Attention all Salty Dogs (seasoned cruisers) what is packed in your carry- on?

plumeria

It has come to my attention that many of you Salty Dogs (seasoned cruisers) carry on luggage, I assume you have checked luggage also. What are the essential things you put in your carry-on

Thanks

Plumeria

Underwear, socks, and clean shirts (and Wine of course :)).

Seriously, flew to Sweden one time and the bags showed up a day late. After an overnight flight, not having clean clothes was a real drag.

Even though we go in a day early on cruises, having these necessities are a must.

Hi:) My carryon holds cosmetics, jewelry, shoes, and clothes. I always arrive a day ahead. Example, when I sail from FLL and go down on Friday there is an outfit for Friday evening (for dinner~something casual). Also a pair of shorts and top for sail day:D so, the extra pairs of undergarments are in there too;) and a t-shirt to sleep in, and yes, one outfit for the first night's dinner on the ship.

Oh in the slots of the carryon I put 2 paperback books.

As soon as I board the ship I find my cabin and unpack the carry on!

From a guy's perspective:

Two things:

One:I always carry toiletries/meds/jewelry/documents/cameras and my tuxedo. I always wear a blazer, khakis and a dress shirt when traveling, so that leaves me with two kinds of outfits just in case. Other stuff can be more easily and less expensively replaced (they always have inexpensive ties in the gift shops!), but I'll be darned if I'm going to be in chinos and a golf shirt on formal night! I do have this neat trifold suit carrier that's the size of a carry-on and holds all the other stuff mentioned in outside pockets. Inside there are pockets for all the accoutrement for formal night. Oh, and a swimsuit, so I don't have to swim in my tux!;) (Well I did once, but that's another story:eek: )

Two: we always "cross-pack" between our two suitcases and two rolling garment bags, so that if they lose a checked bag, we still have SOME of each of the clothes we need.

If you are going to bring any alcohol on the ship, I usually put it into other bottles. I use plastic bottles and then wrap them well in plastic bags. (In case it somehow G-d forbid leaks - happened once, wasn't pretty.) Not that I'm cheap but somehow paying all that moola for a drink drives me a little stir crazy. We do buy some on the ship, wine with dinner, at the shows, etc. But now I'm rambling...

I always keep the things I can't replace or do without in my carry-on, like:

Two complete changes of clothing with one pair of shoes

Medicines and vitamins and first-aid items

Hair dryer

Curling Iron

Nightgown

Cosmetics

Shampoo, hairspray and soap

Extra pair of glasses and sun glasses

I keep my jewelry in my purse along with any prescription meds

We pack our beach bag in an outer zipper compartment of one of our pieces of luggage that gets checked. Then we ask the cab driver on the way from the airport to the pier to stop at any handy store to buy soda pop or any other drinks we want in our cabin. I would never buy wine, etc at home and carry it all the way in my carryon.

Instead of a purse, I carry a tote bag as my personal item on the plane. You can get more in a tote bag, and I never carry a purse on the ship. Hubby carries my lipstick.

US airlines don't weigh carry-ons and therefore it's easy to pack all the essentials and some not-so-essentials in a carry-on bag. European airlines, however, have a habit of weighing carry-ons at check-in and tend to be rather strict about their 13 pound (8 kilo) limit. There's not a heck of a lot you can put in your bag before you reach the limit, and before the airline insists you check your carry-on. We had this problem with Virgin Atlantic last year and ended up having to check our carry-on and hoping it would arrive when and where we did. We're flying to London next week to cruise on Constellation out of Dover and are wrestling with what is an absolute must to carry-on and what we can do without should it be packed in checked baggage that doesn't reach our destination when we do. The sad fact is, everything we usually carry on with us is a must have. Oh well.

We had this problem with Virgin Atlantic last year and ended up having to check our carry-on and hoping it would arrive when and where we did.
Funny, we flew on Virgin last year to meet the Constellation in Dover (Have fun!) and didn't have any problems(?) Luck of the draw, I guess. My carry on has a shoulder strap, and I carry it in such a way that you can't see the bag from the front, just the strap, so maybe that's why they don't stop me. But I did have that happen in Rome flying between European cities, so I'd take your advice especially flying intra-Europe.

If these regulations get any tighter, I may have fly WEARING MY TUX!:D

Archived