The "MUST" pack on a cruise

And that's sufficient to get on and off the ship???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, the ships' crew advise you not to take your passport ashore. These days passports have become more valuable than money in many cases. We make a COLOR copy, carry that and the ship's on shore representative's info (which can be obtained from the front desk or in the Capers on Carnival) for contact in case of an emergency.

Having a COLOR photocopy can speed things up greatly if you should miss the ship or have an emergency.

We always leave our passport in the safe when on a cruise.

Actually, the ships' crew advise you not to take your passport ashore. These days passports have become more valuable than money in many cases. We make a COLOR copy, carry that and the ship's on shore representative's info (which can be obtained from the front desk or in the Capers on Carnival) for contact in case of an emergency.

Having a COLOR photocopy can speed things up greatly if you should miss the ship or have an emergency.

We always leave our passport in the safe when on a cruise.

I leave my passport at Pursers desk to have it stamped in each port.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk

I leave my passport at Pursers desk to have it stamped in each port.

ok so how does this work.......I have always wanted to and wondered how I go abot getting my passport stamped.

Do you just take it to the Pursers Desk and leave it for the duration of your cruise and then pick it back up on the final night of the cruise??

ok so how does this work.......I have always wanted to and wondered how I go abot getting my passport stamped.

Do you just take it to the Pursers Desk and leave it for the duration of your cruise and then pick it back up on the final night of the cruise??

Yep. I drop it off the night before we reach our first foreign port and ask them to get it stamped for me. The alway smile and say no problem. The last night they call me and leave a letter in the room reminding me to pick it up that night.

We like to snorkel on a lot of our excursions. My daughter found shams for beach towels. They are used with a lot of swim teams. My husband is 6'2" and it works great on him. The fold up really small and come in a small plastic case. The case is about 12 inches by 2 inches. Takes up a lot less room than a beach towel, and they dry quickly. We found them from swimoutlet.com. I am sure a lot of the swim places sell them.

Picked up this tip on the boards and is very helpful, especially on a port-intensive cruise.

Take a photo of the cover of the Fun Times each day and it will be so easy to tell in which port (or day at sea) you took all your photos that day when you get home and start going through all those pics.

Over door shoe thing -- will never cruise without one again.

A few good size disposable plastic solo cups for carrying drinks when I don't want to have to come back to the room to deposit a real cup -- like before dinner or when debarking.

Kindle

Small (really small) purse for evening

Shower gel in a scent that I can keep using at home to remind me of the cruise

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Picked up this tip on the boards and is very helpful, especially on a port-intensive cruise.

Take a photo of the cover of the Fun Times each day and it will be so easy to tell in which port (or day at sea) you took all your photos that day when you get home and start going through all those pics.

We always buy the photo that they take when you get off the ship in port and match clothing with pictures we take and we always know where we were that day

Some of the safes have a sticker on them saying to NOT use your sign and sail card... I also read in a thread here that if you did it would deactivate your sign and sail, I have no idea if that's true.

It's true. It doesn't happen often, but it happened to me on the morning of disembarkation a couple of years ago. Not with my S&S card but with the old gift card I was using for the safe. What can happen is that the magnetic strip on the card can get de-magnetized and if it does, it will no longer open the safe. I had to call the purser's desk and wait for someone to come up and open the safe for me.

I'm not really sure how the practice of carrying photocopies of passports started, but I've not personally heard of anyone benefiting from it. I think it's more a piece of mind thing for people who think they may lose it.

Having a copy of your passport makes the process of getting a replacement while in a foreign country easier.

My son was on a trip to Europe with a school group - they had told him to bring a copy of his passport packed in his luggage. He misunderstood and left the copy with me. When his passport was stolen, I was able to fax it to his hotel in Paris, and this made the process of getting a replacement at the Embassy easier. Now, me figuring out how to fax internationally at 2am was a different story!

So, no, the copy is not a stand-in for the passport, it just helps to speed the process of getting a replacement when you are in a foreign country.

Well at least with your $17 wrap you weren't breaking any laws.... In MANY ports it is ILLEGAL to bring meats, fruit and other unprocessed food into the country. So, be happy in the fact you're not a scoff-law.

I don't really have any clue. I know when I'm craving potato chips on board I just call room service and ask for a plate of them to be delivered if the dining venues are closed. I guess some people are just too lazy or shy to wander out to the buffet and grab something. :D

Wow!

• 1 month later...
We are sailing on the Fascination on 9/20 .. I was wondering if there are alarm clocks in the cabins? Because we don't plan on having our phones turned on incase of data roaming..

Thanks!

No clocks in the cabins, you can set a wake up call on the phone. I just turn off the data roaming feature on my cell so I can use my cell phone all the time to read books or play games while I'm cruising.