Balcony staterooms

If you have the choice would you choose a regular, "hump", or aft balcony?

Why would you chose the hump or aft over a regular room? Any bigger? Quieter?

Thank you for your input!

Some things to consider. Some of the hump balconies are bigger than regular balconies. Look at the deck plans and you can see what I mean.

If you are in one of the center hump balconies, you can see all the way down the side of the ship, front to back.

Aft balconies are definitely bigger than regular balconies and the view of the wake is gorgeous.

If you have a side balcony, you can only see what's on one side of the ship. With an aft balcony, you can see things on both sides of the ship albeit after you have passed it.

If you are lucky enough to grab a corner aft, you can see around the side of the ship a little to see what is ahead of you.

The Radiance class ships have some varying size hump balconies....the cabins are the same size, tho, within a catagory. On Freedom/Voyager class, the balconies are no larger than a side balcony.

The reason the "hump" is so popular is really convenience...steps from the main stairs and elevators. Makes coming and going super-easy...a big benefit because the hallways are extremely long!

I've only ever had regular balconies but I'd love to try an aft sometime soon! The hump balconies aren't as appealing to me because of the high traffic hallway area....

We actually picked the hump balcony on our next cruise because it was on the opposite side from the elevators so I could remember better where we were! Also, I have never experienced any noise in our room from passing traffic - probably because we don't spend a lot of time in our room or we are on the balcony!

Can't beat the aft if you ask me. Had an aft cabin on the Mariner and loved it. Large balcony with 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a full size table. Had breakfast on the balcony without having to do the 'table lookout' in the Windjammer. Took the ipod and listened to our own music and able to sit out and work on that tan, without worries of chairhogs. It was a little farther to the cabin, but the little bit of walk works off those calories and keeps all the noise away.

Definitely go with the AFT if possible.

Juanrod

We're "afters" too. We love that it's so quiet back there and the view just can't be beat. We found ourselves spending a lot of time on the aft balcony with the loungers, chairs and table - very peaceful.

We like the hump balcony cabins. A lot of times the balconies are a little larger, and we like the central location. Never had any issues with noise. Not a fan of the aft cabins since we would rather see where we're headed rather than viewing the wake the whole time. If we can't get a hump cabin, we go with a regular balcony as close to the hump as possible.

Personally prefer hump balcony to an Aft on Liberty which is the only class of ship we've had both (and will again in 41 days!).

Why? Because on Liberty there was a rule in place last year that did not allow loungers on aft balconies, except for suites. Defeats the object of having a huge balcony IMHO. There was also a small soot problem and water from cleaning above.

Also prefer the hump location with being next to the elevators.

Archived