Autistic 5 year old grandson

On RCI, they will not change diapers or help with bathroom functions.

There is a group called "Autism at sea"....check on the "Family Cruising" boards....they may be able to smooth the way. Lots of helpful info about autism and cruising.

Thank you for your reply - I did a thorough search - but did not really find the answer I was looking for.

My question is this - if we came instantly if he needed a diaper change - would they allow that just through dinner?

Thank you for your reply - I did a thorough search - but did not really find the answer I was looking for.

My question is this - if we came instantly if he needed a diaper change - would they allow that just through dinner?

If it's just for dinner, would it be possible to try in-room babysitting? I used this service when my daughter was younger and not potty trained yet, so I'm positive they changed her diaper. I believe the rule only pertains to the kids club areas (for sanitary issues around other children).

Our kids LOVED the sitter, we ended up using her three times - twice during dinner and once during naptime so we could be out on the deck for glacier cruising. She came equipped with a bag full of toys, a portable dvd player, and a sweet smile. We reserved her on day one thru guest services.

Hello fellow friend!

I found this on the Royal Caribbean website. Maybe this department could offer some advice for your specific situation.

"Other Needs If you have another type of medical condition that has not been mentioned, please inquire about policies and procedures that may affect your cruise. To customize your accommodations to meet your specific needs, please complete the Guest Special Needs Form. For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com , or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us."

With my experence with autism (not tons, but at different levels), my concern would be overstimulation in almost all kids' programs on most mainstream US ships even if you could get past the potty trainng (which I don't think you can). I think in-cabin sitters would be a good idea. You can borrow board games from the kids' programs and maybe if he has something like a DS or Leapster - bring that too.

With my experence with autism (not tons, but at different levels), my concern would be overstimulation in almost all kids' programs on most mainstream US ships even if you could get past the potty trainng (which I don't think you can). I think in-cabin sitters would be a good idea. You can borrow board games from the kids' programs and maybe if he has something like a DS or Leapster - bring that too.

we have an IPAD with which he communicates some of the time, so we will bring that. (It also has games and movies (Sponge Bob etc)).He has been in a mixed pre-school environment and that has given him to adapting to a more social "norm". We are not sure he would/could participate, but the in cabin babysitter sounds wonderful.

Each of my brothers has an autistic child. One of the biggest things, as GordonChick has indicated, is how well he handles changes and the like. An in room sitter sounds ideal. My nephew, in particular, has a great deal of trouble adjusting to change, and just not being at home would be a hardship for him.

Keeping things on the cruise that are familiar to your grandchild are a huge plus. My nephew loves using a computer, and my niece loves her Leapster, I believe it is called.

In room babysitting would probably be the best option for him/her.

Good question! I can't imagine a worse environment for an autistic child than RCI's Adventure Ocean. Honestly, it's an absolute madhouse...and the only way i or out is through the very loud video game arcade full of unsupervised tweens.

As we just experienced on a RCI cruise last week, the Adventure Ocean program is not capable of providing actual child care to any kid over 5. According to the Guest Services Manager on our ship, RCI does not have a staff/child ratio requirement - thus they did not adjust staff to the number of kids. One evening there were 4 staff for 80 kids...and the staff didn't notice the human excrement on the floor until a kid stepped in it and reported it to them -then they chose not to tell any parents about the incident. They simply do not have enough staff to handle kids who need any individual attention at all.

Some people will say that it's great and their kids love it. They are probably the ones who read "Lord of the Flies" as a parenting guide.

We have read the rules for the childrens aquanauts program - but our grandson is not potty trained yet. Does anyone know if there are exceptions to the rule?

Yes, the cruiseline will make an exception for your grandson, here is a link for you that should answer some of your questions.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

Children with Disabilities

Royal Caribbean welcomes children with disabilities, especially in our fun-filled Adventure Ocean program. Upon request, every efforts will be made to provide reasonable accommodations that will meet the needs of children with disabilities. Some of these accommodations can include:

• Adventure Ocean grouping by ability (rather than age)
  • Adventure Ocean toilet-trained policy exception
  • Pagers for parents of children in Adventure Ocean program
  • Baby sitting services

Note: If you have another type of medical condition that has not been mentioned, please inquire about policies and procedures that may affect your cruise.

Definitely contact the cruiseline in advance though.

Yes, the cruiseline will make an exception for your grandson, here is a link for you that should answer some of your questions.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

Definitely contact the cruiseline in advance though.

Thank you for the link - now that sounds more sensible, being with ability age group.

I know this isn't RCI, but we took a Disney cruise 2 years back with our 5 year old Autistic son, he was not completely potty trained either.

We stayed the first couple of times to see how he did in the club, he loved it. Then as the week went on the counselors told us to leave him for 30 min or so, then for longer as they got to know him as well. They would send me a text if he needed bathroom help. I would go and help him and then he would want to play some more. There were some nights where it was overwhelming with too many kids and we would just not leave him but there were several nights were we would be able to have dinner. I would always go and check at least once during dinner though for my own peace of mind. I would suggest going and talking with the counselors and finding a quieter time for your first visits with your GS together.

Good question! I can't imagine a worse environment for an autistic child than RCI's Adventure Ocean. Honestly, it's an absolute madhouse...and the only way i or out is through the very loud video game arcade full of unsupervised tweens.

As we just experienced on a RCI cruise last week, the Adventure Ocean program is not capable of providing actual child care to any kid over 5. According to the Guest Services Manager on our ship, RCI does not have a staff/child ratio requirement - thus they did not adjust staff to the number of kids. One evening there were 4 staff for 80 kids...and the staff didn't notice the human excrement on the floor until a kid stepped in it and reported it to them -then they chose not to tell any parents about the incident. They simply do not have enough staff to handle kids who need any individual attention at all.

Some people will say that it's great and their kids love it. They are probably the ones who read "Lord of the Flies" as a parenting guide.

Excrement on the floor is never good. But looking at your past posts to see what ship you did to see where this all occurred - you were on Freedom of the Seas during Spring break.

I can only imagine the amount of kids onboard then. I would have avoided that ship like the plague! And did you ask for your 8 year old to be moved up to the older 9-11 year old group? I know you probably wanted your boys to be together but moving ages up (not down) can cause problems for the younger one (trying to keep up with the older ones).

Good question! I can't imagine a worse environment for an autistic child than RCI's Adventure Ocean.

WOW!:eek:

My child (9 at the time) absolutely loved AA, and he has nonverbal autism. He stayed in the group with his younger sister and he constantly wanted to go back (even though he is nonverbal he could definitely get his wants and needs across, and he uses an iPod to communicate now.)

His sister is absolutely wonderful with him and likes to be a "helper" to him in situations like this. Since she will be all he has when we die, we encourage her to continue being there for him as she gets older.

Now that was a January cruise with a small amount of children, but we plan on using AA again when we cruise for 7 days this June. Since his younger sisters age group is now five years older, and since there will be more kids, we are not sure how it will work out, but we are certainly going to give it a go, and see how he likes it.

Every autistic child is different. Ours does not have meltdowns with loud areas or crowds, nor does he have to stick to a set routine (thank God!) Please try not to paint autistic children with a broad brush, and certainly try not to disparage parents who might make different choices than you would.

Every autistic child is different. Please try not to paint autistic children with a broad brush, and certainly try not to disparage parents who might make different choices than you would.

AMEN!!!! My soon to be 9 year old autistic grandson is very high functioning. We went on a cruise on Carnival Fascination last October and he had a ball and he wants to "go on the big ship with grandma and grandpa again soon" :) The only issues we had were the safety drill (did not like having to go to lounge and then go out on deck and have to stand and the ships horn blowing) and once in the children's program because we had totally forgotten one of his triggers is movies from 20th Century Fox...he cannot stand the theme song or even hearing the words. Fortunately they did put him in another room with another movie but unfortunately it TOO was 20th Century and his mom got paged to come get him. Once we checked on him he was fine and wanted to stay -- once the opening credits were over! :D I do know you can request from special services a separate safety drill where it is not as loud and overstimulating and we will do that next time we cruise with him.

Archived