Another US Airline declare chapter 11

scottbee

Most people have never heard of 9E/Pinnacle Airlines, but they declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection yesterday. They operate a lot of flights for Delta and have a significant fleet of 200ish CRJ-200 and -900s. This probably won't mean anything for the flying public, and Delta have already offered a bunch of financing, but it's still worrying. Check your tickets for "DELTA xxx - Operated by Pinnancle"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/business/pinnacle-airlines-files-for-bankruptcy-protection.html

If it was a Chapter 7 it would be big deal. Chapter 11 is for reorganization; chapter 7 is for liquidation. Big difference. There may be some flight changes and rearrangement of flying for DL, but I doubt if the changes will be anything more than what you might normally get with booking DL more than 6 months out.

one of my return legs from our oasis next month is operated by pinnacle....expedia has given me no notification of flight change yet. Here's hoping. :)

Odds are nothing will change. As mentioned earlier, Chapter 11 isn't a big deal from a customer POV. I've flown American tons of times since they entered Ch11, as recently as yesterday, and never noticed anything...actually, I've noticed service has been a bit better than usual for whatever reason. Certainly no schedule changes as a result in my instance.

...actually, I've noticed service has been a bit better than usual for whatever reason.

Simple...jobs will probably be cut. A customer complaint (justified or not) wouldn't be a good item in the employee file. Employees who felt "entitled" suddenly have a sense of job mortality. The same thing happened at United...in the 90's when it became employee-owned, the employees and unions pretty much looted their company. The BK and mass layoffs post-9/11 ended that.

Simple...jobs will probably be cut. A customer complaint (justified or not) wouldn't be a good item in the employee file. Employees who felt "entitled" suddenly have a sense of job mortality. The same thing happened at United...in the 90's when it became employee-owned, the employees and unions pretty much looted their company. The BK and mass layoffs post-9/11 ended that.

Yeah that was my thought as well, I just didn't have facts to back it up so I wasn't willing to throw it out there. But, I do agree with you.

Before, most American flights had decent service with a few having great service. In the 25 or so AA flights I've flown since bankruptcy, it's been the other way around - mostly great, with a few decent. This has been both domestic and international, both coach and first classes.

Funny thing is that I always say BA service as better than AA; having flown both internationally in the last two months, I have found it the other way around. Ah the times they are a changin'.

one of my return legs from our oasis next month is operated by pinnacle....expedia has given me no notification of flight change yet. Here's hoping. :)

Have you thought about actually checking your flights yourself?? Or will it be just wait for someone else to tell you? You do know you can do that...right?

I checked my flights today because we fly delta and I know we've used Pinnacle before. Luckily this time we are using comair and expressjet.

I know if your flight is through delta they are going to have to help get you a new flight since you booked with them, however it doesn't mean it will be a time you want it to be!

I know if your flight is through delta they are going to have to help get you a new flight since you booked with them, however it doesn't mean it will be a time you want it to be!

But as already pointed out, it's very likely that nothing will change for most pax.

Archived