I guess I ran out of steam in preparing for the second cruise. Also, our TA advised that tourism on the islands was not always reliable so we went with O. Here are some issues that I had:

Whenever I had a question about a port, my query was met with, "I don't know; this is a new port for us." No one ever tried to find out the answer to my question.

The prices charged were much too high. I don't begrudge O making a profit ~ if they didn't, none of us would have the pleasure / experience of traveling with them. However, when I met people who had arranged their own excursions, it became evident that O was making more than a 50% profit on each passenger who signed on. I think that borders on greedy.

Way too many people were taken on excursions. At one port, 81 of us were taken, via one bus and six vans, to a vanilla plantation. By the time the end of the line wound its way through the jungle to the clearing, the guide had completed his little speech and did not repeat it.

Reception: On occasion, I would go to the desk and ask for a second copy of Currents ~ I sometimes cut them up and illustrate my travel journal. I didn't need an extra one each day, so made the request as needed. The young lady behind the desk told me that I could get extras by asking my cabin steward.

To his credit, the young man behind the desk, her colleague, told her that she had the wrong attitude and then he gave me what I had requested.

Concierge: On the first cruise, we had "hooked up" with four other CC couples to share excursions. We wanted to meet for lunch the first sea day to get to know each other. I asked the concierge to send each one a note indicating when we were to meet in the GDR. He was most helpful, insisting that I dictate to him exactly how I wanted the note to read. He took dictation. I was impressed, until I learned that none of the couples ever received a note. Luckily they all remembered the plans from our e-mails prior to the cruise. For the second cruise, I tried to help a CC'r by laying the ground work for a Meet and Greet. While still on the first cruise, I asked the concierge to reserve a corner of Horizons for us. He refused, saying that they will only do that for recognized groups ~ that is, those who book through the group department. However, there were get-togethers posted in Currents for Canadians one night, Aussies another night, etc. I am certain that they did not all book together. However, to his credit, the concierge came through in the end and did arrange for a CC gathering in Horizons. But there should not have been angst along the way.

Computer room: What a frustration! We took the 200 minute plan and spent 150 of them trying to get a connection. The young lady in charge had every excuse: we came during mid-day when others were using the connection; so we took her at her word and tried at 6:00 a.m. or at 11:00 p.m. ~ it made no difference. Then we tried when we were docked in Brisbane. We could not get a connection and were told that it was because there were too many buildings around and they were blocking the satellite connection. I will admit that I am not tech savvy, but these excuses seem lame to me. I think O's system is antiquated and needs to be upgraded and made more user friendly.

Observation: We had one captain on the first cruise who was very visible, out and about and often dining with senior officers in Terrace. Service was excellent. We had a different captain on the second cruise. We never saw him except at the scheduled evening events. I wonder if the lack of his presence allowed the staff to feel that they did not have to exert themselves.

Just thinking out loud.

Please do not think that we were unhappy with our trip; we had a great time and met some wonderful people. It was just that there was such a difference in tone from one cruise to the next. We are signed up for two more cruises, so these issues are not pushing us away, at least not yet. Like Mo, we rarely got to use our cabana, but that is not O's fault. If you know of a cruise line that can control the weather, please let us know.

Sorry that this went on so long; I just tried to be specific and anticipate questions you might ask.

Harriet

We cruised on Oceania December 2011. The cruise was a big disappointment. The dining room service was very slow. Three hours for dinner. Waiters not knowing if they had different teas. We were told by other waiters that many of their experienced waiters were transferred to the new ship Marina.

Lack of entertainment on a holiday cruise. Three entertainers for an 11 day cruise.

A fan blade flying off a fan on the pool deck and crashing into the chair next to mine. This fan had obviously malfunctioned before as it had only four blades when the blade flew off leaving it with three. All the rest had five. I have pictures to document this.

When we complained to Oceania we had no response. They do not want to hear from you or address negative issues. When we finally did get them to respond they kicked my daughter in law and myself off of a future cruise within 9 sailing days. If you want to see that story go to you tube and look up Donslt. You will see a video that was on the local tv station about this issue.

After reading this post you can see why I am not impressed by Oceania and I am very impressed with Azamarra. I have not sailed Azamara but am looking forward to trying them in the future.

We cruised on Oceania December 2011. The cruise was a big disappointment. The dining room service was very slow. Three hours for dinner. Waiters not knowing if they had different teas. We were told by other waiters that many of their experienced waiters were transferred to the new ship Marina.

Lack of entertainment on a holiday cruise. Three entertainers for an 11 day cruise.

A fan blade flying off a fan on the pool deck and crashing into the chair next to mine. This fan had obviously malfunctioned before as it had only four blades when the blade flew off leaving it with three. All the rest had five. I have pictures to document this.

When we complained to Oceania we had no response. They do not want to hear from you or address negative issues. When we finally did get them to respond they kicked my daughter in law and myself off of a future cruise within 9 sailing days. If you want to see that story go to you tube and look up Donslt. You will see a video that was on the local tv station about this issue.

After reading this post you can see why I am not impressed by Oceania and I am very impressed with Azamarra. I have not sailed Azamara but am looking forward to trying them in the future.

Really? What ship were you on?

When I have time I'll look at that youtube video

Archived