Production Shows too LOUD?!?!?!

Leo Jay

Just HOW LOUD are the Production Shows?  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Just HOW LOUD are the Production Shows?

• Uncomfortably loud, and I’m not averse to loud music generally
    • Uncomfortably loud, but I’m sensitive to loud music generally
    • On the loud side, but not uncomfortable
    • Just about right
    • Not loud enough
    • Other

Music is meant to listen to.

I read an odd statement that if you can't have a conversation while the music is playing then it is too loud. You shouldn't be talking is the simple answer.

It is so annoying people talking so that you can't enjoy the music. If you want to talk, go somewhere else. The musicians are trying to entertain us not to provide a background to talk to.

Enough said

I'd like to introduce a non-subjective measure into this conversation. I took a sound level meter into the theater specifically to get an objective reading of the volume. We gave up attending the shows because we found the volume too high - but I wanted to confirm that it wasn't my aging ears or the types of music being played. At the back of the theater, during the performance by a pop (and amplified) violinist, the meter showed 90 db. When the CD came on stage to bring on the cheers, his shouts pinned the meter at the 100db setting I had used as a max.

Check the various regulations in effect for workplace sound levels to see what they say about those readings. That's why we no longer go to the shows. I'm not sure, but I suspect the rock group performing in the Silhouette atrium as we left the MDR was hitting similar levels.

j

Not sure why you are posting this again...you posted the same thing last week, but in that post you said you didn't remember what the specific readings were. But thanks for taking vacation time to go around with a sound meter, but in reality, your readings are right in line with what OSHA lists for what is expected with live music. Band instruments range from 85-115db. And the high end of an orchestra is 120db or so. The OSHA limits for noise are set by time exposed. The limit for 2hrs is a max of 100db, which is below what you say you got, and your readings were peaks, not constant. So athough you find the level too high, it appears to be well within what you'd expect in live musical pieces, and well below wht is accepted in work environments.

Think I'll just enjoy the music, and if too loud, step out, but I'll not take a meter with me.....I'm on vacation.

Den

On our recent Equinox cruise I found that the cruise director, Damien, was extremely loud whenever he took the mike. I also held my ears during the initial orchestra fanfare. Some of the shows were not too loud, but a few of the big production numbers had me holding my ears at various times. We always sat in the balcony in various locations.

Music is meant to listen to.

I read an odd statement that if you can't have a conversation while the music is playing then it is too loud. You shouldn't be talking is the simple answer.

It is so annoying people talking so that you can't enjoy the music. If you want to talk, go somewhere else. The musicians are trying to entertain us not to provide a background to talk to.

Enough said

My comment was in regards to music playing during dinner and around the pool. Should one not be allowed to talk during dinner? Should the music be so loud that you can't hear your waiter? Is carrying on a conversation around the pool prohibited?

I understand what you mean about certain venues, but the music blasting during dinner and around the pool so loud that you can't carry on a conversation is not pleasant.

Jo-Ann

My comment was in regards to music playing during dinner and around the pool. Should one not be allowed to talk during dinner? Should the music be so loud that you can't hear your waiter? Is carrying on a conversation around the pool prohibited? I understand what you mean about certain venues, but the music blasting during dinner and around the pool so loud that you can't carry on a conversation is not pleasant. Jo-Ann

Agree, Jo-Ann!! Great points on the important dinner versus show sound differences. Dinner is ideal for chatting and sharing experiences. You don't want it too loud here. That's why it's called and should be background music. Talking during the shows is a no-no for others seeking to enjoy the theatre programs.

On our cruise on the Solstice, we super loved the band playing the "Party Tunes" during the pool periods. It's a big, open area and you need to "feel" the vibes from the music. Even here on our cruise, it was not too loud. Below is one of my visual samples for this great fun.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 73,283 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Many times at the pool in the afternoons, the “party band” was going at it with great tunes, adding to the fun and excitement around the pool area. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

I had no idea there had been previous discussions about the noise level on Celebrity ships recently.

Having said that, we've done many Celebrity cruises. We were onboard Silhouette last week and the music was deafening in almost all venues. The ridiculous choice of piped in music around the pool during the day was not only not cruise-appropriate (broadway show tunes, etc.), but it was so loud that I couldn't carry on a conversation with my sister. Same goes for Tuscan Grille and the MDR. I have no problem with the music being cranked up in certain areas of the ship (such as the martini bar, where they want things more "amped" up), but while dining in the MDR or a specialty restaurant, the music selection should be more dinner-appropriate and at a level that one could carry on a conversation. One evening nobody at our dinner table could hear what the waiter was saying because the music was so loud. We requested that it be turned down a bit, and it was.

This is the first time I encountered it on a Celebrity cruise. Many others complained as well.

I had no idea this was a touchy subject, but I for one would like to add my 2 cents that Celebrity needs to make better music selections and keep it at a lower volume in the dining venues.

Loved the Caribbean style music when the live band played around the pool. And the atrium music was very good as well.

Jo-Ann

Maybe the music in the Atrium isn't too loud for passengers at the Elite Cocktail party (held in a different area of the ship) or when passengers are having a cocktail in Michaels.

Perhaps the MDR isn't too loud for passengers dining in Blu.

Tuscan Grill isn't too loud if your dining elsewhere.

Pool music isn't too loud for passengers who sit on their balcony.

Perhaps there should be a poll for this. No complaints if you aren't in the same space as the boom boxes.

Claire

I am in my early 40s and AM sensitive to noise, which is one of the reasons we chose Celebrity over louder lines. On our April 2 Millennium cruise, I found both the piped in and live music to be at completely appropriate levels everywhere on the ship!

The production shows were at about the same volume as shows on land, which IS louder than 20 years ago, for sure.

I was able to have conversations in the Cova Cafe during the day with no problems. At night the music there was more of a performance, so we didn't feel the need to talk during it. I was able to read on the pool deck. The MDR was a bit loud, but that was just the general commotion of lots of people talking. The music was not too loud.

Really, the music everywhere on board seemed just right, and I liked the selection and variety, too.

Just one person's opinion on one ship. Clearly we all have different tastes and tolerances.

On the Solstice in December,

The band tried to out loud play each other and the singers were also competing for the loudest voice. It was too loud and having learnt my lesson from the Eclipse the year before, I took my ear plugs.

For those of you who are tired of the discussion about things being too loud, there's a simple cure: don't open the thread.

For the rest of us, it is an issue. I can't go to the shows without wearing earplugs or putting my hands over my ears. I had given up going and then took a backstage tour with the production manager. Told her of my problem and her response was, "Not my shows!" So I gave it another try. Was still the same too loud. I think these young kids who are running things have already had their hearing ruined and thus their definition of "too loud" is far different from mine.

I would also suggest that the increased volume of posting on this issue would tend to indicate that there is a problem for quite a few people. Otherwise, why would people take the time to post about it?

Anyway, that's my take on the issue.

Well said. I have hearing loss and very loud shows can cause me further damage if I am not prepared in advance. The fact that someone says oh no not another thread is just ignorance in my opinion because they are not aware of the devastating impact that occur by upsetting the cochlear, at the best causing short term discomfort, and at the worst inducing vertigo and sickness. If you don't like the thread then don't open it.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from almost four weeks on the Silhouette.

Paid special attention to the music.

I am 61 and have perfect hearing to give you a sense of where I am coming from.

The production shows are just fine, not loud at all.

We had no problems with the muzak level in the specialty restaurants, around the ship, Cafe El Bacio, Oceanview Buffet and the Bistro. We could carry on conversations very easily.

The Jazz band was just the right volume altho people in the Ensemble Lounge

insisted in talking over the music, it would have been nice if they wouldn't sit right by the band and talk, the rest of us were enjoying the jazz. Very inconsiderate and frustrating, there were lots of couches away from the band

where they could sit and talk.

Kenosis was a bit loud but they are the party band. The lead guitar player was incredible.

But, wow could the cruise director, Paul, ever sing!!

Plus we caught him playing on the white baby grand one day. What a talent.

So hopefully this will put this subject to rest. As the Captain said, OUT.

I haven't seen any other threads about this and am glad to see one.

The music in the theater is HORRIBLY loud, although this isn't a problem only on Celebrity. I've found it so on every ship I've been on. We've learned to take those foam earplugs with us, if we decide to "brave" the high volume of a show. They help, although sometimes, the music is STILL too loud!

With all the attention on how "kids these days" are going deaf because of listening to loud music, you'd think the cruise lines would be more sensitive to this.

We often skip the shows altogether, partly because they're too loud and partly because they're almost always of very low quality.

We just completed a B2B of total 23 days on Infinity. The ambient music and smaller performances around the ship were quite pleasant, but the production shows in the theater were way too amplified. We sat as far back as we could find seats...usually in the back of the balcony. It seems to me that the sound becomes distorted when it's that loud and much of the beauty is lost. This seemed to especially ruin the piano music. We really enjoyed the talent in the shows, but are they supposed to hurt like that?

I was happy to find this discussion as I forgot to put this in my comment form for Celebrity. I hope they see here how people feel about this.

It is interesting to see the diverse opinions on this thread. Much of it probably has to do with what someone is use to. Loud music is prevalent in so many places that most people appear to be very use to it, and consider it to be the norm. One thing I have noticed at weddings recently, though, is that the best bands are usually not as loud as the mediocre ones.

Archived