How can one keep a Meet & Greet to it's original purpose?

GmaPajama

DH & I attended a M&G arranged by you on the MS Maasdam and it was a fine one! The very best that I have ever attended. Last year I saw what was going on with a MS Eurodam roll call and decided this was not for me to attend. It was all about someone making plans for themselves and others and nothing about just getting together to say hello and talk about "positive" cruising. It's always nice to get with other cruiser's and chat it up for a while. It's nice when someone who is employed by HA shows up but I don't feel that they are there to hear negative's. Why what could ever be negative about a HA cruise??? A few minor things will happen now and then and its about how you chose to let it affect you.

So what are some of the signs that an RC is going bad?

Best M&G I was ever at was on our last cruise on NCL, it was a fantastic group of people. The staff was all very nice and we enjoyed talking with them. Most of them went out of their way to say hi in passing after that. Also at the M&G the Captain announced if everyone wrote down their name and cabin number he would be happy to send out a personal invite to each of us to tour the bridge. It was the highlight of the cruise for my husband.

I've been to meet & greets on several lines. I always say that HALs is one of the nicer.

However, NCL also has a nice one with many officers in attendance. Sometimes the Captain, but almost always the hotel director, cruise director, etc. They all pass out their cards with their phone numbers on them and seem to want to hear complaints. They say that they would rather have the chance to fix any problems while on board rather than reading about them on Cruise Critic.:)

On the Pride of America several officers were in attendance at our Meet and Greet (including the captain and hotel manager). The HM requested that we have another meeting at the end of the cruise for us to provide feedback to them. I was very impressed by that. There were a case or two of people that went on and on about one specific problem; you raised an issue, they heard you and hopefully they will look into it but let it go already.

Having been on only a few cruises I fortunately have not encountered such bad behavior as described. For the organizer to take proactive action by posting expectations/groundrules on the rollcall, or mentioning groundrules in opening remarks or an email to all participants makes sense (especially if individual(s) have shown that on the rollcall forum. I like serendipity's way of stating it- it's classy IMO.

However, if the organizer were to tell me that when giving me ( and others) a name tag, it's a meet and greet and not a complaint fest, I think that feels like making an assumption and a bit offensive. IMO.

~TC

Hi again, I just wanted to interject a few more things here. First off, why would anyone have anything to complain about when they haven't even been on the ship for 24 hours? I don't get that. I know some passengers are mad when they get on the ship and they are mad when they get off but to have complaints in the first 24 hours, wow, now that is troubling.

I always thought that a roll call was for meeting new people of like mind, who we've been in commutation with for let say around 2 to 4 months on our roll call. I didn't realize that roll calls were set up to be tour operators. I mean I can understand why if someone had been in a port and enjoyed a tour they took, talking about it but it goes much further. They set up the tour, negotiate the monies, times, amount of people and book it. Do you think the cruise lines know about the kind of business CC Roll Calls are taking away from their profits. Maybe, maybe not, but when you put it in their face at a roll call meeting , wow, now that is more troubling.

Edited by PathfinderEss

Thanks for starting this thread, I am also of the belief that it needed to be brought up.

I have organized 2 M&G sessions and enjoyed planning each one.

The first roll call was pretty much taken over by someone planning trips and wanting others to go with them. Any trips my DH and I did we planned them through HAL. On the day of our M&G everyone was lookig for the person who planned all these independent tours and they were late coming.

I did post on both roll calls that the M&G was not the time or place to complain, if there were complaints, go to the front desk and then go through the proper channels.

We did have crew members attend each and after I sent each a thank you for attending and those who sent their regrets I also sent them a thank you for thinking of us.

I have had wonderful people attend and then there is always one who likes to take over. I guess I just need to be more assertive or just not do any more organizing.

Helen

Edited by hpf
Hadn't finished when I pushed the wrong key.!!

I can get the issue with complaining, but as I said, I've never experienced that at a M&G -- not on HAL or any other line. However, I'm kind of ambivalent about the private tours issue. So far as I understand, no one is required to book HAL tours in any port. Many folks just go out on their own and do their own thing -- no private tour, just DIY. So in that case, am I not welcome to attend Meet & Greets and give advice to other people asking questions about how to get around a particular port on their own, because I am taking money away from HAL? :confused:

I can get the issue with complaining, but as I said, I've never experienced that at a M&G -- not on HAL or any other line. However, I'm kind of ambivalent about the private tours issue. So far as I understand, no one is required to book HAL tours in any port. Many folks just go out on their own and do their own thing -- no private tour, just DIY. So in that case, am I not welcome to attend Meet & Greets and give advice to other people asking questions about how to get around a particular port on their own, because I am taking money away from HAL? :confused:

The purpose of M&Gs is a social gathering of CC roll call participants. There might be introductions or a few words from officer(s) or CD if they come and sometimes everyone does a quick introduction "Hi, I'm Jemima from _____." Then usually people just mingle and chat. Port plans will sometimes come up in conversations. That's not what this thread is about. The concern is people who turn all or part of an M&G into private tour presentation or discussion. In one M&G one couple took over and went through long descriptions of private excursion choices for each of the 6 or 7 ports.

Edited by Jemima

Hi Donna,

I did not realize that some M&G times turned into gripe sessions. If this happens, the M&G organizer must be prepared to interrupt and state that "This is not the time for such comments. You should take this up privately with the appropriate person."

As you may recall, I was sort of "second in command" for the October Noordam TA Meet and Greet. I think I only briefly interrupted when the Hotel Manager stated "We know we have competition." and I asked "Would you care to name them?" :D The humor seemed to be appreciated.

Bob :cool:

Oh No! I have to say that as a newbie HAL cruiser and a newbie Hal Meet and Greet organizer I am very concerned.

Previously I was worried that the M and G was going to be full of stilted conversation..now I hope it is filled with appropiate ones.

Now I am really kicking myself for doing this.

Denise

Oh No! I have to say that as a newbie HAL cruiser and a newbie Hal Meet and Greet organizer I am very concerned.

Previously I was worried that the M and G was going to be full of stilted conversation..now I hope it is filled with appropiate ones.

Denise

Denise - don't worry - one bad apple does not spoil the barrel. Many, many meet and greets are great. What people are talking about here are the exceptions (and there are not many) not standard practice.

We've enjoyed all of ours. I think they are worth organizing and I am sure you will too:):):)

Denise

I wouldn't worry about it. The way this thread sounds is like this is a common occurance. That hasn't been my experience. I do remember one person "crashing" a m&g on one of my cruises. She saw the sign and thought it was a complaint session. Some people just don't get it and I don't know why others feel the need to aplogize for this behavior.

Denise

Oh, Denise - I'm so sorry if this thread has scared you off. I'd say that 99.9% of the Meet & Greets are wonderful, and you'll not be sorry to have organized one. It's people like you that make these so much fun. The odds weigh SO heavily in favor of a perfect get together - just go and enjoy yourself. Cruise Critic people are the best, and they truly appreciate your efforts. You'll love it!

I think that part of the problem here is the use (misuse?) of the term "cruise critic." Some people see the word "critic" and immediately interpret it in its most familiar connotation as "someone who criticizes or finds fault." But the term "critic" has a broader meaning: "a person who evaluates and makes judgment on both merits and faults" (as in a literary critic or a film critic).

I've been lucky enough to attend many Meet and greets and none have included complaint fests or arrangements for private tours. Most have been fun, people meeting and connecting from role calls, happy to put faces to names, and grateful to have officers attend to answer questions.

Can anyone tell me if there will be a M&G on the Apr. 9 sailing of the Zuiderdam? Have been able to determine if there is or is not to be one. aAppreciate any info. Thanks

Here's a link to your roll call. It's a very active one, and it looks like the Meet & Greet will be a lot of fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1359599

This is a great topic, and not one that has been raised repeatedly. It's made me think a bit more about certain things.

For NoobCruise, in particular...Many folks, myself included, think of the meet and greet as a nice way to put faces with the names we've seen on the roll call while preparing for a cruise. We've done several long cruises now, and this topic has made me more aware that for those who plan private excursions, the M&G is NOT the place to collect funds, solicit new people to join the excursions, etc.

That being said, the roll call IS the place for such things. Some cruisers really enjoy private tours (fewer people, sometimes better pricing, more personal service), and if they want to attempt to get a group of people together for a tour, the CC roll call is the perfect place to say, "We're doing this on our own", give some details of the planned excursion, number of people who can be included, and then ask people to email the organizer PRIVATELY to make arrangements to join the tour. This keeps those not involved in the tour from being caught up in planning emails that are not of general interest to the rest of the roll call.

To reduce the risk of someone getting my email that is trolling for addresses, I always post it in the message as (example only here) nannerbananner at yahoo dot com, rather than writing the email address in the usual way.

On some cruises, we have attended or held separate meetings for groups of up to 16 people who signed up to do a particular private excursion. At that time, we discuss meeting time and place for the port, pay any fees due the organizer, etc. It works really well, and gives those on the private tour another chance to get together and deal with particulars.

This thread has really opened my eyes to the whole issue, and I will try to dissuade folks on the private tours I arrange from in depth discussions at the M&G. In addition to being kind of rude to the cruise line (especially if officers are within earshot), it's exclusionary to have side discussions going about a bunch of private tours during the M&G. That in itself kind of defeats the purpose of the M&G.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance!

I am cruising HAL for a couple of reasons...and the main one is because of the posters here. Thank you !

I would just cringe if anyone complained to any staff during the M and G..and I would feel responsible.

Hopefully, all will run smooth!

Denise

DH & I attended a M&G arranged by you on the MS Maasdam and it was a fine one! The very best that I have ever attended. Last year I saw what was going on with a MS Eurodam roll call and decided this was not for me to attend. It was all about someone making plans for themselves and others and nothing about just getting together to say hello and talk about "positive" cruising. It's always nice to get with other cruiser's and chat it up for a while. It's nice when someone who is employed by HA shows up but I don't feel that they are there to hear negative's. Why what could ever be negative about a HA cruise??? A few minor things will happen now and then and its about how you chose to let it affect you.

Thanks for the kind words Hal lover. We did all have a good time on that cruise and that M&G. :D

This is a great topic, and not one that has been raised repeatedly. It's made me think a bit more about certain things.

That being said, the roll call IS the place for such things. Some cruisers really enjoy private tours (fewer people, sometimes better pricing, more personal service), and if they want to attempt to get a group of people together for a tour, the CC roll call is the perfect place to say, "We're doing this on our own", give some details of the planned excursion, number of people who can be included, and then ask people to email the organizer PRIVATELY to make arrangements to join the tour. This keeps those not involved in the tour from being caught up in planning emails that are not of general interest to the rest of the roll call.

To reduce the risk of someone getting my email that is trolling for addresses, I always post it in the message as (example only here) nannerbananner at yahoo dot com, rather than writing the email address in the usual way.

On some cruises, we have attended or held separate meetings for groups of up to 16 people who signed up to do a particular private excursion. At that time, we discuss meeting time and place for the port, pay any fees due the organizer, etc. It works really well, and gives those on the private tour another chance to get together and deal with particulars.

This thread has really opened my eyes to the whole issue, and I will try to dissuade folks on the private tours I arrange from in depth discussions at the M&G. In addition to being kind of rude to the cruise line (especially if officers are within earshot), it's exclusionary to have side discussions going about a bunch of private tours during the M&G. That in itself kind of defeats the purpose of the M&G.

Thank you for bringing up some very good ways to handle the issues that have been brought up. I plan on adding them to my do's and don'ts in CC Meet & Greet Etiquitte gatherings. I witnessed several of the "transgressions" at several of my previous M & G's and really felt embarrassed by the actions of the "transgressors".

Again - thank you - nanner.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

I have seen times where the officers who attend the M&G have had to deal with compliants or other questions that are probably not appropriate. The interaction with ship persoonnel should not be used as an opportunity to complain about whatever is on your mind. It should strictly be social in nature.

On the excursions, I have never really seen that as an issue, there maybe some minor discussions but that is all I have seen. For that topic I would think a sidebar after the M&G would be more appropriate.

I hope those of us on CC are not screwing up a chance to meet some of the officers by some of these behaviors. I always enjoy meeting them as you will see them many times later. Also they often are treasure troves of useful information.