Oceania Pricing - Is This For Real?

Roz

Have taken 13 cruises, with 2 more coming up this year, so I'm no stranger to the booking process. Saw an interesting Alaskan itineary on Regatta for next May, so I thought I'd price it out to see if it would be an affordable option for me. I usually said solo, so I'm used to paying double; no surprises there.

I went to the online site where I usually book, and it showed inside cabins starting at $1,063, so I plugged in the info for a Category G, and it came back with a fare of $8,732. Holy Mother of Pearl! :eek:

So I went to another site I've used and repeated the whole process all over again and came up with the exact same price to the penny. What gives? Are these fares for real? I thought the price would be in the $2,000 range. Any insights anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.

Roz

Have taken 13 cruises, with 2 more coming up this year, so I'm no stranger to the booking process. Saw an interesting Alaskan itineary on Regatta for next May, so I thought I'd price it out to see if it would be an affordable option for me. I usually said solo, so I'm used to paying double; no surprises there.

I went to the online site where I usually book, and it showed inside cabins starting at $1,063, so I plugged in the info for a Category G, and it came back with a fare of $8,732. Holy Mother of Pearl! :eek:

So I went to another site I've used and repeated the whole process all over again and came up with the exact same price to the penny. What gives? Are these fares for real? I thought the price would be in the $2,000 range. Any insights anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.

Roz

Not sure which sailing you're interested in, but doing a dummy booking on the Oceania site for the May 18, 2013 7 day sailing round trip from Vancouver, the fare for a category G with one person in the cabin is $2,126.00 - exactly what the advertised fare said it would be.

That fare is without airfare (O is giving a $1,200.00 airfare credit) and a $500.00 "bonus" and without O's transfers or travel insurance.

I'd suggest either booking on line directly with O on their site, or using another online TA.

Cruzmaven,

Thanks for the info. I checked to make sure I was looking at the cruise fare only, and that was correct. Oceania's website showed a base price of around $1,700, which is why I looked at the two online sites. I have a live agent at each of the online sites I use, so I'll probably just call them directly if I decide to pursue this.

Roz

Roz

Looks like they are quoting the brochure rates (air included)

I would look on the O site or call your TA direct

That's probably it - brochure rates. Why would they do that? I find it odd that the cruise line allows online TAs to show a lower (realistic) fare, but then when you go to book, it reverts to the brochure rate.

Roz

Oceania discourages internet TA's from discounting their cruises on line. You will have to either email them with you requirements or call them.

Many internet TA's will give you a rebate on the amount or discount which for me is a better deal than OBC or free insurance.

Your TA can also quote the fare without the "free" air fare.

Oceania discourages internet TA's from discounting their cruises on line. You will have to either email them with you requirements or call them.

Many internet TA's will give you a rebate on the amount or discount which for me is a better deal than OBC or free insurance.

Your TA can also quote the fare without the "free" air fare.

I just love the picture of your beautiful Dobie!:D

Archived