Dawn Princess, your input is requested.

Tess2mommies

There isn't a lot of info on the Dawn princess on these boards, so I have lots of questions. Hope someone can answer.

What are the alternate restaurants on her?

Is the ultimate balcony dinner offered on her?

What deck are the best balconies on?

Anyone stay on the dawn in a balcony that loved their cabin and want to give a recommendation?

What is the best category for a balcony on the dawn?

Has anyone ever done her San Francisco Mexico cruise, if so can you tell me about it?

How is this ship in comparison to the Coral?

Is the dawn a nice ship?

How is the nightlife and shows on the ship?

Is the Mexico itinerary really worth it?

Being from the Bay I know it'll be freezing during the beginning of the cruise, how will the weather be once we hit Mexico?

Any and all details are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-Ice

I considered the Sapphire from La but since I live in San Bruno, decided it wasn't worth the flights and hotel to get on a ship that is alittle newer anda little bigger. A guy who did both told me he would take the Dawn if he lived in SF.

As far as the ports, I have been to all except Catalina island, so they do not excite me. Just looking for a reasonable, easy cruise to do after having done the whirlwind Baltics last year.

Plus you get 10 days. Booking minimum inside and hoping for an upgrade as a platinum member.probably too hot for a balcony anyway on this cruise.

We were on the Dawn Princess the week of 4/4/04. Enjoyed the cruise very much. We stayed in a balcony cabin (B615) on Baja Deck. We liked the location of the cabin and our cabin attendant was wonderful. We did PC dining and enjoyed the experience. Have a wonderful cruise.

We've only been on 3 cruises.The Golden has much bigger balconies,we had one on Caribe.You could actually sun on it on a lounge chair.The balconies on the Dawn are more enclosed and small,like a porch.Only had room for table and chairs.The balconies are still great,only different uses.We had cabin r345.20 steps out the door and you're in the main pool area.It was a great location.Close when they have theme nights also.Close to food and drink,(Horizon was directly above one deck.Didn't hear any noise at all during the night.I'll always go for that location in the future,even if it's an inside cabin.

We previously sailed the Dawn Princess for 10 days last year. Very nice ship and we had a mini-suite on the Baja deck (Baja 404). We did not try any of the alternative dinning options as we were satisfied with traditional main dinning and the Horizon Court buffet. We had morning breakfast delivered via room service and had a couple afternoon snacks also provided by room service and the food was fine. Didn’t try the Pizza but will do so on our next trip which is coming up this Friday from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco via the Panama Canal and as we loved the mini-suite so much we are again in a mini-suite on the Baja deck but on the starboard side so that we can see land from time to time.

The evening shows were adequate but not exceptional. As the longer cruises seem to cater to an older crowd the night life is not as rambunctious as we experienced on the Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise Lines. That could all change with a shorter cruise and different itinerary.

Bottom line is that we loved the ship, the staff and the whole experience which explains why we are repeat cruisers on the Dawn Princess.

There isn't a lot of info on the Dawn princess on these boards, so I have lots of questions. Hope someone can answer.

What are the alternate restaurants on her?

They rope off a small section of the Horizon court at night and call it a Sterling Steakhouse. It lacks ambience, but I can't comment on the food, we didn't eat there. There is also a great pizza sit-down restaurant that is open from around 2-midnight.

What deck are the best balconies on?

They all seem the same to me, (we were in C333), as they are cut into the hull of the ship, rather than sticking off the ship (as on the Golden), they are all covered and enclosed in an almost claustrophobic way. They are okay, but not as nice as many ships.

How is this ship in comparison to the Coral?

Very similar but if the Coral were an "A", the Dawn is only a "B+".

Is the dawn a nice ship?

Sure is. Really beautiful, elegant, and very peaceful.

How is the nightlife and shows on the ship?

We did the Panama Canal on the Dawn in December and at the age of 48, I was among the babies. Really an elderly crowd compared to most of my other cruises, but maybe it was the itinerary. I didn't go to any shows but everyone really seemed to like the comedians and shows. I saw a lot of ballroom dancing in the lounges. There is one lounge that would be considered for the younger crowd but the DJ played a lot of rap in there and it makes my head want to explode. There must be a happy medium between the samba and eminem!

Any and all details are greatly appreciated.

I know you didn't want to hear all that, but you know I'd tell you the truth as I see it:(

If you would like me to copy and mail you some Patters, email me your mailing address.

We sailed on the Dawn in January, and enjoyed her very much. We stayed in a minisuite on the Baja level, and the Cabin was great; much better layout than our minisuite on the Coral, and wonderful bathroom with a whirlpool tub and separate shower. The balcony was not wide, but was very long, and we had room for 2 lounge chairs. It was also very private, and we enjoyed it on the sea days (the balconies on the coral are more open, which is nice for viewing, unless you are in one of the recessed areas). We actually had a balcony double right next door for the kids, and with the partition open, our balcony was really very long.

We found the food to be very good, with some amazing vegetarian selections. We all enjoyed the pizza very much (not to mention the tiramisu in the Pizzaria!). Didn't try the steakhouse, although heard positive reviews.

Overall, the Coral ranks a bit higher on the "wow" factor, and the adults-only pool on the coral is much nicer, but there were certain things we preferred on the dawn -- especially the layout of our minisuite, not to mention the lack of wind panals on the front decks, which made photography and viewing much easier (we are booked on the Coral for the Panama Canal this winter, but would choose the Dawn because of the better forward viewing, if the Dawn did a 10d round trip sailing).

I hear that the aft minisuites on the Dawn are really nice.

we've sailed on the Dawn several times, the latest on 4/9/05.

while she is smaller and older than the Coral, we prefer her to the Coral, mostly because of the balconies.

As others have said, they are "cut out" of the hull of the ship, which really gives you the feeling of being on your own private balcony. When you look out over your railing, you see the sea, the sky, or the sides of the ship, depending on the direction you are looking. On the Coral, when we looked out, we saw the same things, but we also saw the people in all the balconies below us and the people in balcinies near us on the bump outs.

WE generally go for balconies on Aloha and towards the stern of the ship, have never had any problems with noise from above. The most recent ship was the only balcony we would not book again - A620. This was because the "tail end" of the lighted "Princess" sign was positioned just above our balcony. It is lit, so we did not have the greatest visibility for viewing stars from the balcony. Also, when we were in port, not only did we have the normal window washers, but there were also sign painters. Now we now if we sail the Dawn again, not to take A620 or the two or three cabins immediately forward of A620 or the corresponding cabins on the starboard side.

The pizzeria my husband and I didn't like at all - thought the pizza was mostly dough, about 1/8 the normal sauce and 1/4 the normal cheese. One of our friends thought it was great though and ate their 3 times, so go figure ;).

I spent 2 weeks on the Dawn last summer and had a great time.

I love the pizzeria - it reminds me of pizza is Rome. It is a sit down restaurant as opposed to a pizza bar.

As far as the age of people on the cruise, this is usually determined by the destination of the cruise and how long. If the cruise is 14 days, it is going to get an older group. If the cruise is 7 days - you will get people of all ages.

------------

Just some comparisions to Coral princess -

Minisuites are great (very large) on Dawn but very $$$$. While I like these, I can't afford them on the Dawn and there are very few of them.. On the Coral Princess - they are very similiar to the Grand class and I can afford these (plus there are many of these). So depending on what you are lookinng for - either ship can be a plus.

The balconies on the Dawn Princess are very small and are cut from the hull. Some people like this. I prefer the larger balconies on the Coral Princess.

Front viewing and deck viewing is superior on the Dawn Princess. Coral Princess has blue windshields everywhere.

Dawn Princess has a pool with a retractable roof - Dawn Princess really doesn't have anything similiar. They have a small round pool that is covered but the sides are open.

The Coral Princess is my absolute favorite ship (it is the most gorgeous ship Princess has IMO) but I still like the Dawn Princess and would sail it again. The Coral Princess is going to have more modern amenities.

Here are some pics of the Dawn:dawn

Here are some Coral pics: coral pics

Coral, fabulous photos - you are so organized and you must wander around the ship in the wee hours to get so many beautiful shots that are not full of people. I've sailed both the Dawn and Coral and prefer the Coral by just a bit - couldn't go wrong with either of them, though.

Sometimes I think the experience we had on a particular ship colors our image of what's good and bad and which we think was nicer, more attractive, whatever --- not only the specific details, i.e. it's a very subjective call as to which ship is nicer. Maybe I prefer the Coral because DH and I had a more memorable time on that particular cruise. I'd probably say that my favorite ship was my first cruise, the old Pacific Princess --- and in reality the amenities probably don't even compare to the Coral. But as it was our first cruise, celebrating our first wedding anniversary, the experience was magic and influences my preferences.

Anyway --- great photos, BTW, do you have an album of Love Boat pics?

Hi. My husband and I...and my parents sailed in December. It was our fifth cruise and their first. (and our first with princess).

We really liked the layout of the Dawn...missed a few things from various other ships (solarium, thalassotherapy pool)...but liked other things better (lay out of buffets, pools and hottubs...less obtrusive photogs...drink specials). In the end, it was a wash. I think you'll find that with most cruisers. Note here that one gives the Coral an A...while another puts the Dawn on top. It's a personal preference thing...but in the end...none of the Princess/Celebrity are downright bad (or, really, even mediocre).

I agree about the pizza shop. Nice thin crust. light on toppings. more italy than pizza hut. also, if you like wine, they offered two tastings. the second is more expensive, but you get to sample a $180 bottle of Opus One...which was a nice treat. Never tried Sterling. Considered food comparable to Celebrity. Best thing on the buffet--at least for me--was the guacamole. But never went hungry...or even wanting.

Note on rooms. They are smaller than Celebrity, which worried me when we booked, but I truly, truly didn't miss the space. It was eaten up by the balcony, but the interior felt no more cramped than other ships. In fact, the bathroom seemed more functional to me. We were Baja 302..toward the front. We like it there because there is NO foot traffic. I booked my parents into a more expensive room on Aloha, in the center...and it turned out there was a problem I never anticipated: the band. the pool band was above their room...so fuggedabout afternoon naps. They were in Aloha 433.

We were on an 11-day...and it felt like marshall law after 10 p.m. The disco never had more than a 1/2-dozen people. Most bars closed. This, for us, was great. We often had the decks, even the hot tubs, to ourselves. But if you want to cut loose with a crowd, good luck finding one.

Also, menu--like all cruise menus--appears to be geared toward the aging country clubber. No spice. When our waiters found out we missed spice and ethnic eats, we were treated to three nights of special courses--thai (they happened to be thai), mexican and indian. Of all the things we still reminisce over, our waiters -- Mongkul and Dirik --are included among our favorite memories. They not only provided efficient and professional service, but truly reached beyond...however unlikely, they made us feel welcome like family, not necessarily guests. Never had that happen before. (Forever more, my parents are known by what Mongkul called them ---"mummy and poppy" instead of mom and dad. That's how we sign all of our cards and notes. Sigh.

Icebrat001

Sailed the Dawn last March, loved the ship..I prefer a bit smaller ship and the Dawn is the perfect size. A group of us that meet last year will be doing the SF Mexico trip March 10, 2006, We have a roll call started.:D

First as stated the Pizza( free in a sit down area) was great also didn't do the Sterling Steakhouse. Couldn't see the extra charge for steak if there was another alterantive dinning venue I might be tempted, Italian other than the Pizza or Mexican..??

As for "Jammers, the disco" we requested different music and he played it..When people stated to dance to the 80's tunes he played several in a row. Same thing another night with some motown. Just request the music you want, the place isn't that large so he is going to do whatever gets the crowd dancing and drinking!!:D

Saw some of the shows as on any ship some good and some okay..or worse..all reviews are in the perspective of the viewer....We liked Tom Cherry a singer and a Comdian who's name I don't recall..Have also see Kevin Hughes on several ships thought he was great...IMHO

enjoy what ever trip you take...:)

We loved the Dawn and her sisters, the Sun and the Sea. I think they have the best minisuites in the business. You get two separate rooms - one for sleeping and one for sitting separated by a curtain, plus a walk-in closet and the extra large bathroom, which, unfortunately, has only one sink. The balcony is narrow, but long because it covers the width of two balcony rooms.

We have traveled in balcony rooms on Baja and Caribe decks and fell in love with the minisuites on Baja and are now hooked. That said, we enjoyed our balcony staterooms very much and have had a terrific time every time we have sailed.

One thing to be aware of - the Dawn's pool and jacuzzis are not protected by a sliding glass domed roof, so if it is cool, you will not be swimming. If this is important to you, choose a ship that has one.

Next year we have sprung for a full suite on the Sun. This will be our first trip in an aft position on the Sun Class ships. I hope we have smooth sailing. We usually book midship minis.

I have found that prices have come down over the years and if you look hard, you can find bargains. We are paying the same thing for the 10 days in the suite that we paid for 10 days in the mini-suite in 2004.

Bargain times are January and the very beginning of February and the last week in February. There are no kids on school vacation those weeks and they have to fill up the ships. Look for deals on the discounters web sites. A lot of them have booked groups and you'll get a group rate.

Roberta

We had a mini on the Dawn on the Caribe deck all the way aft. Our balcony was huge and even had a small storage shed! The room was beautiful and so was the bathroom. This one didn't have a separate shower, but it had the jacuzzi tub (I used it every day!) and a separate toilet room. Two ways to enter the bathroom, one from the hallway and the other from the bedroom. It also had a long narrow walk-in closet - there were three of us and more than enough room. If I remember correctly, the square footage was around 536.

Shar

Archived