Does anyone know what deck goes around the whole ship that you can use for running?

imfun888

Depends on the ship - I'm sure someone can give you accurate info if you mention which ship you are interested in.

I know the Promenade deck goes the whole way around the Island & Coral but don't know the distance.

I believe they limit running to certain hours (like after 8am).

Be aware that there are a few stairs involved in making the complete circuit and not every ship has this, The older ones and the small ones do not have the covered deck around the bow.

Other than that, it beats the heck out of the small running track that is located elsewhere on the ship.

On the coral 3 laps = 2.8 miles hope this helps it's posted on a sign on the deck.

Are you sure? The ship is just short of 1000 ft long and about 100 ft wide which would make one full lap less than 1/2 mile.

Perhaps you meant that 2.8 laps would equal a mile?

Actually, I think the Island and Coral are the only Princess ships with a complete, single-deck walk. Diamond and it's sisters have the complete circle but must use steps up to next deck and back down. I do not know about others.

All that is especially sad to me, who is a lifelong hiker and ALWAYS tries for a morning walk. Often that is about 2AM when i cannot sleep. Sadly, I think the old tradition is dying from ships being more full of cabins [pay-passengers] and shops.

Give me a cruise ship with a good continuous promenade and an all-night buffet and I could sail without concern for itenerary [sometimes].

Doug

Actually, I think the Island and Coral are the only Princess ships with a complete, single-deck walk. Diamond and it's sisters have the complete circle but must use steps up to next deck and back down. I do not know about others.

All that is especially sad to me, who is a lifelong hiker and ALWAYS tries for a morning walk. Often that is about 2AM when i cannot sleep. Sadly, I think the old tradition is dying from ships being more full of cabins [pay-passengers] and shops.

Give me a cruise ship with a good continuous promenade and an all-night buffet and I could sail without concern for itenerary [sometimes].

Doug

The old Sun class ships have aa full promenade deck.

On the Grand class ships it is something like 2.5 times round = 1 mile. There are stairs at the front up to the raised bit, but they aren't hard to get up.

On the Crown, Emerald and Ruby they have a quite pathetic dedicated jogging track up on deck 19, but it is so small it is something like 16 times round = a mile. I would get dizzy after a while running round that thing, so it is better just to use the prom deck.

When you're running on the Promenade deck watch out for the many people who use it to promenade (walk), and stop and gaze at the ocean. :)

The promenade deck is not designated for running, hence it is called a promenade deck. Most ships have a running track on the upper levels. Running on the promenade deck is dangerous for the runners and the promenaders. A brisk walk OK, running NO.

When we were on the Emerald in January I used the running track on Deck 19 several times. Yes, it is small, 16 times around = 1 mile, but I didn't feel comfortable on the Promenade Deck because there were quite a few people out walking and it just seemed rude to continually be running past them (not to mention a bit dangerous as some of the walkers were elderly). I suppose it would depend upon the time of day you were out there, I know my stepdaughter and other entertainment staff use the Promenade deck to run on, but they may do it at times when it isn't crowded. I didn't think the running track was too bad, it DOES get hot up in the sun all the way up there, but I managed to get several two mile runs in.

All the Grand-class vessels (except for the Diamond/Sapphire) do not have wide Promenades. Joggers have to basically dodge around the folks that are using the Promenade for its intended use...

When you're running on the Promenade deck watch out for the many people who use it to promenade (walk), and stop and gaze at the ocean. :)

I agree - it is not intended to be a jogging track. Not only do people like to walk, stroll(ers) etc, but they like to sit and read, nap, listen to the ocean - all peacefully, without the noise of joggers. It's also annoying to have to continually get out of the way of people 'coming thru'!! :(

I agree - it is not intended to be a jogging track. Not only do people like to walk, stroll(ers) etc, but they like to sit and read, nap, listen to the ocean - all peacefully, without the noise of joggers. It's also annoying to have to continually get out of the way of people 'coming thru'!! :(

toberman is correct...jogging (or running) is not meant for the Promenade Deck.

The sports deck is simply too short for "real" jogging or running.

The treadmill is your best option. However, some limit the use to 1/2 hour (if crowded). Best time to use the trreadmill is in the afternoon or just before dinner.

I know this is a Princess site/thread...perhaps if you are really a serious runner...you may consider either the Oasis or the Allure of the Seas...two laps around its Olympic style track is 1 mile...best jogging/running track I've ever seen on any ship. :)

AllureTrack1.jpg.4fe8cd8fe64d336257cf412a2442b164.jpg

AllureTrack2.jpg.2e0ff1651c3fa29ca87e079b8bc395dc.jpg

The promenade deck is not designated for running, hence it is called a promenade deck. Most ships have a running track on the upper levels. Running on the promenade deck is dangerous for the runners and the promenaders. A brisk walk OK, running NO.
Is this your opinion or are there signs now that specifically say "no running"??

How exactly is a jogger noisy?:confused:

Is this your opinion or are there signs now that specifically say "no running"??

How exactly is a jogger noisy?:confused:

Have you ever had a cabin below the promenade deck - Noisy when running or 400 pound people clomping! It is also intruding on those using the promenade deck to promenade!

On the Grand Princess Promenade deck there is a sign that says "no jogging until after (I believe 9am). I don't jog so didn't pay that much attention to the time. Did find several jogging around the deck at 8am.

I don't mind the joggers. We like to walk 3 miles every morning on the Promenade Deck and we just keep to the outside so they can pass us. Somebody who is running at full speed is another story - I watched a guy on Oosterdam nearly mow down people as he sprinted around blind corners.

And it really peeves me when people spread out so we can't go by them easily. What's the point in that, other than spite?:mad:

Clomp... clomp.. clomp....
Well....walkers can clomp too, so if you really seek complete peace perhaps a balcony cabin may work best.

Have you ever had a cabin below the promenade deck - Noisy when running or 400 pound people clomping! It is also intruding on those using the promenade deck to promenade!
No, I never had a cabin below the promenade deck nor will I ever but thats neither here or there. There is no restriction from running on this deck so clearly a runner/jogger is NOT intruding on others.

Most ships have a running track on the upper levels.

Most means more than half, so your statement is accurate.

However, the running track was removed and not replaced on the following ships so that the Sanctuary could be installed: Diamond, Sapphire, Golden, Star, Grand, Caribbean

On those ships, the Promenade deck is what the ship says to use to run.

Also, the jogging track on the Crown, Ruby, and Emerald is a joke, with a location which is often closed because it is too windy to be there. Also, it is so small that it is 16 times around it to equal one mile.

The only ships which have a decent jogging track are the Ocean and the Pacific.

No, I never had a cabin below the promenade deck nor will I ever but thats neither here or there. There is no restriction from running on this deck so clearly a runner/jogger is NOT intruding on others.

True, but with smoking no longer allowed in cabins or on balconies, the port side of the Promenade deck has become a smoker's paradise.

However, this gives the true athlete jogger a change to practice holding his/her breath for several hundred feet while jogging past the smokers.

Archived