Labor Day Weekend Cruise from Cape Liberty

We are sailing on Celebrity Summit on Sunday, September 2nd. I would imagine traffic will be horrendous that weekend.

Would it be better to just fly in from Chicago the day of the cruise or spend a couple of days pre-cruise.

We are interested in seeing Asbury Park/ Springsteen sites if it's worthwhile. Alternately, we could visit NYC. Any thoughts? Realize I need to get hotels booked soon!

Traffic shouldn't be an issue. The Sunday of a weekend with a Monday holiday actually often has pretty light traffic in the NY City area. It's really at the start and end of the long weekend that has the bad traffic.

But...it's always better to fly in at least a day early if you can...flights can be cancelled or delayed by weather or mechanical issues on any day.

NY City itself tends to be relatively quiet and uncrowded on summer holiday weekends because that's when NY residents like to get away. By all means stay in NY for a couple of days before your cruise if you would like to.

If anything, reasonably priced airline tickets might be in shorter supply than hotel rooms in NY City on Labor Day weekend. Hotels at the Jersey shore tend to be booked up and expensive that weekend.

By the way...and I probably shouldn't say this...but Asbury Park is not a place that I would make the focus of a visit to the area.

yes, but they've done a LOT of fixing up in asbury....and for Springsteen fans who've never been, certainly worth a look....

it's about an hour from the pier..there are hotels in the area that i can suggest if you want.....though it will be expensive.....

i have friends that live there....if you want to email me...i can give you info about the town and such...you'd need a car though you can get there by train...but you're better off having wheels.....

lots of fun places to eat on the boardwalk as well......and probably SOMETHING decent on tap at the Stone Pony.....

mojitomeg gmail (you can probably plug in the rest...just put CC in the subject, or something like that...)

i've lost entirely too many brain cells in asbury!!'

i wouldn't fly in day of....we can find you stuff to do.......

I'm seeing the 4* Jersey City/Hoboken hotel on Hotwire Aug 30-Sep2 for $109 - it's likely to be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, but could also be the Westin or Hyatt in Jersey City. This is a fantastic deal - easy access to NY via bus or Path - great views of NYC from the property - 4* hotel in an exciting location (as opposed to an airport hotel).

I'm seeing the 4* Jersey City/Hoboken hotel on Hotwire Aug 30-Sep2 for $109 - it's likely to be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, but could also be the Westin or Hyatt in Jersey City. This is a fantastic deal - easy access to NY via bus or Path - great views of NYC from the property - 4* hotel in an exciting location (as opposed to an airport hotel).

Wow, thanks...that's a great option. Im not familiar with the area, so didnt realize it was that close to NYC. Im assuming public transportation is the best option to get into the city?

Yup, we booked the 29th thru the 2nd and got the Sheraton. A friend booked the 30th thru the 2nd to be with us and got the Westin, then he booked the 29th and got the Sheraton! Sheraton has ferry access right outside, 7 min to the city. Great reviews on these hotels and locations...very happy!

Oooh! I'm so glad I found this thread. I really didn't want to stay at the Country Inn and Suites with the cruise/park deal but I didn't know where else to look. Voila! I looked into Hotwire and ended up at the Westin, thanks to the good info here. We're arriving on the Friday before our Sunday cruise. Drinks anyone? :D

So glad this is working out for all of you. This is a really good deal - not much business travel to these areas around Labor Day. From all the feedback we get, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these hotels. Be aware that if you have a car, you will get charged to park at these hotels - they are simply too close to NYC to offer free parking. Ferry from the Sheraton is an option weekdays only during commuter hours. Otherwise there is nearby bus service into Port Authority. There is also the light rail to Path - we can provide details on that.

The Westin is close to the Newport Path Station, so you can get service to both midtown and downtown NY. Pull up the Path information - the routes are a bit different on weekdays and weekends.

dln929 and librarylady, maybe we could share a ride to the ship???:rolleyes:

Sounds like a great idea!! Email me!!

I booked through Hotwire this morning for 8-31 to 9-2 and got the Westin, which is one of our favorite chains! Went ahead and booked our airfare too; SW direct to Newark. Figured the airfare is only going to go up. Roundtrip around $250. Don't plan on renting a car, too expensive. Think we will skip the Jerseynshore on this trip and focus on NYC.

Any additional information regarding must- see sights in NYC would be appreciated. I have already reserved our free tickets for the 9-11 memorial.

last time I was in NYC was in the mid 70s, before Times Square was cleaned up;)

So glad this is working out for all of you. This is a really good deal - not much business travel to these areas around Labor Day. From all the feedback we get, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these hotels. Be aware that if you have a car, you will get charged to park at these hotels - they are simply too close to NYC to offer free parking. Ferry from the Sheraton is an option weekdays only during commuter hours. Otherwise there is nearby bus service into Port Authority. There is also the light rail to Path - we can provide details on that.

The Westin is close to the Newport Path Station, so you can get service to both midtown and downtown NY. Pull up the Path information - the routes are a bit different on weekdays and weekends.

I am thrilled at the idea of spending two days pre-cruise in NYC. It's been ages since we've been there. We had been toying with the idea of staying in Philadelphia but believe it or not, a 4* hotel across the water from NYC was at least $25 cheaper per night! And we didn't have to do the Country Inn. :D

dln929 and librarylady, maybe we could share a ride to the ship???:rolleyes:

Sure! Check our Roll Call.

Sounds like a great idea!! Email me!!

I booked through Hotwire this morning for 8-31 to 9-2 and got the Westin, which is one of our favorite chains! Went ahead and booked our airfare too; SW direct to Newark. Figured the airfare is only going to go up. Roundtrip around $250. Don't plan on renting a car, too expensive. Think we will skip the Jerseynshore on this trip and focus on NYC.

Any additional information regarding must- see sights in NYC would be appreciated. I have already reserved our free tickets for the 9-11 memorial.

last time I was in NYC was in the mid 70s, before Times Square was cleaned up;)

WHAT??? SKIP the JERSEY shore?? and you call yourself a bruce fan??? uh..yeah...right..:eek::D

OT are you going to any shows???

For those who are unfamiliar with the Jersey City waterfront and the hotels in the area, here's a short video showing aerial views of the Westin Hotel.

As you can see, the hotel is just one block from the Hudson River waterfront, where you get great views of Manhattan.

I frequently take longish walks in the area. (You can in fact walk along the waterfront via a modern esplanade, with just a few detours inland, all the way from the Sheraton in Weehawken to the famous old Colgate Clock in Jersey City, a distance of just under five miles.) Next time I do, I'll try to remember to take my camera and shoot some video showing the various hotels and their surroundings. I'll put the videos up on YouTube and post links here on CC.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Jersey City waterfront and the hotels in the area, here's a short video showing aerial views of the Westin Hotel.

As you can see, the hotel is just one block from the Hudson River waterfront, where you get great views of Manhattan.

I frequently take longish walks in the area. (You can in fact walk along the waterfront via a modern esplanade, with just a few detours inland, all the way from the Sheraton in Weehawken to the famous old Colgate Clock in Jersey City, a distance of just under five miles.) Next time I do, I'll try to remember to take my camera and shoot some video showing the various hotels and their surroundings. I'll put the videos up on YouTube and post links here on CC.

Thank you! If we had our kayaks with us, we'd be sorely tempted to paddle across to NYC. ;) It's so close!!!

Thank you! If we had our kayaks with us, we'd be sorely tempted to paddle across to NYC. ;) It's so close!!!

Ah, but you can kayak on the Hudson River from Hoboken:

http://www.hobokencoveboathouse.org/

No need to bring your own--they supply the kayak, paddles, & life vests!;)

Similar programs also operate out of Lower Manhattan:

I often see kayaks out on the Hudson during the spring and summer... though, personally, I'd prefer to be aboard this:

Or these:

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6JNhbaQRTU

:):):)

BTW, IIRC, the Hudson is just under a mile wide at this point. But if you found yourself swimming it, it would seem a lot wider!:D

We are also traveling on the Summit on Sept 2, was checking out prices in New York when I saw this.

Thank you for the great info! Me & my girlfriend just booked through hotwire Aug 30 to Sept 2 and got the Westin in Jersey City also. I have never taken the Path for transportation but sounds like we should not have any problems.

Again, Thanks for the tip!

Joanne & Cheryl

We are also traveling on the Summit on Sept 2, was checking out prices in New York when I saw this.

Thank you for the great info! Me & my girlfriend just booked through hotwire Aug 30 to Sept 2 and got the Westin in Jersey City also. I have never taken the Path for transportation but sounds like we should not have any problems.

Joanne & Cheryl

ok so now I'm thinking y'all owe me a drink for this 'heads up'! Glad it's working out so great for all of us!!!:D

Jeani

I'm so glad all of you are getting such good deals at the Westin. Please take time to check out the Path site http://www.panynj.gov/path/. From the Newport Station by the Westin on weekdays there is direct service to either the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan or 33rd St. (Herald Square) in midtown Manhattan. On weekends, they only run the Newark-WTC and Journal Square-33rd St via Hoboken trains. This means that to go to the WTC you have to take a Journal Sq train to Grove St. and walk across the platform to transfer to a WTC train. To go to 33rd St you will take the 33rd St. train but it will stop in Hoboken as well. This is not a big deal, but you should be aware of what's going on.

Look at the map closely. Path makes 3 stops in the Greenwich Village area, so that's good if you interested in that area. You can also split your time between uptown and downtown and still get back to the Westin without retracking your route.

If you're budget travelers, check out the light rail near the Westin. For $2.10/pp you can take the "blue line" to go to 34th St. in Bayonne and call a cab (Bayonne Taxi - 201-339-5000) for about $10 into the port. I've done this - it takes a little longer but not a big deal if the weather is good. On a Sunday morning the train will be empty. If anyone is staying at the Sheraton, the light rail option also applies, but you have to take it to Hoboken and transfer to the Bayonne line.

Joanne & Cheryl

that's awesome; have you joined our Roll Call?

Absolutely: see you in Michaels?

absolutely...they had great entertainment in there on the Infinity!

138east...thanks for the info. When we get to 34 th st station are there taxi's there? How far is it to the cruise port and will they be resistant to do a short run?

What about on our return...can we do something similar to get to JFK?:rolleyes:

Archived