Designing a cruise ship....

jakeHOU97

What would you like to be focused on in a new cruise design?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to be focused on in a new cruise design?

• More Food options
    • More outdoor options (slides,zipline,ect.)
    • Shopping
    • Ship's Decor
    • Expanding size of current public places
    • Cabin Amenities/Size
    • Entertainment
    • Guest services
    • Other

•  
  • Employ your own photographers, not contract, with their own studio area for photos at any time of the day, even with a small outdoor deck area. On the same lines, offer a prepaid photo package with every photograph you pose for on a disk with one set price(like in Disney Parks). $100 for the disk depending on length of cruise. Print them at home.
  • I like the rotational dining. Design several different MDR so you rotate dining rooms along with the menu and you keep your same servers and tablemates throughout the cruise.
  • offer a Dave and buster type lounge (where the games are included in the price)
  • an indoor straw market selling samples of local merchandise to the ports you are going to so if you have booked an excursion, you won't miss buying a souvenir.
  • Design a walkway over some of the working areas of the ship for tours, ie galley, bridge. That way you are never in the way but can see how the ship is run without actually being in a crew area and disrupting their work.
  • a lounge that plays music you can slow dance to. No club music, just slow, dance music with a nice dance floor.
  • more outlets in the room in convenient locations and make it to where we can hook up our laptops/cameras to the in room tv.
  • a bathtub..adult sized would be AWESOME after a day of walking around port(uses less water than a shower, too)

Better designed public spaces to divert crowd than what they have now;

better entertainment;

better decor (let's hope Breeze is bringing it in);

more food options;

more adult sports activities instead of just fancified water slides;

oh and solo cabins.

I voted "Other" (although perhaps it could have gone under Cabins)

Single cabins 100 sq ft like NCL would be good.

I am not into gimmicks....if I want all that, I will go to the mall or a theme park.

I like the way Carnival directs everyone's attention OUTWARD to the sea instead of INWARD to the gimmicks...so I would stay with that design.

One of my favorite parts is eating breakfast on the back deck- was recently on a ship where there was no back deck (other than the walking track) and I really missed it.

Another idea is to ensure there are no poles in the theater that obstruct the view- some ships have them and some don't (I am sure this is support oriented but if some don't have it....???)

Just my 2c:p

I agree the last two ships we were on had no open back area. The Destiny had a pool covered so it was always hot and humid and we never wanted to eat around the pool.

Would love to eat out at there in the mornings and watch the waves go by, so relaxing.

- More Hotel-styled staterooms (nicer/bigger bathrooms, wider and more amenities)

- Have the Option of a King or Two Double/Queens (like in Hotel Rooms)

- Lighter and More Modern Atrium

- More Specialty Restaurant, partially with sea views

- A Cirque De Soliel type show, adjusted for a cruise

- S&S Drop Tower shooting from the bottom of the ship to above the sun deck (near the waterworks)

- A Watercoaster (like the one on Disney Dream, more thrilling)

- A larger theatre for broadway type shows)

- How about a small styled wave pool like the one you find at water parks

- Adults only area with Infinity pool looking over the front on the ship

- More Slides like the Green Thunder on the spirit

-Lazy River!

- Rotating restaurant on top on the ship

- An Indoor promenade with giant windows facing out to the ocean

- A Venetian styled waterway travelling through various shops and restaurants

- An aquarium wall

- A Larger Water Playground, similar to the ones at water parks

- More open spaces (impossible with all the activities ;) )

- An outdoor park which HAS sea views

- An outdoor tram that transports guest from one end of the ship to another

- A teens only outdoor area (similar to the one on the dream)

- Larger Pools

- A waterbased Obstical course, which could be changed throughout the cruise (used for leisure and also competitions for prizes)

- Ships on Prize shoes i.e Price is right, Deal or No Deal, Risk it all etc...

- Overall i'd like to see it bigger than the dream, with more of a Royal Caribbean type exterior (maybe 160,00gt+)

thats all for now, good luck, can't wait to see your design

Not asking for much, are ya? :D

I want MOTOCROSS and I want Monster Trucks too.

How? I don't care, I just want em. :)

• 1 month later...
Better designed public spaces to divert crowd than what they have now;

better entertainment;

better decor (let's hope Breeze is bringing it in);

more food options;

more adult sports activities instead of just fancified water slides;

oh and solo cabins.

I think the decor will be better with the new interior designer, I have not seen the Breeze in person, but the pics of her new decor is good

Carnival Star

Carnival Wonder

Carnival Jewel

Those are all can come up with now.

Deck names are a little more tricky...

I recently read that the decks on the Concordia were all named after countries (the ship was meant to bring peace among Europe and represent unity...or something like that:rolleyes:). I think it would be interesting if all the decks followed a particular theme. Just a though.

How about some original names and not reused names from other lines. Let's keep on the Sunshine type names and go with Moonbeam? LOL

How about some original names and not reused names from other lines. Let's keep on the Sunshine type names and go with Moonbeam? LOL

I could sunshine like ships and have a New "Sun Class"-Carnival Sun, Sunshine, Sunrise, Sunset

mine would be designed like an air craft carrier with an old time amusement park on top. and a pool like the vegas resort hotels. lots of neon light. a real projection style theatre like the old drive ins. all real trees and grass, none of the plastic stuff. a driving range and skeet shoot w/ the new water soluable balls and clays. and a permit like disney has to shoot fireworks off the deck.

ugh no amusement parks! Maybe a SINGLE water roller coaster, but its a relaxing, yet fun, CRUISE. No carnie games. Less shopping for trinkets but more "outlet" style shopping. If I wanted souvenirs from port I can get within a few minutes off the ship. No ferry crossings. That is A LOT of water wasted and it would be very difficult to even put this into a cruise. I don't like go carts, but I know they are very popular. I suggests having like a ski-lift that goes AROUND the top deck, so that way it doesn't interfere with anything else on the deck. I saw a private yacht once that had these really cool hammocks that could be suspended over the ocean. That would be cool for balconies. A BBQ restaurant! A Starbucks or similar type coffee bar. A few suggestions for stores would be : Coach Outlet, Cosmetic Company Outlet, Sunglass Hut, ect. But make the stores SMALL. I would much rather have a lot of little stores rather than a few big ones. Instead of twenty of the same shirt hanging in the store, make stores more of a "display case" and instead have purchases delivered to rooms. Pet Camp! For those who want to keep their pooch or cat with them, but can't bring them to public areas (pool, spa, food areas, shopping).

ok, If we are adding decks then we need to add a fishing deck. Should be the lowest public deck so we can all fish off the side or Back. (Just dont get your line caught in the propeller, capt wont be happy!)

On the same deck they could launch jet skis and Ski boats.

ok, If we are adding decks then we need to add a fishing deck. Should be the lowest public deck so we can all fish off the side or Back. (Just dont get your line caught in the propeller, capt wont be happy!)

On the same deck they could launch jet skis and Ski boats.

I could open up the aft of deck 0!

ugh no amusement parks! Maybe a SINGLE water roller coaster, but its a relaxing, yet fun, CRUISE. No carnie games. Less shopping for trinkets but more "outlet" style shopping. If I wanted souvenirs from port I can get within a few minutes off the ship. No ferry crossings. That is A LOT of water wasted and it would be very difficult to even put this into a cruise. I don't like go carts, but I know they are very popular. I suggests having like a ski-lift that goes AROUND the top deck, so that way it doesn't interfere with anything else on the deck. I saw a private yacht once that had these really cool hammocks that could be suspended over the ocean. That would be cool for balconies. A BBQ restaurant! A Starbucks or similar type coffee bar. A few suggestions for stores would be : Coach Outlet, Cosmetic Company Outlet, Sunglass Hut, ect. But make the stores SMALL. I would much rather have a lot of little stores rather than a few big ones. Instead of twenty of the same shirt hanging in the store, make stores more of a "display case" and instead have purchases delivered to rooms. Pet Camp! For those who want to keep their pooch or cat with them, but can't bring them to public areas (pool, spa, food areas, shopping).

Pet camp is a cool idea, but some people are allergic, and housekeeping may get p.o'ed after picking up poop, ect.

I REALLY love the display case store idea! It would save room for other things!

The Hammocks may be dangerous :eek:

A starbucks would be really easy thing to do

Solo cabins. Not small solo cabins but quit with the 200% junk.

This gets my vote!

Also, while you are designing the ship, you might as well go ahead and devise a FAIR point system for the loyalty program. Put a point system in place that is based on the price of the cabin (and reward solos for whatever the supplement may be), money spent on board, and days cruised. Perhaps some of the on board games could offer points as prizes!

To continue thinking outside the ship-box, offer real rewards to loyal customers at various levels! VIP boarding, a free dinner in the steakhouse, a free spa treatment, a free excursion, x-number of free pay per view TV movies, X % off next cruise, X $ on board credit for next cruise, etc., to think of just a few.

I know a loyalty program is off topic, but if you are going to revamp things, then perhaps you should make sure you'll have repeat cruisers to pay for all these magnificent, expensive suggestions.

Forgot to add that it would be nice to have "free" drink stations, as well as the 24/7 ice cream machines, on each deck. It is a pain to have to go to the Lido from wherever you may be for a glass (or should I say half glass!) of iced tea or lemonade. So having these stations somewhere on each deck would be great.

I'd like a Roller coaster that starts on one end of the ship and ends on the other. Maybe passing through a deck or three.. :)

How about a pool with a real beach end? Sand and all, that would work for me.

Ok this is fun, will be thinking for days what to include.

I have some ideas:

- A zero entry, beach styled wave pool (a big one)

- A (silent) tram system that could stop right outside your balcony

- Bigger/less staterooms to rival hotels (with proper bathrooms)

- Make it cheaper to run by usually alternate energy source

- Large, Adult water slides

- A large theatre/arena that could hold proper Cirque De soliel type shows

- Stabilisers on each side of the ship to make it more sturdy

- Adequate amount of pools

- A Lazy river that goes around the promenade deck and features glass walls to the ocean

- Inside Promenades looking out to the ocean

- Staterooms that feature Large, single-glassed panel views

- Hammocks on Balconies

- Plunge pools or spas on suite balconies

- More cool 2/3 bedroom family suites

Archived