On non formal nights can men wear nice shorts to dining room?

imfun888

Sorry to say that shorts are NOT allowed in the main dining room, even though, some people have snuck in on occasion wearing them. On our last Princess cruise, an argument erupted with a cruise couple who wore shorts and the dining room staff. However, the couple lost the argument, and, as mad as they were, were sent to eat at the upstairs buffet.

Everyone probably has a different opinion of this question, so you might get several different answers, but from what I've read in previous posts on this same subject, most people feel you dress the part as requested by the cruise line for the dining room, and if you want to wear shorts, even nice ones, eat upstairs.

Nice shorts and a polo? We are sailing in five days...so excited!

I don't think shorts are allowed in most of the Princess dining rooms on any night. Some have gotten away with it but you sure don't see it too often. One member of our group completely forgot to change and was turned away at the door. His wife came in while he went back to the room to change. I have read posts that have said they have seen shorts in the MDR but I have not. You can always go to the buffet if you don't want to change. We do that for the Captain's night as my DH doesn't want to bring a jacket along. You are sure to get a lot of different replies to this...huge debate on what is appropriate for dinner in the Main Dining Room.

Sorry.....pants at dinner. I did see a few men try last week......the first night they got away with it...... but were turned away after the first evening.

The first night they are very relaxed on dress code as sometimes luggage hasn't been delivered to the rooms.

First night maybe because of the luggage (though my hubby would never NOT have an extra outfit including long pants -- too many times having the spare needed!). After that I think the friendly M'D would be asking you to change or go to the buffet. Fitting -- long pants are not to much to ask;.

The first night they are very relaxed on dress code as sometimes luggage hasn't been delivered to the rooms.

Yes, its happened to me...luggage was late the first night...they understood. :)

Princess' Cruise Answer Book discusses Smart Casual as what one would wear to a nice restaurant at home ... further, it suggests skirts/dresses, slacks and sweater for ladies and long pants and an open-necked shirt for men. It goes on to say that inappropriate dinnerwear (pool and beach attire, ball caps, frayed jeans, shorts) are not permitted. So, no, shorts are a no-go for Smart Casual dinner.

So, on the fifth night, non formal evening, would the Princess definition of smart casual include Costco dockers, or is dark denim allowed?

Apparently jeans are permitted ... as long as they aren't frayed and don't have holes in them.

Unless someone has eczema or is intent on showing off truly gorgeous legs, I'm not sure why anyone would want to wear shorts to the MDR, anyway. It can be frigid in there.
:) I also have to wonder about the fact that often, the waitstaff is dressed better than the people they're serving. Just saying...

unless someone has eczema or is intent on showing off truly gorgeous legs, i'm not sure why anyone would want to wear shorts to the mdr, anyway. It can be frigid in there.

:)

:) i also have to wonder about the fact that often, the waitstaff is dressed better than the people they're serving. Just saying...
:)

What if the dockers are frayed after all that the activity?

Can we wear a very nice dark denim?

Don't give the color or condition of your jeans a second though. It's the frayed threads & holes of the designer jeans that they're referring to, all others are acceptable.

As far as shorts are concerned on some ships they will look the other way in the evenings but most will not allow then. It all depends on the Maitre D' & head waiter.

What is good is that on the first & last evening they are acceptable. :D

There is a note above the daily menu that advises if it is formal or neat casual. On neat casual nights, it stated that shorts are not acceptable. Clean jeans, black or blue, we're allowed.

There is a note above the daily menu that advises if it is formal or neat casual. On neat casual nights, it stated that shorts are not acceptable. Clean jeans, black or blue, we're allowed.

But only if they're "Nice".:p

Thanks I will have to pack my husband some extra pants. What I think is weird is that I think docker shorts with a button down or a polo looks nicer than jeans...but of course that is just my opinion:)

Good to know dining room is freezing! My teenager has a few strapless dresses.

Thanks everyone!:p

I am going to wear what is required, and go elsewhere on 'formal' nights; but I wish our entire world society could just get over judgementalism based or people's surface features; be that skin color, clothing, or any physical appearance.

Just sayin'.

Doug

Archived